The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I have a question, if any of you could help me. Although I'm not from USA and I haven't applied to any university there, I took the SATs. I completed the scores in the Qualifications Section on UCAS, but I haven't sent the scores officially to Cambridge. I've heard from some people that (there were cases?) when they equivalated the conditions in an offer with the scores from SAT. Is it true, or would it be worth to send a mail asking? Thank you!

@jneill @Zacken
(edited 7 years ago)
When you're a beggar for every mark possible in your homework/practises assessments because you're about that A* life

"I think this'll get a high mark"
"How high is high"
"Top band"
Inner me: "How many marks may I have dropped in a world where I can't drop too many marks"

:lol:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by physicsmaths
Ive met him irl. I see him in lectures so i guess hes real.

Lool there's no need to keep this up physicsmaths. I think they're catching on...
Original post by wolfmoon88
Cuz I'm not here xD :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think you'll find that it was actually because I, the conqueror of the last post on the Oxford thread, was not present...BUT DON'T PANIC, I have arrived.
Original post by carpenoctem
I think you'll find that it was actually because I, the conqueror of the last post on the Oxford thread, was not present...BUT DON'T PANIC, I have arrived.

Bruv, nah I'm was a more majestic presence on the Cambs thread then you ever were on the Oxford thread even when you had conquered the last post so :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SteamboatMickey
When you're a beggar for every mark possible in your homework/practises assessments because you're about that A* life

"I think this'll get a high mark"
"How high is high"
"Top band"
Inner me: "How many marks may I have dropped in a world where I can't drop too many marks"

:lol:

Omg relatable

Like my teachers will drop me a mark or two in my stuff because they're 'allowing for harsh marking' or 'not really wanting to give full marks' and I'm like lolwut 😐
Original post by Steliata
Omg relatable

Like my teachers will drop me a mark or two in my stuff because they're 'allowing for harsh marking' or 'not really wanting to give full marks' and I'm like lolwut 😐

My life.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1007
Omg relatable

Is harsh marking even a thing for A Levels? It's all so standardised I really doubt it.
Original post by alow
Is harsh marking even a thing for A Levels? It's all so standardised I really doubt it.

I'm not sure either but I think they're being cautious since English is a new a level and they're not sure how the examiners will apply the mark scheme. Still annoying though :mad:
Original post by alow

Not everyone is a scientist..
Reply 1010
Original post by k.russell
Not everyone is a scientist..

Doesn't matter.
Original post by alow

Usually 'harsh marking' is teacher-speak for 'I don't really know how the exam is marked'.

It's surprisingly common to find teachers with no real understanding of the technicalities of A-level marking/awarding. My best friend's history teacher thought that to get an A* you required over 90% in both the coursework and written exam, when in fact it was 90% overall (180/200) in the coursework and exam.
Original post by alow
Doesn't matter.

Trust me new spec essay subjects are in no way standardised - mark scheme is the vaguest thing ever and it almost entirely boils down to subjectivity.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Forecast
Usually 'harsh marking' is teacher-speak for 'I don't really know how the exam is marked'.

It's surprisingly common to find teachers with no real understanding of the technicalities of A-level marking/awarding. My best friend's history teacher thought that to get an A* you required over 90% in both the coursework and written exam, when in fact it was 90% overall (180/200) in the coursework and exam.

Was that for the old spec?
Original post by Obiejess
Trust me new spec essay subjects are in no way standardised - mark scheme is the vaguest thing ever and it almost entirely boils down to subjectivity.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hate it. I absolutely hate it. How I'm meant to get A*A*A I'll never know!! I mean it's entirely achievable ability wise cos I can get 32/40 with no revision etc but I can't trust that the examiners will interpret the markscheme how my teachers do, plus other forms of subjectivity, plus the changes to marking means RIP
(edited 7 years ago)
Omg relatable

when my english teacher dropped me 4 marks in my english essay but gave me no critical comments lol
I hate it. I absolutely hate it. How I'm meant to get A*A*A I'll never know!! I mean it's entirely achievable ability wise cos I can get 32/40 with no revision etc but I can't trust that the examiners will interpret the markscheme how my teachers do, plus other forms of subjectivity, plus the changes to marking means RIP

This is why I got a B in English Lit at AS, but when bought back it should have been an A according to my teachers, and was of the same if not better quality than the other students who got As. Even the examiners don't know what they're doing with this spec ffs. (Wish I'd got it remarked now)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Was that for the old spec?

Yes, and the 180/200 was uniform marks (UMS) not raw marks; the actual number of marks in the exam needed to get that varied from year to year.

In the new specification it's slightly different - there are no UMS marks - but the principle is the same: for AQA, say, you have the coursework (40 marks), and two written papers (80 marks each). The grade boundaries will be set based on the total mark of all of the components, out of 200. You don't have to reach some threshold in any particular part in order to qualify for a particular grade. None of the boundaries are fixed, they are set by a panel of senior examiners after all the papers have been marked taking various factors into account, such as the statistical distribution of marks and reviews of individual exam scripts in comparison to ones from previous years.
Reply 1018
Big shout out to all my fellow Cambridge rejects out there. You're still very very good! I got rejected by Cambridge last year, accepted into Oxford this year:cool:
Original post by m1m2
Big shout out to all my fellow Cambridge rejects out there. You're still very very good! I got rejected by Cambridge last year, accepted into Oxford this year:cool:

For what subject? :tongue:

Congratulations btw :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending