The Student Room Group

Should I move on or give it another chance?

Hey everyone. I left my ex about a year ago, and still have feelings for him. We were together for a year and it was a pretty intense relationship, especially since I was living in a foreign country alone he was a really big part of my life.

I'm incapable though of moving on completely, for some reason. I'm trying my best. I'm meeting new people etc. But a part of me doesn't really WANT to move on. I mean we had amazing chemistry, and not to sound cheesy but some of my best moments were with him.

I know he's bad for me. I know for a fact that if we were together, we wouldn't work out. But why is it that it feels so wrong, and so hard, to allow myself to move on? I'm holding on to ridiculous little pieces of him - like photos, chat history, etc. I don't know if moving on is even the right thing to do anymore.

What should I do? I met him recently and was reminded that we clash too much (rather his personality is just too overbearing, for anyone). Despite that though I JUST CAN'T SEEM TO WANT TO LET GO.

I'm sorry I'm all over the place. I suppose what I really want to know is, is it possible to love anyone else that much, after someone you've shared so, so many good memories with, and feel such strong feelings for? I think a big part of me is so reluctant because I remember all the good times, and I'm worried I won't ever go back to that happy place again.

Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.
Reply 1
Anyone?
Listen to your heart. Your mind may say no, but the heart is where it matters. Try it again with him and see if you both can fix what went wrong before. As you've said, you had some of your best moments with him, why deprive yourself of that?
Reply 3
Original post by Google22
Listen to your heart. Your mind may say no, but the heart is where it matters. Try it again with him and see if you both can fix what went wrong before. As you've said, you had some of your best moments with him, why deprive yourself of that?

I did try recently, and the exact same issue happened again! I don't think it's possible we'll ever work out. His personality seems kinda hardwired, but the problem is I wish I still didn't love him.

God, this is so frustrating. Looks like a lose-lose situation to me.
Hes an ex for a reason. It wouldnt last as he wont change. Overbearing made you unhappy. Look for someone in future who has good qualities, but isnt overbearing. Simplez.

Alternatively go back and remind yourself why you umped him. In six months time you cna see whether it was worth the reminder.
Original post by Anonymous
I did try recently, and the exact same issue happened again! I don't think it's possible we'll ever work out. His personality seems kinda hardwired, but the problem is I wish I still didn't love him.

Well that's a shame :frown:

Maybe you just need to have a long deep heart to heart with him, and decide whether he wants you as much as you want him, whether he is the guy that will love you more than anyone else, or just end things for good.

If you've already had this chat and have decided that it should be the latter, maybe it's time to move on.

Sucks tho, conflicting feelings are never healthy.
Reply 6
Original post by 999tigger
Hes an ex for a reason. It wouldnt last as he wont change. Overbearing made you unhappy. Look for someone in future who has good qualities, but isnt overbearing. Simplez.

Alternatively go back and remind yourself why you umped him. In six months time you cna see whether it was worth the reminder.

See it sounds simple when you say it like that. But the truth is he had good, rare qualities and made me feel things I'm scared I won't be able to feel with someone else... Know what I mean? I'm just terrified that if I let him go I won't ever get those same strong feelings with someone else in the future.

I know I sound melodramatic haha but it's a genuine concern of mine
Reply 7
Original post by Google22
Well that's a shame :frown:

Maybe you just need to have a long deep heart to heart with him, and decide whether he wants you as much as you want him, whether he is the guy that will love you more than anyone else, or just end things for good.

If you've already had this chat and have decided that it should be the latter, maybe it's time to move on.

Sucks tho, conflicting feelings are never healthy.

Is it okay if I PM you btw?
Reply 8

So when you were together things didnt work out, then you try again and it was the same thing, and he`s not showing you that things would be different if you try for a third time. You should move on, really, i understand you, i know is hard to move on when there are a lot of memories together, but you should start by deleting the pictures, the chats, everything, because if you keep holding on on that it would be harder and you won't be able to move on, it doesn't mean that if you delete everything you will forget him immediately but is an important step and a progress. Think about this, you deserve better, not just pieces of someone, you are your priority, you are valuable, that all i can say. I know is hard, but with time you will see that the wound will heal and you'll be able to give yourself the opportunity to meet new people, and surely, better people
Is it okay if I PM you btw?

Yeah go for it, I'm up all night

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just resort to Netflix and masturbation. Always works

Attachment not found
Original post by Stoke123
Just resort to Netflix and masturbation. Always works

Attachment not found

Done and done.
Original post by Mdaza
So when you were together things didnt work out, then you try again and it was the same thing, and he`s not showing you that things would be different if you try for a third time. You should move on, really, i understand you, i know is hard to move on when there are a lot of memories together, but you should start by deleting the pictures, the chats, everything, because if you keep holding on on that it would be harder and you won't be able to move on, it doesn't mean that if you delete everything you will forget him immediately but is an important step and a progress. Think about this, you deserve better, not just pieces of someone, you are your priority, you are valuable, that all i can say. I know is hard, but with time you will see that the wound will heal and you'll be able to give yourself the opportunity to meet new people, and surely, better people

Thanks for your reply, yeah I see what you mean, I think I will definitely meet people in the future that definitely won't hurt me the way he did. It's hard though, because I was crazy for this guy, it's hard me imagining myself with anyone else, or feeling the same thing all over again. Unlikely.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending