The Student Room Group

What the HELL is "Cultural Appropriation"?

Okay things are really going too far now.

I said on Tumblr that I love France and French culture and I used a few French words in it, and someone sent me a nasty anon message saying that I was a racist cis pig because I take part in "cultural appropriation".

How can appreciating other cultures be "racist" and how can it even be a problem? I don't understand for the life of me how this could possibly offend anybody.

What the HECK is this all about?

Is it a new special snowflake Social Justice Warrior thing?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Tree Dude
Getting rid of weak minded people like yourself.

Take a long walk off a short pier, Ttingtox.
Reply 2
Original post by AshEntropy
Take a long walk off a short pier, Ttingtox.

Too bad my nearest coast is 30 miles away!
Reply 3

Reply 4

No chocolate rivers either.
Reply 5
No chocolate rivers either.

If I had to guess I'd say it's when you appropriate someone's culture.
Reply 7

No deep holes either.
"Cultural appropriation" is a load of BS. It's nothing but the liberal left thinking they have the authority to dictate to everyone else what they can and cannot do.
Your problem here is that you use Tumblr
This is SJW ********. Frankly it's this retarded, self-victimising rhetoric that warrants people calling us "libtards". If you hold this view, ask yourself if this is really an issue of importance. Do you really care that X Kardashian wore a bindi and they got praise for it? Is that what you're fired up about? Because that's some really insignificant ****, and if you were really for progress you would identify and talk issues of actual importance. And, before someone resorts to racial presumptions, I'm black.
Reply 11
Original post by SmashConcept
If I had to guess I'd say it's when you appropriate someone's culture.

Yes but.. what's wrong with appreciating other cultures? Are these people insane?

Original post by Len Goodman
"Cultural appropriation" is a load of BS. It's nothing but the liberal left thinking they have the authority to dictate to everyone else what they can and cannot do.

I hate hate hate hate the people of Tumblr sometimes I wanna smack their head against a rock

Reply 13
Original post by SinsNotTragedies
Your problem here is that you use Tumblr

I only use Tumblr because it has a lot of cool GIFs on it :frown:

Original post by Akamega
This is SJW ********. Frankly it's this retarded, self-victimising rhetoric that warrants people calling us "libtards". If you hold this view, ask yourself if this is really an issue of importance. Do you really care that X Kardashian wore a bindi and they got praise for it? Is that what you're fired up about? Because that's some really insignificant ****, and if you were really for progress you would identify and talk issues of actual importance. And, before someone resorts to racial presumptions, I'm black.

I simply don't understand how appreciating other cultures is now a bad thing to do.. like, what the hell? That's like.. saying school dinners shouldn't have the "Food around the world" days because it's racist?!?!
Reply 14

Mhm?
Yes but.. what's wrong with appreciating other cultures? Are these people insane?

Yes, the liberal left are complete lunatics. They call us racist when we criticise other cultures, and they call us racist when we appreciate other cultures.

What one is it, leftie liberals? Make your minds up.

Brings back memories :mmm:
Yes, the liberal left are complete lunatics. They call us racist when we criticise other cultures, and they call us racist when we appreciate other cultures.

What one is it, leftie liberals? Make your minds up.

Seriously, is this the same person behind the ChaosKass account?
Reply 18
They call us racist when we criticise other cultures, and they call us racist when we appreciate other cultures.

Exactly, it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever...

If you don't embrace other cultures: "Racist, xenophobic cis white pig!!!!!"
If you do embrace other cultures: "Racist, cultural appropriating cis white pig!!!!"

Have you got the 'tism?

Quick Reply

Latest