The Student Room Group

Does anyone do AQA AS Psychology?

If you do can you let me know what topic you are up to and in which paper as I feel I am a bit behind.
Thanks in advance! 😊

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Elena 365
If you do can you let me know what topic you are up to and in which paper as I feel I am a bit behind.
Thanks in advance! 😊

Hii I do AQA, well we have finished Social influence , memory , attachment and research methods. We will have a unit one mock this Friday which I'm not the prepared but oh well😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by kaffeka
Hii I do AQA, well we have finished Social influence , memory , attachment and research methods. We will have a unit one mock this Friday which I'm not the prepared but oh well😁

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for letting me know! 😃 The weird thing is my teacher taught us all of unit 2 first which includes research methods, psychopathology, biopsychology etc. And we only just finished social influence on unit 1. Plus I have the mock exam next week for unit 2 and I'm not ready either 😩😂
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
That is definately weird. GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR TEST. Aim for an A :smile:
Reply 4
Thanks for letting me know! 😃 The weird thing is my teacher taught us all of unit 2 first which includes research methods, psychopathology, biopsychology etc. And we only just finished social influence on unit 1. Plus I have the mock exam next week for unit 2 and I'm not ready either 😩😂

As an A2 Psychology student, I think your teacher has taught it the right way.
It may be in the second paper but trust me, its better to learn the hear stuff first because you have time to touch up on it.

Enjoy AS psychology as A2 is so much more content good luck!
For our year the grade boundaries were much lower (as we were the first ones to do it) 75%?
Reply 5
Original post by Ph8
As an A2 Psychology student, I think your teacher has taught it the right way.
It may be in the second paper but trust me, its better to learn the hear stuff first because you have time to touch up on it.

Enjoy AS psychology as A2 is so much more content good luck!
For our year the grade boundaries were much lower (as we were the first ones to do it) 75%?

Thanks! 😊 Also I wanted to ask just out of curiosity, what did you get at AS?
Plus, do you have any revision tips and what textbooks did you use?
I'm an A2 psychology student doing the same course as you, and I've chosen to study it at university.

By this point in my AS year, I'd done Approaches in Psychology, Psychopathology, half of research methods, Memory and would be on Attachment around now. The second half of research methods came after, I think, then we finished with social influence.

If you want to know about A2 or anything else to do with the course, just ask :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by TheMightyAugur
I'm an A2 psychology student doing the same course as you, and I've chosen to study it at university.

By this point in my AS year, I'd done Approaches in Psychology, Psychopathology, half of research methods, Memory and would be on Attachment around now. The second half of research methods came after, I think, then we finished with social influence.

If you want to know about A2 or anything else to do with the course, just ask :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hii,
I'm hoping to do psychology in A2. What is the course like and is there a lot of memorising?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! 😊 Also I wanted to ask just out of curiosity, what did you get at AS? Plus, do you have any revision tips and what textbooks did you use?
Done research methods, approaches, biopsychology, just finished social influence and almost finished memory. The other AS psychology class in my school has already done two lessons on psychopathology. My class have yet to do attachment and psychopathology
Original post by kaffeka
Hii,
I'm hoping to do psychology in A2. What is the course like and is there a lot of memorising?

The structure is broadly the same as AS except there are 3 papers of two hours each. Paper 1 is Psychopathology, Attachment, Social Influence and Memory. Paper 2 is Approaches, Biopsychology (there's a lot more of this at A2 compared to AS) and Research Methods which is worth twice as many marks as any of the other units.

Paper 3 is where most of the new stuff comes in. It includes "Issues & Debates in Psychology" which, I'm not going to lie, is insanely boring and tedious.

The other three units your college will choose which ones you get taught. There's 3 groups of 3 units and you'll get taught one unit from each group. I do Relationships, Schizophrenia and Forensic Psychology (which I'm doing now and is super interesting if you're into criminology and serial killers and all that). The others are gender, cognition and development, stress, eating behaviour, aggression

Like AS, there's loads of content to learn but so far I've noticed there's been fewer studies/numbers I have to memorise. But yeah, it's very content heavy and you'll have to put in loads of revision because there's just so much stuff in the course you need to know. If you find it interesting though you won't find it too strenuous.

If you're sitting the AS exam then you'll be doing 12 mark essays in class won't you? The only real difference for the exams for A2, apart from them being longer, is that it goes up to 16 mark essays instead. And the essays are weighted towards evaluation so you really need to get good at it- it's split 6 marks AO1 and 10 AO3 rather than 6 and 6 like at AS

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
The structure is broadly the same as AS except there are 3 papers of two hours each. Paper 1 is Psychopathology, Attachment, Social Influence and Memory. Paper 2 is Approaches, Biopsychology (there's a lot more of this at A2 compared to AS) and Research Methods which is worth twice as many marks as any of the other units.

Paper 3 is where most of the new stuff comes in. It includes "Issues & Debates in Psychology" which, I'm not going to lie, is insanely boring and tedious.

The other three units your college will choose which ones you get taught. There's 3 groups of 3 units and you'll get taught one unit from each group. I do Relationships, Schizophrenia and Forensic Psychology (which I'm doing now and is super interesting if you're into criminology and serial killers and all that). The others are gender, cognition and development, stress, eating behaviour, aggression

Like AS, there's loads of content to learn but so far I've noticed there's been fewer studies/numbers I have to memorise. But yeah, it's very content heavy and you'll have to put in loads of revision because there's just so much stuff in the course you need to know. If you find it interesting though you won't find it too strenuous.

If you're sitting the AS exam then you'll be doing 12 mark essays in class won't you? The only real difference for the exams for A2, apart from them being longer, is that it goes up to 16 mark essays instead. And the essays are weighted towards evaluation so you really need to get good at it- it's split 6 marks AO1 and 10 AO3 rather than 6 and 6 like at AS

Posted from TSR Mobile

Great advice! 😊 Also I wanted to ask just out of curiosity, what did you get at AS? Plus, do you have any revision tips and what textbooks did you use?
Thanks! 😊 Also I wanted to ask just out of curiosity, what did you get at AS? Plus, do you have any revision tips and what textbooks did you use?

I got an A at AS. 63/72 on Paper 1 and 60 on Paper 2,

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1485882157.687480.jpg
Attachment not found

These are the textbooks I use.

Revision tips? Write every single possible 12/16 mark essay and make flashcards for the units you're weakest on

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah we do 12 marks at AS. Thank you for taking the time to explain to me. I find psychology interesting so I should be alright hopefully. Good luck in your A level exams😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kaffeka
Yeah we do 12 marks at AS. Thank you for taking the time to explain to me. I find psychology interesting so I should be alright hopefully. Good luck in your A level exams😁

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! Good luck to you in your AS exams 😃

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks in advance! 😊

We've done Approaches, Memory, Social Influence, bits of Research Methods and we're now starting Attachment. My teacher is trying to break up Research Methods throughout the year because it's quite boring ngl.

I'm using the book with a cat on it for A01 and for A03 I'm using the book with the girl with green hair lol. The latter is nicer to read, especially for evaluation. I'm looking for tips on how to revise because at the moment I just use flashcards. Also, my teacher gives us tests very regularly and her grade boundaries are sky high so the highest I've ever got is a B.

Are you guys memorising evaluation points? Our teacher said we can memorise or use techniques like GRENADES...
Reply 16
I got an A at AS. 63/72 on Paper 1 and 60 on Paper 2,

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1485882157.687480.jpg
Attachment not found

These are the textbooks I use.

Revision tips? Write every single possible 12/16 mark essay and make flashcards for the units you're weakest on

Posted from TSR Mobile

Welldone!😄 I will definatly do more exam practice 😊
What time of the year did you finish all your notes?
Original post by romansholiday
We've done Approaches, Memory, Social Influence, bits of Research Methods and we're now starting Attachment. My teacher is trying to break up Research Methods throughout the year because it's quite boring ngl.

I'm using the book with a cat on it for A01 and for A03 I'm using the book with the girl with green hair lol. The latter is nicer to read, especially for evaluation. I'm looking for tips on how to revise because at the moment I just use flashcards. Also, my teacher gives us tests very regularly and her grade boundaries are sky high so the highest I've ever got is a B.

Are you guys memorising evaluation points? Our teacher said we can memorise or use techniques like GRENADES...

Yeah I memorise evaluation points. Our teacher has given us a system of PEE which is point, evidence, explain and its so good. For 12 markers I constantly get 10 or 11/12 because her method is really good. If you want to see a sample I can send one

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kaffeka
Yeah I memorise evaluation points. Our teacher has given us a system of PEE which is point, evidence, explain and its so good. For 12 markers I constantly get 10 or 11/12 because her method is really good. If you want to see a sample I can send one

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh yes please, I'd love to see a sample :smile:

Yeah, my teacher has taught us PEE aswell, but now she has introduced PEEHL = Point, Evidence, Explain, However, Link. I just use PEE though, and if I can memorise evaluation points I can still get full marks without the However and Link.
Reply 19
Original post by kaffeka

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh please send a sample it would really help me out 😃

Quick Reply

Latest