The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

MPhil at Cambridge or PhD at KCL

Hi, I have applied for a PhD in Education programme at Cambridge, but my supervisors considered me for an MPhil programme instead. However, I have been accepted by KCL for a PhD programme. Apart from the funding issue, which one would you recommend going for? Thank you!
Original post by Ripon92
Hi, I have applied for a PhD in Education programme at Cambridge, but my supervisors considered me for an MPhil programme instead. However, I have been accepted by KCL for a PhD programme. Apart from the funding issue, which one would you recommend going for? Thank you!

What is your background?
Are you an undergraduate at Cambridge/other university at the moment?
Is the supervisor that of Cambridge?

Btw this forum is mainly for undergraduate applicants and students, so you'll have a better chance getting reply if you post this in Postgraduate forum. But even there, they'll need more detail about your current situation as MPhil and PhD are very different in structure/level/purpose, without those info, no one can give you appropriate advice.
(edited 7 years ago)
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by vincrows
What is your background?
Are you an undergraduate at Cambridge/other university at the moment?
Is the supervisor that of Cambridge?

Btw this forum is mainly for undergraduate applicants and students, so you'll have a better chance getting reply if you post this in Postgraduate forum. But even there, they'll need more detail about your current situation as MPhil and PhD are very different in structure/level/purpose, without those info, no one can give you appropriate advice.

Hi, thank you. Sorry, I did not notice that it's mainly for undergraduate level. I am now finishing my Master's degree from Sciences Po Paris majoring in International Development. I did my Bachelor in Public Administration. My supervisor at Cambridge works mainly on the issues related to primary and secondary education governance. Thank you for your helpful reply! :smile:
Original post by Ripon92
Hi, thank you. Sorry, I did not notice that it's mainly for undergraduate level. I am now finishing my Master's degree from Sciences Po Paris majoring in International Development. I did my Bachelor in Public Administration. My supervisor at Cambridge works mainly on the issues related to primary and secondary education governance. Thank you for your helpful reply! :smile:

in many instances registering for an MPhil is a preliminary stage in the completing of the PhD, granting 'Probationary Research Status'. Upgrading from here is only a formality conditional on the completing of courses in quantitative and qualitative methods, research design and ethics, and likely an outline and or a literature review.

If your prospective supervisor is saying that you will initially be registered like this, almost certainly for a degree called 'MPhil Education (Research)', the bracketed bit being part of the name, then that is only the way in which the faculty delivers its research training for doctoral students. If she is suggesting that you do one of their thematic taught masters, and pay for it, you should say "thanks, but I've got a Masters from one of the best social science schools in the world" and do the King's PhD.
Original post by Ripon92

Ok thanks for the info.
Since you'rve been doing a master in a different field, perhaps your supervisor thought you'll benefit from have one more step (MPhil) before you embark on your research for PhD.
I assume you have submitted your PhD research proposal to both unis?
Ok thanks for the info.
Since you'rve been doing a master in a different field, perhaps your supervisor thought you'll benefit from have one more step (MPhil) before you embark on your research for PhD.
I assume you have submitted your PhD research proposal to both unis?

Hi, yes I have submitted the proposal to both universities. The admission committee on behalf of my supervisors suggested me to do the MPhil and if I get sufficient grade they will then consider me for a PhD programme though they do not explicitly mention that I can do a PhD afterward.
Reply 6
As per the advice already given, and also follow the links in this thread.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4251458
Are you a postgrad applicant to Cambridge? Read this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cambio wechsel
in many instances registering for an MPhil is a preliminary stage in the completing of the PhD, granting 'Probationary Research Status'. Upgrading from here is only a formality conditional on the completing of courses in quantitative and qualitative methods, research design and ethics, and likely an outline and or a literature review.

If your prospective supervisor is saying that you will initially be registered like this, almost certainly for a degree called 'MPhil Education (Research)', the bracketed bit being part of the name, then that is only the way in which the faculty delivers its research training for doctoral students. If she is suggesting that you do one of their thematic taught masters, and pay for it, you should say "thanks, but I've got a Masters from one of the best social science schools in the world" and do the King's PhD.

Yes you are right, it is like that at KCL, but Cambridge does not say anything explicitly in this regard. They only say many students continue their PhD after successfully completing their MPhil. The MPhil course they have suggested me to take at Cambridge is a research programme. I have seen on the website that to get into a PhD programme one has to obtain at least 70% in their final thesis. It is sure that I will get admission to the PhD, but I have to spend one additional year. Thanks!
Original post by jneill
As per the advice already given, and also follow the links in this thread.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4251458
Are you a postgrad applicant to Cambridge? Read this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks so much.
Original post by Ripon92
Hi, yes I have submitted the proposal to both universities. The admission committee on behalf of my supervisors suggested me to do the MPhil and if I get sufficient grade they will then consider me for a PhD programme though they do not explicitly mention that I can do a PhD afterward.

OK....
That actually confirms what I was assuming before. They probably are not quite convinced enough you're up for PhD at Cambridge without completing MPhil course.
I have no knowledge on either Cambridge or KCL's postgraduate education course/programme, so you'll have to ask at Postgraduate forum on that, but it'd depend on whether you want to strengthen your academic foundation by enrolling MPhil and then on to PhD or you want to publish your PhD paper as soon as possible.

What matters a lot with PhD is not so much about a name of university/institute you're doing your PhD at but more about what your research is about and who your supervisor is , so make sure both/either of them have a good academic in the field who will agree to supervise you.
OK....
That actually confirms what I was assuming before. They probably are not quite convinced enough you're up for PhD at Cambridge without completing MPhil course.
I have no knowledge on either Cambridge or KCL's postgraduate education course/programme, so you'll have to ask at Postgraduate forum on that, but it'd depend on whether you want to strengthen your academic foundation by enrolling MPhil and then on to PhD or you want to publish your PhD paper as soon as possible.

What matters a lot with PhD is not so much about a name of university/institute you're doing your PhD at but more about what your research is about and who your supervisor is , so make sure both/either of them have a good academic in the field who will agree to supervise you.

Hi, thanks for your helpful reply. I found my MPhil supervisor very nice and well-known in the field I am interested in. I was not sure if I could easily continue PhD after finishing one year MPhil there. I will post at postgraduate forum as well. Thanks again.
Original post by Ripon92
Hi, thanks for your helpful reply. I found my MPhil supervisor very nice and well-known in the field I am interested in. I was not sure if I could easily continue PhD after finishing one year MPhil there. I will post at postgraduate forum as well. Thanks again.

I read your earlier post.
So it's a research MPhil, rather than a taught-MPhil course then?
That actually confirms my assumption even more. :wink:
If you're happy with the supervisor at Cambridge, I'd be inclined to follow his advice. You can decide after one year if you want to continue your research to PhD level. You may, or you may not, until then.
And If you want to move on to PhD, you don't have to do it at Cambridge, you know?

Edit: FYI it's usually easier to get funding for PhD than Master/MPhil, so if financial issue is one of things you need to consider, it's worth start searching for funding possibilities now before you decide.
(edited 7 years ago)
I read your earlier post.
So it's a research MPhil, rather than a taught-MPhil course then?
That actually confirms my assumption even more. :wink:
If you're happy with the supervisor at Cambridge, I'd be inclined to follow his advice. You can decide after one year if you want to continue your research to PhD level. You may, or you may not, until then.
And If you want to move on to PhD, you don't have to do it at Cambridge, you know?

Edit: FYI it's usually easier to get funding for PhD than Master/MPhil, so if financial issue is one of things you need to consider, it's worth start searching for funding possibilities now before you decide.

Hi Thanks for following up further. Yeah, it is a research MPhil programme. Right now I am waiting for the funding decision, which is a big matter for me. I hope I will be able to take a decision soon. Thanks again.
Original post by cambio wechsel

Wow And I thought I gave you advice I just really appreciate what you just said there thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending