The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

St Andrews Hopefuls 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wolfmoon88
I disagree with the idea of privatising healthcare and education.

The government has a duty to educate it's people. Privatising education would just cause too many issues. One issue that is particularly concerning in my opinion is large education corporations like Pearson controlling what children learn which results in company policy/the ideas pf the company engrained in the next generation. Of course governments can also do this too but since the government is voted into power by the people, I would assume that they will be held accountable for their actions.

In terms of healthcare, while universal healthcare may not be a viable option in some countries, the government has a duty to provide its citizens with the basic means to access healthcare facilities at a relatively cheap price. So a public-private model may work in this circumstance but I have to look further into this issue.

All of these are just my opinions of course :tongue:

It's interesting that you mentioned that shaping what we learn could actually come at a cost, though there's no need to expand on what costs, it's interesting because some people, some economists, might argue that shaping the way we learn to match firms needs/ expectations is actually beneficial for the economy but again there's no need to expand because I was just curious about your opinions :smile:

I agree with your healthcare stance and I think it should be provided by those who can deliver quality and deliver it quickly and efficiently (for such a thing it's extremely important and thus to somewhat paraphrase the design mix = function > time quality > cost/ price [though this is obvs some kind of utopia-like service and my opinion, some might put price first because the provision of such a good/ availability is relative as you said])
(edited 7 years ago)
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by wolfmoon88
Oxford reject so most likely will be my first choice as well xD

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its all very random anyway, my friend with straight A*s, Achieving ones in STEP(Maths) and very good at interviews was rejected so it's not all to bad, (Plus StA seems secretly better :wink: )

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by soccermom39
It's interesting that you mentioned that shaping what we learn could actually come at a cost, though there's no need to expand on what costs, it's interesting because some people, some economists, might argue that shaping the way we learn to match firms needs/ expectations is actually beneficial for the economy but again there's no need to expand because I was just curious about your opinions :smile:

I agree with your healthcare stance and I think it should be provided by those who can deliver quality and deliver it quickly and efficiently (for such a thing it's extremely important and thus to somewhat paraphrase the design mix = function > time quality > cost/ price [though this is obvs some kind of utopia-like service and my opinion, some might put price first because the provision of such a good/ availability is relative as you said])

That's interesting. What do these economists mean when they say the shaping education to match firm needs/expectations can be beneficial for the economy? is it like the assembly line model when we are teaching kids skills so that they could be more beneficial to the workforce as a whole? or is it the more innovative, teaching kids how to think so that they can contribute to entrepreneurship opportunities and such? Interesting point of view nonetheless.

I would say in a more utopian system all of those functions in the design mix would be somewhat equal in importance (function=time=price)- personally I think that price is more important than time- but yes this let's say necessity can be described in terms of a commodity because unfortunately, it is not readily available right now to many people around the globe.

Original post by J-Winter
Its all very random anyway, my friend with straight A*s, Achieving ones in STEP(Maths) and very good at interviews was rejected so it's not all to bad, (Plus StA seems secretly better :wink: )

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah the Oxbridge process seems to be random af... meh hahaha St A's seems to be a great place :wink:
Original post by daisysaxelby
Thanks haha. I applied for year 2 but I'm a bit worried because it doesn't look like many other people have.

About 1/3 of my class, including me, started in year two.

Original post by J-Winter
I applied to year 2, do you think we'll be intergrated with the new year ones?

You will be in the same lectures, but will do different lab work for the first few weeks. :smile:
Original post by Woody4v
Wow! Nice choices :wink: Unconditionals from Heriot Watt, Glasgow and StA. Just waiting on Edinburgh and Strathclyde. How about you? :smile:

I've heard back from them all now, I have offers from all except Cambridge :smile:
Original post by Econhopeful17
hey 😊 I have applied to economics. Has anyone had an offer yet? (I am Scottish applicant)

Well done to all offer holders! 🙌🏻

Still waiting for MA Economics (Scottish/SQA applicant)
Good luck everyone...
Original post by Lucylu.est.1999
Still waiting for MA Economics (Scottish/SQA applicant)
Good luck everyone...

Hi! Ditto! Fingers crossed! I haven't seen any Scottish applicants with offers for Economics yet! I assume you also applied to Edinburgh? Also waiting for them to reply. I have my back uni - Glasgow and my 4th and 5th choices - unconditional. But still would like to know St A and E so I know what's happening! How about u?
Hi! Ditto! Fingers crossed! I haven't seen any Scottish applicants with offers for Economics yet! I assume you also applied to Edinburgh? Also waiting for them to reply. I have my back uni - Glasgow and my 4th and 5th choices - unconditional. But still would like to know St A and E so I know what's happening! How about u?

Haha pretty much the exact same as you!
Unconditional's- Glasgow, Strathclyde and Stirling
Waiting- Edinburgh and St Andrews
Original post by Lucylu.est.1999
Haha pretty much the exact same as you!
Unconditional's- Glasgow, Strathclyde and Stirling
Waiting- Edinburgh and St Andrews

Hahahahaha! I just phoned St A just now, was told bulk of decisions for Scots/Eu will be by the end of Feb and some stragglers in March up to the end. Rejections are sent out as and when they come along as such, so no special bulk send out or anything! What grades did you get, if you don't mind me asking! What you doing this year?
Reply 829
Has anyone who has applied for Chemistry had a reply yet? I applied on the 2nd of October and am yet to hear anything. Had offers from all other Universities in the first week and I'm starting to get a bit worried.
Original post by Edenbee
Has anyone who has applied for Chemistry had a reply yet? I applied on the 2nd of October and am yet to hear anything. Had offers from all other Universities in the first week and I'm starting to get a bit worried.

Hi - I think some have had offers for chemistry but not sure if international or English or Scots/eu pool! Hopefully you hear soon. If you look back a few pages you will see.
Reply 832
Just got mine today for 3 A's. I'm studying English :smile: :smile: :smile:
Reply 833
Hey have any EU/Scots applicants heard from St Andrew's or Edinburgh for History?
Original post by nat5
Hey have any EU/Scots applicants heard from St Andrew's or Edinburgh for History?

Nope :/ applied for history & economics
Hahahahaha! I just phoned St A just now, was told bulk of decisions for Scots/Eu will be by the end of Feb and some stragglers in March up to the end. Rejections are sent out as and when they come along as such, so no special bulk send out or anything! What grades did you get, if you don't mind me asking! What you doing this year?

Was that info for a specific department or the uni as a whole? Thanks
Reply 836
Original post by JAJM

SAME!!!!
Original post by goodadvice12
Was that info for a specific department or the uni as a whole? Thanks

I was asking specifically for Economics and specifically for the only relevant pool to Scots applicants - Scots & eu. So I can't be quite sure if it related to other areas, sorry!
Reply 838
Just got an offer for German and Management with a year abroad!!! Applied on 23rd November
Original post by JAJM

Same!! Just got mine! Is St A's your first choice? If so see you in September!!😃

Quick Reply

Latest