The Student Room Group

Foundation after A-levels to get in better University?

Basically my predictions aren't high enough(ABC) for most of the top unis that I wanted to get in and I'm thinking if I don't get an offer from at least Queen Mary. Is it worth wasting a whole year to do foundation at a top uni e.g kings or UCL? And is progression guaranteed if you meet their requirements?
Original post by Bilaal98
Basically my predictions aren't high enough(ABC) for most of the top unis that I wanted to get in and I'm thinking if I don't get an offer from at least Queen Mary. Is it worth wasting a whole year to do foundation at a top uni e.g kings or UCL? And is progression guaranteed if you meet their requirements?

Neither KCL nor UCL do foundation years.

You could perhaps do a foundation year at another university and then apply to KCL, UCL or another 'top' university, but there's no guarantee they'd accept (or even consider) you, especially if you've done A levels so recently. If this is something you want to do, you should email admission tutors at the universities you want to go to and ask (1). whether they'd consider an application from someone who has done a foundation year at another university and (2). do they require a gap between A levels and the completion of a foundation year?

Personally, I think a foundation year is a waste of money and time. If you are desperate to go to a top university, resit your A levels,.
Reply 2
Original post by Snufkin
Neither KCL nor UCL do foundation years.

You could perhaps do a foundation year at another university and then apply to KCL, UCL or another 'top' university, but there's no guarantee they'd accept (or even consider) you, especially if you've done A levels so recently. If this is something you want to do, you should email admission tutors at the universities you want to go to and ask (1). whether they'd consider an application from someone who has done a foundation year at another university and (2). do they require a gap between A levels and the completion of a foundation year?

Personally, I think a foundation year is a waste of money and time. If you are desperate to go to a top university, resit your A levels,.

Are you sure about the fact that They don't offer foundation? KCL does have one according to their website and they claim guaranteed entry into undergrad if you meet their grade requirements however the extent to which this is true, I can't tell. (http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/international-foundation-programme-maths-and-economics.aspx)

Thanks for the advice, I will get in touch with the admission tutors and I'm hoping for an offer from QMUL atm (I'd be more than happy to study there)
Are you sure about the fact that They don't offer foundation? KCL does have one according to their website and they claim guaranteed entry into undergrad if you meet their grade requirements however the extent to which this is true, I can't tell. (http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/international-foundation-programme-maths-and-economics.aspx)

Thanks for the advice, I will get in touch with the admission tutors and I'm hoping for an offer from QMUL atm (I'd be more than happy to study there)

That's an international foundation programme - they are not the same as a foundation year. As far as I know, these programmes do not admit UK students, and you can't use a student loan to pay for them.
Reply 4
Original post by Snufkin
That's an international foundation programme - they are not the same as a foundation year. As far as I know, these programmes do not admit UK students, and you can't use a student loan to pay for them.

Yeah I forgot to mention I'm actually an international student but did A levels in a British school. I believe I am eligible for the international foundation programmes but I still need to check with KCL for the guaranteed progression and other universities as to whether they'll consider my application if I have both A2 and UPC(from UCL) or IFP(KCL, QMUL).
Yeah I forgot to mention I'm actually an international student but did A levels in a British school. I believe I am eligible for the international foundation programmes but I still need to check with KCL for the guaranteed progression and other universities as to whether they'll consider my application if I have both A2 and UPC(from UCL) or IFP(KCL, QMUL).

Oh, I see. How will you pay for it? I really don't think it is worth the money.
Reply 6
Original post by Snufkin
Oh, I see. How will you pay for it? I really don't think it is worth the money.

Well the field in which I want to break into (banking and private equity) seems to (unfairly) favor graduates from prestigious unis(some firms don't even list their jobs and recruit straight from LSE UCL Cambridge etc) and requires extensive networking and work placement which all seem to be only available at top universities. I don't mind an extra year in university to make up for that. As for the finance part I have that covered :smile:
Take a gap year to redo your A Levels and get A's and A*'s and do a bunch of investment banking work experience. Alternatively join an apprenticeship programme at a bank instead of going to university and work your way up.

Putting it bluntly banks are looking for the brightest students at the best unis so unless you are of that calibre you won't break into such a career. Also foundation years aren't looked upon favorably.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by averageintrovert
Take a gap year to redo your A Levels and get A's and A*'s and do a bunch of investment banking work experience. Alternatively join an apprenticeship programme at a bank instead of going to university and work your way up.

Putting it bluntly banks are looking for the brightest students at the best unis so unless you are of that calibre you won't break into such a career. Also foundation years aren't looked upon favorably.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You think my job applications would be discarded because of foundation years? Tbh I think my predictions are lower than what I can achieve, one of my friends had a really high A in Eco and they predicted him D (he can get a D without showing up to the exam) it's more about the school fearing for its reputation and favoritism from the teachers. Either way, what if I do well and still go through the IFP just to get admitted to those unis?
You think my job applications would be discarded because of foundation years? Tbh I think my predictions are lower than what I can achieve, one of my friends had a really high A in Eco and they predicted him D (he can get a D without showing up to the exam) it's more about the school fearing for its reputation and favoritism from the teachers. Either way, what if I do well and still go through the IFP just to get admitted to those unis?

Possibly not discarded but not looked upon as favorably. Have you heard of Adjustment? If you meet or exceed your firm choice offer you can apply to better unis once you have your results. Research this if you haven't already. If you do do the IFP just make sure you do as many work placements and insight days as possible to show that you are genuinely interested and able.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by averageintrovert
Possibly not discarded but not looked upon as favorably. Have you heard of Adjustment? If you meet or exceed your firm choice offer you can apply to better unis once you have your results. Research this if you haven't already. If you do do the IFP just make sure you do as many work placements and insight days as possible to show that you are genuinely interested and able.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well the counselor in school today was claiming that I could still get an offer from QM or Royal Holloway with ABC predictions because our school apparently has good track record and its predictions are taken seriously. I honestly just hope I get an offer from QM as the course I applied for has a year placement in industry (amazing for me). IFP is really of a last resort because it will still cost me £12k-£17k but thanks for the advice, will make sure to look for as many internships as possible while in uni.
Will also make sure to look into adjustment, thanks.
(edited 7 years ago)
Well the counselor in school today was claiming that I could still get an offer from QM or Royal Holloway with ABC predictions because our school apparently has good track record and its predictions are taken seriously. I honestly just hope I get an offer from QM as the course I applied for has a year placement in industry (amazing for me). IFP is really of a last resort because it will still cost me £12k-£17k but thanks for the advice, will make sure to look for as many internships as possible while in uni.
Will also make sure to look into adjustment, thanks.

Good Luck with the offers! Glad to be of some help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending