The Student Room Group

When's the best time to move in together?

I don't know when to bring this up with my boyfriend. I don't feel like the time is now, yet I'm curious to know his thoughts. My only worry is his past relationship (they broke up about two years ago), he moved in with his ex girlfriend and the relationship went downhill from there. He would stay in the spare room, she stopped paying bills and he was generally very unhappy from what I remember. He moved back home and his rents moved out, so he has a housemate temporarily.

He is sometimes quite touchy when I attempt to do things around his house, when I questioned it he said "I guess I'm just used to always being expected to do things around the house". I remember a colleague from work would randomly tell me how bad their relationship had become, she told me his ex didn't do anything around the house.

When did you and your partner decide it was time to move in together?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by phunky_fresh
I don't know when to bring this up with my boyfriend. I don't feel like the time is now, yet I'm curious to know his thoughts. My only worry is his past relationship (they broke up about two years ago), he moved in with his ex girlfriend and the relationship went downhill from there. He would stay in the spare room, she stopped paying bills and he was generally very unhappy from what I remember. He moved back home and his rents moved out, so he has a housemate temporarily.

He is sometimes quite touchy when I attempt to do things around his house, when I questioned it he said "I guess I'm just used to always being expected to do things around the house". I remember a colleague from work would randomly tell me how bad their relationship had become, she told me his ex didn't do anything around the house.

When did you and your partner decide it was time to move in together?

Well we pretty much stayed at each other's places 90% of the time for the first 3 months we were together and in the 4th I d moved in properly with him and signed the tenancy agreement and the rest is history.

To answer your question though it's when you re both ready to, guess it's different for everyone.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by claireestelle
Well we pretty much stayed at each other's places 90% of the time for the first 3 months we were together and in the 4th I d moved in properly with him and signed the tenancy agreement and the rest is history.

To answer your question though it's when you re both ready to, guess it's different for everyone.

Sorry thought I replied. Sounds like it worked out well for you both. 😊 did you live alone before you moved in with him?
We got together during uni so we basically lived together for years, spending 99% of our time at each other's place. When we stopped being students and couldn't live in halls it was just a given that we'd get a place together.
Original post by phunky_fresh
Sorry thought I replied. Sounds like it worked out well for you both. 😊 did you live alone before you moved in with him?

Yes for about 3 months when I moved for uni. It did, we make a good house cleaning and cooking team between us :tongue:
Reply 5
I don't think its good to rush things.
Obviously at the beginning of a relationship you spend most of your time at each others place, but its different to properly living together. You don't have your 'partner-free' space if you get a flat together.
Furthermore, I like the idea of taking things slowly. Originally I was meant to move in with my boyfriend in my 5th year (currently a 3rd year), but I think I'd like to wait till we both graduate and can get a proper place together. And as I said, if we were to move in together now, get married next year....what's left for in the relationship? Only kids I suppose. And we both agree we want to take it slowly.
My partner is moving into with me probably within the next two weeks, we've been together for seven months but close friends for four years.

Its up to the indaviduals involved.
Reply 7
Just before the bins get emptied

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending