The Student Room Group

Unilateral Hearing Loss

So I've been deaf in my right ear for as long as I can remember. I've had MRI's (which resulted in me being told that my inner ear is completely formed), various hearing tests and was even given a CROS hearing aid - which I find to be more of an annoyance than anything else :frown:

I've cancelled every appointment I'm given with the audiology department at my hospital as I've gotten to the stage where I'm sick and tired of constantly being tested as it's just a reminder of what a pain it is to not be able to hear - and for them to remind me (again!) that there is nothing really that they can do.

Just looking to see if there's anyone else who has or knows anyone else that is deaf or 'half-deaf', I suppose & what your experience is like!
Original post by lauren.mckissock
So I've been deaf in my right ear for as long as I can remember. I've had MRI's (which resulted in me being told that my inner ear is completely formed), various hearing tests and was even given a CROS hearing aid - which I find to be more of an annoyance than anything else :frown:

I've cancelled every appointment I'm given with the audiology department at my hospital as I've gotten to the stage where I'm sick and tired of constantly being tested as it's just a reminder of what a pain it is to not be able to hear - and for them to remind me (again!) that there is nothing really that they can do.

Just looking to see if there's anyone else who has or knows anyone else that is deaf or 'half-deaf', I suppose & what your experience is like!

Hey there,

I'm really sorry to hear about your struggles with the audiology dept. at your hospital, it sounds like a lot of hassle you're getting, I hope things go a bit better for you. :smile: Just to let you know I've moved this over to the Health section where you should get some more replies.

Take care! :smile:
I'm severely to profoundly deaf in my left ear and moderately deaf in my right. My hearing has been dropping since I was 3 and I hate the hearing tests too they're so long 😔
Original post by ChemGeek16
I'm severely to profoundly deaf in my left ear and moderately deaf in my right. My hearing has been dropping since I was 3 and I hate the hearing tests too they're so long 😔

It's such a pain constantly getting tested when you know exactly what the result is going to be!! My hospital doesn't do hearing tests simply because the area is so noisy so I have to travel quite a bit to get tested so expenses add up.

I'm profoundly deaf in my right and my left isn't perfect. More of an annoyance than anything else as I often miss out huge chunks of conversations with people :colondollar:
As someone who had to fight to be believed that there was something going on, I really can't understand why you'd constantly cancel your appointments? They're doing them for your benefit.
Original post by lauren.mckissock
It's such a pain constantly getting tested when you know exactly what the result is going to be!! My hospital doesn't do hearing tests simply because the area is so noisy so I have to travel quite a bit to get tested so expenses add up.

I'm profoundly deaf in my right and my left isn't perfect. More of an annoyance than anything else as I often miss out huge chunks of conversations with people :colondollar:

I know. I hate it when everyone's laughing at a joke I'm just like what's going on? 😂😔
Original post by Tiger Rag
As someone who had to fight to be believed that there was something going on, I really can't understand why you'd constantly cancel your appointments? They're doing them for your benefit.

We have them at least every 6 months sometimes more frequently. They take a minimum of 2 hours and they're just deprssing
Original post by Tiger Rag

I'm still in full-time education and would have to take the whole day out of school to travel to the hospital where my tests are done.

I completely understand that they are important - and some people such as yourself value them - but for me it's more trouble than it's worth as for the past 16/17 years of my life there has been very little change in my ability to hear.

Quick Reply

Latest