The Student Room Group

Yezidi woman fleeing Iraq banned by Trump

You can see this is such a well-thought through policy. Banning Yezidi women and Iraqi men who served as translators for the US Army fighting Al-Qaeda. Genius move.

http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/a-yazidi-refugee-stranded-at-the-airport-by-trump

Not a single American has been killed on American soil by someone coming into the US from one of these countries between 1975 and 2017. I actually do think Islamism is a big threat and has to be tackled, but this is completely idiotic. Where is the mass Islamist infiltration that this is supposed to prevent? It's a figment of Trumpite mental illness.

Even Trump probably doesn't think this will actually do anything. All he needs is to be seen to be doing something by his brainless supporters.
Who cares tbh. America can go into reverse for the next 4years if they want to. They're just making fools of themselves. Trump will probably be seen as the point at which global dominance started to transition to other upcoming states. As the pace at which it happens increases, the faster they'll go in the opposite direction trying to get back to the good old days. America's hegemonic status, like any other, has a sell by date and once past that date, you're left with the deluded 'American Idiots' who believe murica is the greatest nation blah blah and cannot accept that other nations are starting to surpass them, which results in people like Trump getting into places of power and just make the problem worse.
Original post by Et Tu, Brute?
Who cares tbh. America can go into reverse for the next 4years if they want to. They're just making fools of themselves. Trump will probably be seen as the point at which global dominance started to transition to other upcoming states. As the pace at which it happens increases, the faster they'll go in the opposite direction trying to get back to the good old days. America's hegemonic status, like any other, has a sell by date and once past that date, you're left with the deluded 'American Idiots' who believe murica is the greatest nation blah blah and cannot accept that other nations are starting to surpass them, which results in people like Trump getting into places of power and just make the problem worse.

America is a big rusty machine that needs to be torn apart, taken down, and rebuilt. It's not a good country, never was, and Trump is proving that which is bittersweet. The USA is a huge looming monster that needs to be tranquilised. But at the same time:

"President Trump suspended the U.S. refugee program for 120 days, banned all immigrants from seven Muslim countries for 90 days and ordered his administration to develop "extreme vetting" measures for immigrants from those countries to keep "radical Islamic terrorists" out of the United States."

There need not be hysteria over such a short term policy.
Translators have a hard enough time fleeing from their home countries to the US. Even with "US support", it can take years for papers to go through. There was a particularly sad story of a translator being targeted by terrorists, eventually losing members of his family while waiting for documents to be approved by the US. This isn't news.

Edit: this isn't the article I was referring to, but it's pretty depressing... https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/10/us/politics/afghan-translators-military-visas.html?_r=0
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/afghan-translators-who-helped-the-us-military-could-lose-their-shot-at-a-visa
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 0to100
America is a big rusty machine that needs to be torn apart, taken down, and rebuilt. It's not a good country, never was, and Trump is proving that which is bittersweet. The USA is a huge looming monster that needs to be tranquilised. But at the same time:

"President Trump suspended the U.S. refugee program for 120 days, banned all immigrants from seven Muslim countries for 90 days and ordered his administration to develop "extreme vetting" measures for immigrants from those countries to keep "radical Islamic terrorists" out of the United States."

There need not be hysteria over such a short term policy.

But greatness and dominance/hegemony are two different things.

As for the ban specifically, it's stupid and will do more harm than good. Syrian refugees who America helped bomb out of their homeland, then refused entry to the USA, great way to promote the western civilisation and not allow next generation Muslims to buy into the radical anti-west Jihadi bs. On the other hand, some Saudi with intentions of committing a terrorist act can get to the states if they want to. Trump talks about the barbarises of IS, justifying US torture as a legit thing to do because IS cut off heads, while he'll jump into bed with a brutal regime which systematically cuts off heads on a regular basis. The hypocrisy of western nations regarding Saudi Arabia is disgusting.

Its a shame the likes of Gaddafi weren't around anymore. Then again, the reason for that is he stepped too far out of line with his anti-western ways, so he gets bombed. UK/US hate seeing strong Arab leaders. They only want weak, spineless little vermin who'll get them a good oil deal and keep quiet.
Original post by AlexanderHam
You can see this is such a well-thought through policy. Banning Yezidi women and Iraqi men who served as translators for the US Army fighting Al-Qaeda. Genius move.

http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/a-yazidi-refugee-stranded-at-the-airport-by-trump

Not a single American has been killed on American soil by someone coming into the US from one of these countries between 1975 and 2017. I actually do think Islamism is a big threat and has to be tackled, but this is completely idiotic. Where is the mass Islamist infiltration that this is supposed to prevent? It's a figment of Trumpite mental illness.

Even Trump probably doesn't think this will actually do anything. All he needs is to be seen to be doing something by his brainless supporters.

I think it's incredibly rude to call over 60 million people 'brainless' when America is at the forefront of technological advancement and responsible for numerous firsts in world history.
Now the left are concerned with the plight of the Yezidi.

Took a while didn't it.

It gets better....

The left are now concerned over the plight of Iraqis who worked with US forces in Iraq.

Yeah, that rings true.......
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Harold98
I think it's incredibly rude to call over 60 million people 'brainless' when America is at the forefront of technological advancement and responsible for numerous firsts in world history.

I'm sorry, how exactly do those 60 million Trump voters get to take credit for that?
Original post by joe cooley
Now the left are concerned with the plight of the Yezidi.

Took a while didn't it.

What a laughable hypocrite you are.

First, I've always been an opponent of Islam from the left, just like Sam Harris or Bill Maher. If you're going to attack on the basis of hypocrisy, maybe you should check first that the person you're attacking has actually held the positions you're claiming? Otherwise you just look like an idiot.

Second, you're really going to claim that somehow you care for the Yezidis while simultaneously supporting a policy that makes their lives worse? What a confused numpty you are.

The left are now concerned over the plight of Iraqis who worked with US forces in Iraq

Yes, I am concerned about that. Don't tell me you are; you're from the isolationist right. You don't even want to be in Iraq.
Original post by AlexanderHam
What a laughable hypocrite you are.

First, I've always been an opponent of Islam from the left, just like Sam Harris or Bill Maher. If you're going to attack on the basis of hypocrisy, maybe you should check first that the person you're attacking has actually held the positions you're claiming? Otherwise you just look like an idiot.

Second, you're really going to claim that somehow you care for the Yezidis while simultaneously supporting a policy that makes their lives worse? What a confused numpty you are.

Yes, I am concerned about that. Don't tell me you are; you're from the isolationist right. You don't even want to be in Iraq.

Of course you and the other left wing members have been concerned over the years of oppression the Yezidi have suffered at the hands of ISIS, i can tell that by the numerous threads on the forum started by people just like you..........not really, there aren't any.

Nope, i am not an isolationist.

To be honest seeing the left pretend to care about the military is quite nauseating and more to the point,unbelievable.
Reply 10
good for trump! he is delivering on his promises!
Original post by Houthi2
good for trump! he is delivering on his promises!

Not only that, he has also managed to get the left to notice Muslim persecution of non-Muslim religious minorities and to express concern for the military!

The man is a miracle worker.
Original post by Et Tu, Brute?

global dominance is less likely to shift into the hands of other countries with trump at the helm.

didnt you see his america first speech? He also meant america first on the global stage fyi

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's a short term policy..... why care so much

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WhiteKnight747
global dominance is less likely to shift into the hands of other countries with trump at the helm.

didnt you see his america first speech? He also meant america first on the global stage fyi

Posted from TSR Mobile

O rlly? soz, didn't no dat...

Nah, actually cba pretending to believe in your alt-facts. You'll probably find we aren't living in a pre-1950s world anymore and an isolationist outlook which involves shredding up trade agreements, threatening to heavily tax rising global leaders, insulting+threatening to tax top trading partners, promoting a fossil fuel economy whilst damaging the renewable industry is definitely not how to go about staying a global leader in a modern world. Not to mention the increasing systematic oppression of immigrants from the Arab/middle eastern nations, I'm sure places such as Shenzhen/HK, Dublin/London/Stockholm, Vancouver, Chennai etc etc wouldn't complain much about Silicon Valley missing out on the vast number of skilled STEM related employees from those regions.
(edited 7 years ago)
rather sad and clumsy application of the policy suppossedly to intecercept potential islamist threats by blocking entry to a woman of pre-islamic faith, a yazeidi who have been persecuted by muslims a thousand years before america existed.
ive a feeling once this flies through the media an exception for her will be made

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending