The Student Room Group

What the HELL is "Cultural Appropriation"?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AshEntropy
The Tumblrinas strike again, eh? :angry:

Absolutely. How dare all those non-white people appropriate white culture! Don't they know it's wrong and makes a mockery of those hard working Russian who slaved for years to produce fine vodka? Oh wait...

and thank you :tongue:
Reply 41
Original post by Sabertooth
Absolutely. How dare all those non-white people appropriate white culture? Don't they know it's wrong and makes a mockery of those hard working Russian who slaved for years to produce fine vodka? Oh wait...

Hahahah one day I'm gonna lose my patience with them on Tumblr and purposely try to trigger them!
cultural appropriation and cultural appreciation are two different things. cultural appropriation is honestly a real problem but many people on tumblr take it too far because they have no idea what they are talking about.
Reply 43
Original post by zaraimani
cultural appropriation is honestly a real problem

It really isn't..
Reply 44
To all the Tumblrinas - :stink:

I second this :smile::smile::smile:
Reply 45
Original post by IDF
I second this :smile::smile::smile:

Thank you c:
this is why I hate tumblr, you get bashed for like the smallest thing
Reply 47
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
this is why I hate tumblr, you get bashed for like the smallest thing

Yeah Tumblr sucks when it has people like that
tumblr sucks, I saw someone get accused of 'cultural appropriation' because they wanted to learn spanish.....

trying to learn and experience new things because that's how the world learns to co operate can only be a good thing considering we're in a multicultural world and have to depend on other countries.

i'm not sure if tumblr folk want us to live in tiny isolationist places and not try to understand the world we live in then i want no part of it.

Still.. it seems there are far more problems on a planet that something that petty.

For you, yes. Because you and the tumblerinas who chased you down lack any insight into the historicity of the term.

Not so for the countless indigenous populations whose livelihoods were stolen because someone came in, took their idea, and claimed intellectual property rights on it. In Australia, aboriginals weren't even allowed to take the case to court because they had no legal identity in their justice system. I doubt anyone here can fathom what it's like to face that level of systematic racism.

The real history of cultural appropriation is deep and it has raised significant problems for justice systems, copyright laws, socio-economic parity, and indigenous rights for many countries around the world.... To the extent that a country's progress is measured by it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 50
Original post by Lauren1498x
tumblr sucks, I saw someone get accused of 'cultural appropriation' because they wanted to learn spanish.....

LOL wth
Looks like you're culturally appropriating Pokemon OP.
Reply 52
Original post by Jasminder1994
Looks like you're culturally appropriating Pokemon OP.

Are you kidding? :angry:
"Cultural appropriation is the adoption or theft of icons, rituals, aesthetic standards, and behaviour from one culture or subculture by another. It generally is applied when the subject culture is a minority culture or somehow subordinate in social, political, economic, or military status to the appropriating culture."

Sounds to me like Tumblr just likes using complicated words to sound more intelligent when they're annoyed with someone even if it's unnecessary or wrong.
Reply 54
Original post by sianwilks
"Cultural appropriation is the adoption or theft of icons, rituals, aesthetic standards, and behaviour from one culture or subculture by another. It generally is applied when the subject culture is a minority culture or somehow subordinate in social, political, economic, or military status to the appropriating culture."

Sounds to me like Tumblr just likes using complicated words to sound more intelligent when they're annoyed with someone even if it's unnecessary or wrong.

Tumblr just being Tumblr!

In all honesty it did start with the best of intentions, mostly concerning native american indians (and yes they do like the term indian to be used). It's mostly about not picking up things with rather important religious contexts simply because you think they're cool.

Native american headdress and religious symbols are the first that spring to mind. Also the tribal tattoo fad was extremely difficult for some pacific cultures as tattoos with deeply religious symbols and signs of adulthood were suddenly on the sleeve of every drunken jock or chav.

In this context the nazi's using the swastika is cultural appropriation, which caused obvious issues. Another example would be how religious Hijabs spread outside of the arabian peninsula, first to other areas populated by arabs, but then also non arab islamic countries like egypt, libya, turkey, syria and iran (the burqa however is pre-islamic) in the last 60 years or so, whereas previously in non rural area's of those countries it was often seen as a sign of fundamentalism, barbarism and bad education. Such examples have shown to be very oppressive and offensive with wide spreading consequences.

Then you have where SJW's have gone too far regarding some other things like dreadlocks, pseudo-religious tattoos, clothing, music, speech mannerisms etc. In these cases no-one cares and if someone complains they're a jackass sjw.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hey I remember ChaosKass! What happened to her?

Unfortunately dear Kass was banned last year as part of a purge by the moderators against anyone who didn't conform to their politically correct views.
I'm very left wing, but the notion of cultural appropriation really hacks me off.
Apparently it was racist of me to have dreadlocks as a white :facepalm2:
Original post by Craghyrax
I'm very left wing, but the notion of cultural appropriation really hacks me off.
Apparently it was racist of me to have dreadlocks as a white :facepalm2:

what race were you offending exactly?
Original post by hezzlington
what race were you offending exactly?
I was 'appropriating' black culture, I guess.

Quick Reply

Latest