The Student Room Group

Is Nicki Minaj a feminist icon?

I was at a party over the weekend and a few women were huddled in a group watching Nicki Minaj's 'Anaconda' video, and they were discussing how she is a feminist icon.

I assumed they were either being ironic or were high, but apparently they were neither.

Video:

[video="youtube;LDZX4ooRsWs"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDZX4ooRsWs[/video]

Tell me: Am I missing something?

Scroll to see replies

u joined in 2006?!
i was only 4 at the time....
Lol Nicki Minaj? Hahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nicky MénageAtrois
I think Emma Watson is.
Keep her in the irrelevant field where Iggy and Miley shot her down and left her for dead

Plus no one needs you to post that nightmare of a video.
Yes, she perfectly sums up modern feminism. Hyper sexualised, materialistic, moronic and grotesque.
Reply 7
Original post by Zargabaath
Yes, she perfectly sums up modern feminism. Hyper sexualised, materialistic, moronic and grotesque.

Well I'm glad it's not just me :biggrin:
Original post by tamil fever
u joined in 2006?!

How old are u rn like 14-15?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by saraxh
I think Emma Watson is.

She does too actually, "he for she" summaries modern feminism well too.

Men and women are equal, so men should focus on women's issues and we shouldn't even mention men's issues.
DAT ASS THOo
(edited 7 years ago)
Miki Minach
Although she doesn't really appear to be one, she could be?

She's openly for equality, as well as promoting education, and getting younger fans to remain in education and improve their life etc.
Reply 13
Original post by tamil fever
u joined in 2006?!

Shut up :frown:
Original post by Zargabaath

You forgot laughably hypocritical

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Vikram Mansingh
How old are u rn like 14-15?

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes.lol:colondollar:
It's sickening that so many young girls idolise women like her. Why can't they look up to true female icons, such as Margaret Thatcher, Ann Widdecombe, and Phyllis Schlafly?
I think she is. She's not just a fat ass.
She always talks about how important it is for women to be independent and not to depend on a man for anything. She pushes for young girls to stay in school in order for them to become successful business women. She created a lane for herself, and defied everyone that ever doubted her!
Original post by cherryred90s
I think she is. She's not just a fat ass.
She always talks about how important it is for women to be independent and not to depend on a man for anything. She pushes for young girls to stay in school in order for them to become successful business women. She created a lane for herself, and defied everyone that ever doubted her!

She does also like a bit of body shaming but I suppose you can't be a feminist without a bit of hypocrisy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Underscore__
She does also like a bit of body shaming but I suppose you can't be a feminist without a bit of hypocrisy

Posted from TSR Mobile

Anaconda was made because slim women are idolised a lot and the more curvy women are made to feel like they aren't appealing, but I agree that she could've worded it differently instead of saying 'f*ck them skinny b*tches', but that's not to say that she can't be an icon

Quick Reply