The Student Room Group

Who should I use as references?

So I need to provide 2 references for a job but one of my past jobs was cash in hand and my old boss left. The other one I don't know the contact details. I'm not really sure what to do because it will look bad putting the jobs without relating references but then I want to include them to show past experience.
Original post by ILikePasta
So I need to provide 2 references for a job but one of my past jobs was cash in hand and my old boss left. The other one I don't know the contact details. I'm not really sure what to do because it will look bad putting the jobs without relating references but then I want to include them to show past experience.

Cash in hand when the individual who employed you has left is pretty tricky. The other one, find some contact details.

Second - don't give references until you are asked - so you can still use past experience in your application (you usually need to in order to be competitive) and only give references when asked, usually once you are being made an offer.

Otherwise, think about whether you have an option like a sports coach, any other interest/club/activity leader, faith leader, lecturer/tutor etc you could use.
Original post by threeportdrift
Cash in hand when the individual who employed you has left is pretty tricky. The other one, find some contact details.

Second - don't give references until you are asked - so you can still use past experience in your application (you usually need to in order to be competitive) and only give references when asked, usually once you are being made an offer.

Otherwise, think about whether you have an option like a sports coach, any other interest/club/activity leader, faith leader, lecturer/tutor etc you could use.

I would second this, if they haven't asked you to provide contact details, I wouldn't worry too much just yet, You could definitely use someone from your university or sixth form though, depending on your age!
Reply 3
Go to a teacher that you get on with or got on with when you were at school/college/sixth form.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending