The Student Room Group

NHS Scientist Training Programme 2016 applicants!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by iceberger
Hi
The 2017 intake is getting closer. For those that have applied more than once, can you use the answers you used for your previous application or does the application have to be completely fresh?

I don't think they care. You can't submit two applications in one year but I think you can use the same answers from the previous year.

Bear in mind their marking criteria may change though.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by cezabela
Hello,

Thank you for sharing this information. For me it was helpful, as it will be the first time I apply for the STP.
I am just very curious about the interview process. Someone said it is like speed dating, but nothing related to what kind of questions they ask: is it about you as a person, your experience or knowledge in the field... ?

The interview structure is like this:

4 interview of 10 minutes each with two assessors at each station. The (may change - look for info on the NSHCS website - four stations are general aptitude for science, science relating to your specialty, leadership and NHS values.
Hi, I'm looking to apply to the STP in the coming years either in reproductive science or genetic counselling. I was wondering if anyone on here had been successful in gaining a place on either of these fields and would mind sharing with me what kinda qualifications and experience they had on their application so I know what to aim for when I come round to applying??
Original post by Kat91625
Hi, I'm looking to apply to the STP in the coming years either in reproductive science or genetic counselling. I was wondering if anyone on here had been successful in gaining a place on either of these fields and would mind sharing with me what kinda qualifications and experience they had on their application so I know what to aim for when I come round to applying??

Hi you might be better off posting on the 2017 thread :smile:
Hi there,

For the Values and Behaviour section, is this to do with the standard NHS core values, or wit the person specification for the STP specifically?

Thank you!
Original post by chazza95
Hi there,

For the Values and Behaviour section, is this to do with the standard NHS core values, or wit the person specification for the STP specifically?

Thank you!

Hi
It's based on the core values but if you can incorporate elements from the specification it's a bonus. :smile:
Original post by iceberger
Hi
It's based on the core values but if you can incorporate elements from the specification it's a bonus. :smile:

thank you so much!
Hi, has anyone here completed the 1 year MSc in Medical Imaging at the University of Leeds, and then been a successful candidate for the STP?

I got accepted for the Medical Physics stream but was just short of the necessary 2:1 in my integrated Masters of Physics (4 years). Not sure if doing well in that MSc would improve my chances..but it is £6500 (cheaper than the Medical Physics Masters at Surrey Uni option) and I've completed two of the 15 credit modules (although they were only 10 credits each for us Physics students), and they were amazing. I don't know if I should persevere with another Masters to get onto the STP or not in 2018. Not sure what I'd then do if I wasn't actually successful next year.

Also the PTP is a 3 year Bachelors so this 1 year MSc seems a much better option.

Also if I did go with this MSc route and miraculously got accepted again next year, would any of the modules make me exempt from modules in the Clinical Sciences Masters?

This is for the Medical Physics stream btw :smile:
Hi, i have heard that in service applicants directly qualify for the interview as they do not need to take the online assessments...The online assessments is rubbish and doesn't make any sense to me for the science students. Even my finance sector friend who is very good at such tests did comment that this test doesn't make any sense to him..good luck
Original post by a6georgia1
Hi!

I am a final year Genetics student and I will be applying for the Reproductive Sciences strand. I have 6 weeks full time work in an IVF research lab and a few one-off day clinical placements, by I'm really worried my experience isn't enough to to get me in? I'm hoping my knowledge and enthusiasm can make up for that though? How much has other people done?
Will be applying for a MSc also as a back up!

Were you successful in this post?!
Hi! Thinking of applying to the STP this year, and am in a similar position to this. Can I ask how your application went last year? Any pointers for a tentative applicant?
Original post by kiwi27
Hi everyone!

I'm applying for the Reproductive science scheme as an in-service candidate (already working in an IVF clinic).

Am absolutely bricking it thinking about the aptitude tests! I find the numerical one really hard, I am rubbish at maths. The logic one isn't too bad but still harder than I thought it might be.

A couple of my friends have done/are doing the STP training and they said the interviews are quite interesting, that it's very much like speed dating!

I don't have any other plans apart from applying for this, if I don't get on then I'll just carry on in my current job. BUT I would be absolutely gutted!

Am trying to cram in as many extra bits as possible before application time, but can only do so much!

Any other in-service applicants out there, be great to hear how you're feeling about it!

Please tell me about the STP course I have done m.phill in microbiology from foreign university now moved in U.K. want to course what the procedure of the stp please tell me detail
hey, did you get onto the STP?

Quick Reply

Latest