The Student Room Group

Iranian PHD student banned from US despite having a house, job, dog and car

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TSR Mustafa
Lol wont stop mericans from shooting up schools

At least it will reduce the risk of Islamic terror. If Muslims do not like America, then America has the right not to let them in. At the end of the day, America should have full control of their borders and no one except Americans has an absolute right to enter the United States; it is a mere privilege for the rest of the world.
Original post by biglad2k16
At least it will reduce the risk of Islamic terror. If Muslims do not like America, then America has the right not to let them in. At the end of the day, America should have full control of their borders and no one except Americans has an absolute right to enter the United States; it is a mere privilege for the rest of the world.

Lol 1/3 of the world doesnt like merica according to you lel
Original post by TSR Mustafa
Lol 1/3 of the world doesnt like merica according to you lel

It's very much the truth, I'd say it's probably more than that.
Original post by Joel 96
And my point still stands. You take the risk not being a citizen in another country.
An immigration system where people come in from various countries and all have an equal chance of getting in, reliant on their qualifications, is an immigration system that benefits all. Currently, there is a real problem with the Islamic ideology that exists in these countries - that is undeniable.

No it doesn't :smile:

More people are killed every year by toddlers with guns than by Islamic terrorists. How was she meant to know that an executive order would affect her in such a way? And you'll probably try and rebut this by saying 'surely she knew Trump wanted to ban Muslims', but I don't think anyone predicted that this would apply to people who already have valid visas.
Not only that border guards are manipulation green card holders to sign away their green cards...

Don't sign anything without a lawyer!
Original post by Ladbants
It's impossible to just ban the bad guys because you never know who's going to be the next terrorism. It had to be a blanket ban

That's the stupidest thing I have heard. You do realise that the countries banned have never had a terrorist? You do realise that 15 of the 911 hijackers were from saudi arabia, Egypt, UAE, ect. But they arent banned because Trump has businesses with those countries. Do you realise that the San Bernardino Shooting was conducted by a citizen and a pakistani, yet pakistan is not in the ban. Its people like you who are so arrogant and let themselves paint everyone from a single religion with a single brush. Thats Bigotry.

Ofcourse you are going to find people practicing Islam in a violent way, but you will also find people practising other religions violently. No religion promotes violence. If someone is a violent person their Islam/Christianity/Budhism will be violent. The problem is that we are talking about a religion that is followed by 1.5 billion people so ofcourse you are going to find negative examples of it.
Original post by Mathemagicien
Appalling. How can you possibly defend taking in refugees when innocent people are being killed.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-europe-attacks-germany-migrant-idUSKCN1040SF

Its all the same silly appeal to individual cases and ignoring the bigger picture.

Allowing people who already live there to stay is not taking in refugees.
Original post by biglad2k16

^^^^
Papers, please.
Good. Can't take any chances.
Original post by jambojim97
No, but do you not think the US should at least appreciate the human rights of non-citizen residents who have a life in The States?

Why?

Any state's first and foremost duty is to protect it citizens.

Its a human right for a non-US citizen to have unrestricted access to the US,really?
Original post by joe cooley
Why?

Its a human right for a non-US citizen to have unrestricted access to the US,really?

I never said she had a 'human right for... unrestricted access to the US', I just highlighted the inhumanity in barring somebody with property and a life in the US.
Reply 52
Original post by joe cooley
Why?

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free.”
Original post by jambojim97

More people are killed every year by toddlers with guns than by Islamic terrorists. How was she meant to know that an executive order would affect her in such a way? And you'll probably try and rebut this by saying 'surely she knew Trump wanted to ban Muslims', but I don't think anyone predicted that this would apply to people who already have valid visas.

What, are you anti-guns now? Just another stereotypical leftist who fails intelligence tests. "Guns must be bad because people get killed by them".
What a ridiculous comparison. They are two completely different topics.

And I don't care if she knew or not. You take risks when going to foreign countries without citizenship. Countries are now starting to get around to improving their immigration statistics, and that's an overwhelmingly good thing. The muslims who already have citizenship can stay; the ones who don't ~ bye bye!
President Obama did EXACTLY the same thing when he was President. Where was the outrage then?
Original post by Joel 96
What, are you anti-guns now? Just another stereotypical leftist...

I am indeed! And I'm not ashamed to admit it!

Original post by Joel 96

...who fails intelligence tests. "Guns must be bad because people get killed by them".

Bit ad hominem...

Original post by Joel 96

What a ridiculous comparison. They are two completely different topics.

Hardly. I think it's a perfectly apt comparison when there's a moral panic about Muslims when monumentally more people every year get shot on US soil by US citizens.

Original post by Joel 96

And I don't care if she knew or not. You take risks when going to foreign countries without citizenship. Countries are now starting to get around to improving their immigration statistics, and that's an overwhelmingly good thing. The muslims who already have citizenship can stay; the ones who don't...

Ahh you don't care. So are you just a stereotypical right-winger who has no heart? How do you know she was a Muslim? There is more than one religion in Iran, you know. Look at the picture on the article. I see no hijab! She's hardly going to be a Jihadist now, is she? Frankly, whether or not you care is irrelevant. We are a global community and frankly we have a shared responsibility for eachother's wellbeing. You're never going to agree with me on that given your statist worldview, so not a lot of point. But ultimately, that does not mitigate the fact that she is a human being, with rights, who was treated inhumanely by a draconian regime.

Original post by Joel 96

bye bye!

Seeeee yaaaaa! xxx
Original post by markova21
President Obama did EXACTLY the same thing when he was President. Where was the outrage then?

I asked exactly the same question regarding the ban on Israeli passport holders travelling to numerous Muslim countries.

Apparently, the left believe Muslims should be held to a lower moral standard than non-Muslims.

One must assume this lower standard applies to people merely accused of being Muslim, hence Obama's free pass......

Either that or the current angst amongst the left is politically motivated ********.
Reply 57
Original post by markova21

Nope.
http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/01/30/sorry-mr-president-the-obama-administration-did-nothing-similar-to-your-immigration-ban/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Obama banned refugees for six months.

Quick Reply