The Student Room Group

Questions about delaying my start at uni again.

Right, here's the deal.

I got a deferred entry spot at Huddersfield (starting september 2017)

Depending on other factors including end date of the course and the amount of summer work I get, I may need to Start my university course at Huddersfield another year late.

I applied during my year 12 year (2015/16) for entry in 2017.

I may want to enter in 2018 now.

What do I need to know about doing this and making this decision.

How do I make it happen.

Thanks in advance for any help from a clueless man
Are the reasons you're wanting to defer really concrete and valid, or are you just deferring because you're unsure about making the move to Uni? Deferring for less that essential reasons (or that you've planned a specific gap year) could end up with multiple deferrals - you're suggesting two already.

As for the technicalities I doubt whether the uni would hold your place for a further year - they'd probably ask you to withdraw from your place and reapply in the 2018 cycle.
Just ask.

If they say you'll need to reapply when the time comes, then you just need to reapply when the time comes.

It mainly depends on how easily you think you could gain another place. Did you just scrape your current offer or was it easy?
Reply 3
Original post by Reality Check
Are the reasons you're wanting to defer really concrete and valid, or are you just deferring because you're unsure about making the move to Uni? Deferring for less that essential reasons (or that you've planned a specific gap year) could end up with multiple deferrals - you're suggesting two already.

As for the technicalities I doubt whether the uni would hold your place for a further year - they'd probably ask you to withdraw from your place and reapply in the 2018 cycle.

I do an activity called drum corps, basically marching band on steroids.

There's a branch of drum corps in the USA called DCI, they're the best of the best, however you can only do it until you're 21

it's been a long standing dream of mine to do DCI

I deferred my entry to attempt to do DCI this summer, however I was rejected during the audition phase.

So now I want to try again next year.

I would need to be in america from mid may time until late august, so summer work and the last day of my course in 2018 is relevant.

The big decision I need to make is whether I can do this between my first and second year, or put off uni for another year.

What I'm in now was a planned gap year, however it may turn into 2 - I just need the information early on with regards to the process of delaying university by another year
Reply 4
Original post by Pessimisterious
Just ask.

If they say you'll need to reapply when the time comes, then you just need to reapply when the time comes.

It mainly depends on how easily you think you could gain another place. Did you just scrape your current offer or was it easy?

The course I'm on was listed as ABB and I got AAB

The course has since changed slightly and the requirements have dropped to BBB
Original post by Natalo77
The course I'm on was listed as ABB and I got AAB

The course has since changed slightly and the requirements have dropped to BBB

Which means they're desperate for candidates. You'll be fine if you've already smashed the acceptance criteria.

I remember for my course I was scared I might not meet the requirements so I specially emailed to ask how they would look upon a missed grade. They said it was totally fine.

Turns out I smashed the requirements so all was good, heh.

HOWEVER, the crazy thing was I later discovered they had let people onto the course way below those required grades!

Universities are just about getting bums on seats now, for making £££ through tuition fees.

So if a course has lowered its entry grades, it means the course is underpopulated as it is. In your situation, with your grades, I suspect you'll be completely fine if you defer your entry.
I do an activity called drum corps, basically marching band on steroids.

There's a branch of drum corps in the USA called DCI, they're the best of the best, however you can only do it until you're 21

it's been a long standing dream of mine to do DCI

I deferred my entry to attempt to do DCI this summer, however I was rejected during the audition phase.

So now I want to try again next year.

I would need to be in america from mid may time until late august, so summer work and the last day of my course in 2018 is relevant.

The big decision I need to make is whether I can do this between my first and second year, or put off uni for another year.

What I'm in now was a planned gap year, however it may turn into 2 - I just need the information early on with regards to the process of delaying university by another year

You really need to speak to them - but as I say, I think they'd expect you to reapply. Are you happy with Huddersfield - with AAB you've got quite a few options?
Reply 7
Which means they're desperate for candidates. You'll be fine if you've already smashed the acceptance criteria.

I remember for my course I was scared I might not meet the requirements so I specially emailed to ask how they would look upon a missed grade. They said it was totally fine.

Turns out I smashed the requirements so all was good, heh.

HOWEVER, the crazy thing was I later discovered they had let people onto the course way below those required grades!

Universities are just about getting bums on seats now, for making £££ through tuition fees.

So if a course has lowered its entry grades, it means the course is underpopulated as it is. In your situation, with your grades, I suspect you'll be completely fine if you defer your entry.

I've just sent an email back to the admissions office with roughly the same as the forum post seeing what my options are.

Thanks for the help :smile:
Reply 8
You really need to speak to them - but as I say, I think they'd expect you to reapply. Are you happy with Huddersfield - with AAB you've got quite a few options?

Just sent an email to the admissions office seeing what my options are.

I quite liked huddersfield when I went to the open day. The course I want to do is mainly focused on computer games programming but I'm open to advice if there's a better choice out there

I quite liked huddersfield when I went to the open day. The course I want to do is mainly focused on computer games programming but I'm open to advice if there's a better choice out there

If you're happy with your choice, then that's absolutely fine - it's just AAB opens up a lot of courses to you. But if you're happy with the course and the university, then that's all that matters. And it's a bonus because you should be fine to receive a place again, if you do decide to withdraw and reapply.

Double check that the course is programming and not "games design".

I remember doing similar a long time ago and being accepted quickly onto a 'games design' course (Northumbria uni I think). After looking further into it, I realised it was more about the arty farty, management, HR and funding side of games design, rather than the coding aspects. I cancelled my application and didn't think about uni again for about 4 years, ha.

I remember looking at Huddersfield, but don't remember if that one was proper programming stuff or just 'design'.

A quick google tells me they have both types of course. Make sure you're going for the right one! Lowering their entry requirements to BBB makes me wonder if that's for the games design course. Computer Science and games programming would surely be quite popular and ask for higher grades??
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
Double check that the course is programming and not "games design".

I remember doing similar a long time ago and being accepted quickly onto a 'games design' course (Northumbria uni I think). After looking further into it, I realised it was more about the arty farty, management, HR and funding side of games design, rather than the coding aspects. I cancelled my application and didn't think about uni again for about 4 years, ha.

I remember looking at Huddersfield, but don't remember if that one was proper programming stuff or just 'design'.

A quick google tells me they have both types of course. Make sure you're going for the right one! Lowering their entry requirements to BBB makes me wonder if that's for the games design course. Computer Science and games programming would surely be quite popular and ask for higher grades??

Yeah it's Computer science with games programming. I remember seeing the design courses and making sure to watch out for them.

I'm not artsy...
Reply 12
If you're happy with your choice, then that's absolutely fine - it's just AAB opens up a lot of courses to you. But if you're happy with the course and the university, then that's all that matters. And it's a bonus because you should be fine to receive a place again, if you do decide to withdraw and reapply.

Sweet!

The admissions department forwarded my email to the course leader so I'll see what I get back from them

Quick Reply

Latest