The Student Room Group

How the **** do people get jobs?

I left Sixth Form and want to work in IT, or media, or just a cinema for now but I seem to have no idea how to get a job or apprenticeship. I apply to things but I very rarely get a reply.

I feel like I'm missing a link or something and am missing something obvious about getting a job.
Original post by similarBlank
I left Sixth Form and want to work in IT, or media, or just a cinema for now but I seem to have no idea how to get a job or apprenticeship. I apply to things but I very rarely get a reply.

I feel like I'm missing a link or something and am missing something obvious about getting a job.

Young people mainly get jobs because they're not in education. An employer would rather hire someone who dropped out after year 11, because they have no commitments to anything else outside of work. Employers are put off by applicants who can only work at X time on Y number of days and have Z number of commitments like school, and who could resign at any time to study before exams or because their school/college has told them to.

Someone who has nothing else going in their lives might work Saturday as part of their contract, or is doing an extra shift, not just on Saturdays. Employers want people who are so desperate for the job they will work whenever they want, and are not likely to leave.
Reply 2
Well arguably its connections, the figure floats around but the most commonly quoted is 60-70% of jobs go unadvertised. These places are filled by friends of those already employed at the company who can vouch for them as hard working, or the company simply looks at the CVs left on their employment website or the ones people have handed in.
Original post by Rise-up
Well arguably its connections, the figure floats around but the most commonly quoted is 60-70% of jobs go unadvertised. These places are filled by friends of those already employed at the company who can vouch for them as hard working, or the company simply looks at the CVs left on their employment website or the ones people have handed in.

How do I make connections?
(edited 7 years ago)
How doI make connections?

You don't. Your dad has to have a mate whose brother's son's girlfriend has a connection to X person. You just apply and apply until someone gives you something, that's how it is and always will be for the vast majority of people.
Original post by Glassapple
You don't. Your dad has to have a mate whose brother's son's girlfriend has a connection to X person. You just apply and apply until someone gives you something, that's how it is and always will be for the vast majority of people.

Okay, so not me I have to find a job the hard way.
It feels like I'm missing something but I don't know what. I just can't seem to get a start in life and it really p@£$es me off.
It feels like I'm missing something but I don't know what. I just can't seem to get a start in life and it really p@£$es me off.

Unfortunately, that's what life is. If everyone had everything they wanted, the world would stop working. Try and try again.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending