The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Sunderland
University of Sunderland
Sunderland
Visit website

Sunderland University Primary Education Interview (BA Hons)

Hi, I have an interview at Sunderland University on the 31st this month for Primary Education. Has anyone had their interview yet? And if so what was it like and what happened at the interview? Any help would be great, thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I also have an interview for Primary Education on the 31st.. Have you found anything out? Have you completed the skills tests already? x
Student in halls, University of Sunderland
University of Sunderland
Sunderland
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by MollieB99
Hi, I also have an interview for Primary Education on the 31st.. Have you found anything out? Have you completed the skills tests already? x

I have been doing research and know that we will have an introduction then be separated into groups where you have to present your artefacts. After you are given a written task, which is a question, but its to test spelling and grammar (that's all I know about that). After you do a maths task in a group too which is an questions which a child did not get write and need to find out what they did wrong, then you need to tell others how you would teach it next time. After you need to order important traits a teacher should have. Then I think you have the one-to-one interview. I have only got that from forums and stuff I have found online, I hope it helps! x
Original post by amyhen94
I have been doing research and know that we will have an introduction then be separated into groups where you have to present your artefacts. After you are given a written task, which is a question, but its to test spelling and grammar (that's all I know about that). After you do a maths task in a group too which is an questions which a child did not get write and need to find out what they did wrong, then you need to tell others how you would teach it next time. After you need to order important traits a teacher should have. Then I think you have the one-to-one interview. I have only got that from forums and stuff I have found online, I hope it helps! x

Ahh thanks, I haven't found an artefact for my presentation yet, I had an idea but realised it didn't fall into a curriculum area, it was more for SEAL.. now I have 3 days to think of something! I've tried to find what other people did for inspiration but can't find much x
Reply 4
Ahh thanks, I haven't found an artefact for my presentation yet, I had an idea but realised it didn't fall into a curriculum area, it was more for SEAL.. now I have 3 days to think of something! I've tried to find what other people did for inspiration but can't find much x

It's fine! I don't know what to take either when I've been looking thst people take books and pictures x
It's fine! I don't know what to take either when I've been looking thst people take books and pictures x

Do you know what you're gonna wear? x
Good luck with your interview. I had one at Sunderland a week last Friday and unfortunately was not successful. I'd advise you to get a good night's sleep beforehand, as I think my tiredness was the biggest factor. I have an interview at Northumbria next month, so I'll be better prepared.
Reply 7
Do you know what you're gonna wear? x

I think some smart trousers and a blouse, what about you? X
Reply 8
Original post by enivedllihp
Good luck with your interview. I had one at Sunderland a week last Friday and unfortunately was not successful. I'd advise you to get a good night's sleep beforehand, as I think my tiredness was the biggest factor. I have an interview at Northumbria next month, so I'll be better prepared.

Thank you! I have one at Northumbria next month too! What's date is yours?
Friday before half term. 16th? Something like that. How about you?
Reply 10
Friday before half term. 16th? Something like that. How about you?

Mines the 16th of February
I think some smart trousers and a blouse, what about you? X

Yeah I was thinking the same. I'm nervous :frown: x

Sorry to hear that, good luck with your next interview, at least you can improve on what you think went wrong. Would you be able to explain a little about the presentation part of the Sunderland interview? Like what people did / talked about. I'm so nervous
Reply 13
Yeah I was thinking the same. I'm nervous :frown: x

So am I, I am most nervous for the presentation, have you planned yours? x
The first 15 - 20 minutes is a seminar. You'll be sat listening to how the University is the nth best in the country and was nominated for an award a few years ago... blah, blah, blah... Make sure you take a pillow for that bit.
You're then split into groups of 6/7 and are told that your group has the best candidates and you're all guaranteed a place. (Massive lie!) You'll then be asked to talk about your artifact. I'd advise you to take in something unique and be able to talk about it confidently for about five minutes. Be prepared to answer questions about it at the end by everyone in the group.
You'll then be asked to write for fifteen minutes about a possible situation in the classroom and how you would deal with it. Grammar and spelling is just as important as the content. (Apparently)
The next task is a maths problem. You'll be working with another candidate in the room to try and come up with a solution to a popular mathematic misconception amongst children. You will then stand and present your solution to the rest of the group.
The final task will be a whole group discussion on teaching methods.
Following that, you'll have a 1-2-1 interview/chat.
It's all a bit airy-fairy to make you feel as relaxed as possible, but I'd suggest you take any praise with a pinch of salt.
Be confident and smile lots, you should hopefully do much better than me!
Good luck. Please let me know how you get on!
So am I, I am most nervous for the presentation, have you planned yours? x

Yeah I'm really nervous for presentation. Do you think we can take notes in when presenting our artefact? I haven't done a powerpoint presentation, just gonna talk about it.. but yeah wasn't sure if we can take a few notes in to look back on? what are you gonna do x
The first 15 - 20 minutes is a seminar. You'll be sat listening to how the University is the nth best in the country and was nominated for an award a few years ago... blah, blah, blah... Make sure you take a pillow for that bit.
You're then split into groups of 6/7 and are told that your group has the best candidates and you're all guaranteed a place. (Massive lie!) You'll then be asked to talk about your artifact. I'd advise you to take in something unique and be able to talk about it confidently for about five minutes. Be prepared to answer questions about it at the end by everyone in the group.
You'll then be asked to write for fifteen minutes about a possible situation in the classroom and how you would deal with it. Grammar and spelling is just as important as the content. (Apparently)
The next task is a maths problem. You'll be working with another candidate in the room to try and come up with a solution to a popular mathematic misconception amongst children. You will then stand and present your solution to the rest of the group.
The final task will be a whole group discussion on teaching methods.
Following that, you'll have a 1-2-1 interview/chat.
It's all a bit airy-fairy to make you feel as relaxed as possible, but I'd suggest you take any praise with a pinch of salt.
Be confident and smile lots, you should hopefully do much better than me!
Good luck. Please let me know how you get on!

Thanks for all the info. What did you use for your artefact? What sort of questions do people ask you about it? Also, did you find the maths exercise difficult? x
My artefact was a potato. I described how it can be used cross-curricular: science, art and maths. My questions were how I would use it in subjects like religious study and language. I was asked if I knew what the word potato was in different languages.
The maths question is okay. It's a question aimed at KS2 kids, but the interviewers will sit and watch you come up with your own solution, rather than just going with your partners ideas.
Yeah I'm really nervous for presentation. Do you think we can take notes in when presenting our artefact? I haven't done a powerpoint presentation, just gonna talk about it.. but yeah wasn't sure if we can take a few notes in to look back on? what are you gonna do x

I wouldn't advise taking notes in, as they'd be expecting you to speak as if you're in front of a room full of children. You won't be using powerpoints, just well-rehearsed knowledge.
Reply 19

I have just been going over a speech to go with the artefact, I've been looking at what everyone else took and now mine doesn't seem very good aha. What time does your interview start tomorrow? x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending