The Student Room Group

Righteous Anger Sweeps UK against Trump's FAscist Muslim Ban

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Strange, I don't seem remember any of these lefty luvvies protesting against the Obama administration when they were causing the death and maiming of tens of thousands of innocent Muslims, including children with (arguably illegal) drone strikes across the Middle East, or when they were destabilising multiple Muslim nations by funding and arming dangerous rebel groups, many of whom are now firmly part of the Jihadist movement and wrecking havoc across the Middle East and North Africa. Very strange indeed, but surely they must have protested, they clearly care so very deeply about the wellbeing of Muslims, right?
Original post by Bornblue
Why are you such a troll?

Why are all right-wingers automatically classed as trolls? The majority of the Western world is right-wing, are they all trolls too?
Reply 42
Except it's not sweeping the UK.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just an FYI, Britain; you have no empire anymore.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 44
Original post by Wōden
Strange, I don't seem remember any of these lefty luvvies protesting against the Obama administration when they were causing the death and maiming of tens of thousands of innocent Muslims, including children with (arguably illegal) drone strikes across the Middle East, or when they were destabilising multiple Muslim nations by funding and arming dangerous rebel groups, many of whom are now firmly part of the Jihadist movement and wrecking havoc across the Middle East and North Africa. Very strange indeed, but surely they must have protested, they clearly care so very deeply about the wellbeing of Muslims, right?

Didn't you get the memo?
Despicable acts carried out by liberal administrations are OK and don't need to be condemned.

I deeply dislike Trump and his brand of politics but one thing i can't stand for is this hypocrisy that if a "liberal" administration does something horrendous then somehow it's less serious and they can get away with it but if an administration that's on the other side of the political spectrum does the exact same thing then almost all of the condemnation is reserved for them.
Reply 45
Original post by Tunak
Didn't you get the memo?
Despicable acts carried out by liberal administrations are OK and don't need to be condemned.

I deeply dislike Trump and his brand of politics but one thing i can't stand for is this hypocrisy that if a "liberal" administration does something horrendous then somehow it's less serious and they can get away with it but if an administration that's on the other side of the political spectrum does the exact same thing then almost all of the condemnation is reserved for them.

It's not even like Trump is anywhere near Obama's level, but already he's Hitler. Obama was alternately mediocre or terrible, but he's the second coming.

You literally cannot even talk to people who hold the two people on those levels. They're insane.
Original post by Mathemagicien
Hitler was elected democratically. We have to accept that democracy is flawed, and it is up to us the people to destroy fascism whenever it rears its ugly head, elected or not.
Democracy is not flawed, and Hitler never won a majority in the Reichstag in a democratic election

In the last democratic elections in November 1932, the Nazis received 33% of the vote and only 196 seats (out of 584)

As a comparison, Social Democrats won 121, and Communists 100 (but of course they were unable to cooperate)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_federal_election,_November_1932

democracy is our most precious treasure
Original post by Ladbants
I don't see why British people would be protesting about a policy taken by the United States which does not affect British citizens. The United States is responsible for their own policies on refugees and immigration. Their borders, their decision. Let's focus on our own issues and respect the decisions taken by our allies.

This is the United States of America, not Luxembourg. Whatever happens in that country cannot be ignored but us. Yes non-American citizens parading around with signs saying "Not My President" is stupid. But there is a lot of unrest now and everyone should be aware of this.
Original post by Len Goodman
Why on Earth is Obama sticking his oar in? His time in the spotlight is over and he should give way to President Trump.

Exactly, on BBC Newsnight it was stated that the Obama administraton were the ones who came up with the countries on the list for the visa ban! Much hypocrisy.

Trumps style of leadership just mirrors his experience as a CEO and company owner. That does not sit well with Civil Servants and his opposition who want advance warning and full details.

In other words, they want him to load their metaphorical gun with which to shoot down his administration.

People are confusing democracy with government by referendum.

Civil Servants must be apolitical without bias or a country descends on the path to first riot and then civil war.

Anti Trump supporters are conveniently ignoring the facts that religious extremists have been unbelievably successful in driving a wedge into the heart of the infidels who are now on the verge of ripping themselves apart.

It's these Trump haters that are destroying democracy and playing directly into the hands of terrorists and haters of the west. IS don't care who they kill in the process and even now I can imagine the shouts of Allahu Akbar ringing out across the terrorist world.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Mathemagicien
Hitler was elected democratically. We have to accept that democracy is flawed, and it is up to us the people to destroy fascism whenever it rears its ugly head, elected or not.

What about Trump is Fascist?
Original post by uberteknik

Trumps style of leadership just mirrors his experience as a CEO and company owner. That does not sit well with Civil Servants and his opposition who want advance warning and full details.

In other words, they want him to load their metaphorical gun with which to shoot down his administration.

People are confusing democracy with government by referendum.

Civil Servants must be apolitical without bias or a country descends on the path to first riot and then civil war.

I am afraid you have a poor understanding of the American system of government.

About 5000 of the top appointees in the US civil service are political appointees. So far Trump has named fewer than 100 and only two or three are in post.

The President's staff in the White House is a small body of what would largely in the UK be known as Special Advisers. They have no administrative responsibility and little knowledge of the nuts and bolts of government.

The immigrant ban has turned into a fiasco, because Trump and his aides basically didn't understand how to make the federal government implement a policy. The border guard who when asked by some citizen of one of these countries to whom he should speak "replied Donald Trump" had essentially got it right. There was no-one below Trump who knew precisely what the Executive Order meant.

Even as of today these questions remain un-answered:-

Are UK dual nationals or UK nationals born in the 7 countries caught? Yesterday, the Embassy in London was saying they were caught. The FCO, getting information from someone in the White House, was saying "no"

If they are not caught; is that a privilege for UK nationals only (and possibly Australians and Canadians where a similar comment has been made) or all dual nationals. The British are spinning this as a special privilege.

Is there an exception to the ban not applying when a dual national is flying from one of the 7 countries? Early statements from the UK government suggested that this was the position, but later FCO comments that the ban didn't affect UK nationals at all would suggest to the contrary.

This isn't about a few hundred folk locked up in American airports. This potentially affects millions of people round the world. Trump is right that the ban should be introduced immediately, but the absence of what the military call "staff work" is very significant.

At the moment the US government has only a tiny capability for political action. To all intents the entire White House staff is handling the fall out from this decision. Whilst someone is handling calls from Boris Johnson, there are probably another 50+ plus allied governments trying to have similar conversations, whilst the CEOs of many of American companies are trying to put their positions forward and lawyers are looking for a line to take in the wave of litigation that is overwhelming the government.
Original post by joecphillips
Except it isn't a Muslim ban

It should read anger sweeps the uk after trump follows Obamas lead

I would actually suggest the title reads: "Sensationalist media whips UK public into hysteria as anger sweeps the UK after trump follows Obamas lead"

Not as catchy sure, but more detailed and accurate :smile:
Original post by nulli tertius
I am afraid you have a poor understanding of the American system of government.

I was indeed referring to the administrators who took it upon themselves to issue orders not to enforce Trumps executive orders. Sally Yates and others. The correct action would be simply to resign in protest n'est ce pas? But I guess they had nothing to lose because they were going to be replaced anyway.

In a similar vein it should be made abundantly clear that appointing political administrators is not ultra right-wing Fascism as some would like to portray Trump and his supporters.

I agree with the chaos caused though.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by kalclash
I would actually suggest the title reads: "Sensationalist media whips UK public into hysteria as anger sweeps the UK after trump follows Obamas lead"

Not as catchy sure, but more detailed and accurate :smile:
+rep coz I've run out of rep!
Original post by uberteknik
I was indeed referring to the administrators who took it upon themselves to issue orders not to enforce Trumps executive orders. Sally Yates and others. The correct action would be simply to resign in protest n'est ce pas? But I guess they had nothing to lose because they were going to be replaced anyway.

It was clearly a political gesture on her part. However there will be an element of concern for the people below her. They are all career government officials. Resignation is not easy for people with a mortgage to pay and no political friends to give them a new job.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending