The Student Room Group

To all those who got rejected from Oxbridge (from a current student)

Not getting into Oxbridge is not the end of the world; take it from a current student at Oxford. You might love your subject, or you might love the idea of studying at Oxbridge. Whatever your reason for applying, rejection might just be the best thing to happen to you.
I applied to Cambridge and was rejected. The next year, after achieving 3 A*s in my A levels, I was accepted by Oxford. I thought it was the best thing in the world, and at the time, I could not have been happier.
But after being here for a term (and a few weeks into my second term), let me tell you, it is not what it seems. Sure, there is the natural small fish in a big pond; all of a sudden you're not the best, you're lucky to be average. But that isn't what makes studying here difficult. What makes it difficult (I would say horrendous), is that no matter what you do, it is never good enough. And when you have to write 4 essays in a week on subjects you don't know much (or for me, anything) about, you find yourself in a very dark place. You fluctuate from having hope and motivation that you will be able to get by. But then you start the reading, and realise that you don't understand it, that you don't like your subject anymore, and there is no hope. You have to accept that what you hand in will be bad, that you will be brutally judged on it; that is hard to accept. It is impossible to deal with. So you comfort yourself by socializing, or watching netflix, or getting involved in too many societies. And that just makes the mess at the end worse. Having realised this, I find it impossible to even start essays. I will often just sit there, miserable, inconsolable, doing nothing. It doesn't make for a good end product.
It is a dark place from which there is no escape. And almost everyone I have talked to feels the exact same way. By the time you reach the end of term, you are sleep deprived, nutrient deprived, and often delusional. Nothing can be done about that. It is what Oxbridge does to you.
Not only that, but most of the time (especially in arts subjects) your tutorials/supervisions don't match up with lectures; you have to write essays for subjects you have never even heard about, never mind had lectures on. And if you're unlucky enough to have four essays in a week, due to bad and unorganised scheduling (which can't be avoided when you're dealing with world leading academics), you can't even begin to imagine the emptiness and darkness that brings to your life.
So please don't see getting rejected as a bad thing. Most other unis are actually better organised, and as a result your work will probably be better. You wont come to hate your subject. You will actually be able to have an enjoyable life. And trust me, I am not saying this to comfort you. I am saying this because I am so dejected and fed up by the whole Oxbridge system, that I feel a genuine need as a human being to warn people. I often wonder what my life would have been like if I had ended up at any other uni. I have forgotten what it feels like to have enough sleep, nutrients, a decent social life. All that is just a distant memory, and I am still only just getting by, by the skin of my teeth.
Rejection is probably the best thing that could have happened to you. And I am writing this as someone who has no history of depression or mental illness. I don't suffer from them. This is just what Oxbridge does to you.
I realise that it might be selfish and make me seem self absorbed to be moaning at being at such an institution. And I do appreciate the opportunity. I am grateful to have it. But it really is not all it seems. That I can assure you.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CatherineE-S
Not getting into Oxbridge is not the end of the world; take it from a current student at Oxford. You might love your subject, or you might love the idea of studying at Oxbridge. Whatever your reason for applying, rejection might just be the best thing to happen to you.
I applied to Cambridge and was rejected. The next year, after achieving 3 A*s in my A levels, I was accepted by Oxford. I thought it was the best thing in the world, and at the time, I could not have been happier.
But after being here for a term (and a few weeks into my second term), let me tell you, it is not what it seems. Sure, there is the natural small fish in a big pond; all of a sudden you're not the best, you're lucky to be average. But that isn't what makes studying here difficult. What makes it difficult (I would say horrendous), is that no matter what you do, it is never good enough. And when you have to write 4 essays in a week on subjects you don't know much (or for me, anything) about, you find yourself in a very dark place. You fluctuate from having hope and motivation that you will be able to get by. But then you start the reading, and realise that you don't understand it, that you don't like your subject anymore, and there is no hope. You have to accept that what you hand in will be bad, that you will be brutally judged on it; that is hard to accept. It is impossible to deal with. So you comfort yourself by socializing, or watching netflix, or getting involved in too many societies. And that just makes the mess at the end worse. Having realised this, I find it impossible to even start essays. I will often just sit there, miserable, inconsolable, doing nothing. It doesn't make for a good end product.
It is a dark place from which there is no escape. And almost everyone I have talked to feels the exact same way. By the time you reach the end of term, you are sleep deprived, nutrient deprived, and often delusional. Nothing can be done about that. It is what Oxbridge does to you.
Not only that, but most of the time (especially in arts subjects) your tutorials/supervisions don't match up with lectures; you have to write essays for subjects you have never even heard about, never mind had lectures on. And if you're unlucky enough to have four essays in a week, due to bad and unorganised scheduling (which can't be avoided when you're dealing with world leading academics), you can't even begin to imagine the emptiness and darkness that brings to your life.
So please don't see getting rejected as a bad thing. Most other unis are actually better organised, and as a result your work will probably be better. You wont come to hate your subject. You will actually be able to have an enjoyable life. And trust me, I am not saying this to comfort you. I am saying this because I am so dejected and fed up by the whole Oxbridge system, that I feel a genuine need as a human being to warn people. I often wonder what my life would have been like if I had ended up at any other uni. I have forgotten what it feels like to have enough sleep, nutrients, a decent social life. All that is just a distant memory, and I am still only just getting by, by the skin of my teeth.
Rejection is probably the best thing that could have happened to you. And I am writing this as someone who has no history of depression or mental illness. I don't suffer from them. This is just what Oxbridge does to you.
I realise that it might be selfish and make me seem self absorbed to be moaning at being at such an institution. And I do appreciate the opportunity. I am grateful to have it. But it really is not all it seems. That I can assure you.

Thankyou, it's very kind of you to post this. I hope things get better for you.

Thank you so much for posting this, it makes me feel almost relieved about my rejection 😂💖 hope things get better for you
Reply 3

A lot of people feel that way early on. It almost always gets better.
Reply 4

As a 1st year at Cambridge, I definitely agree that the work is very hard, and will not suit people who can't deal with pressure well. A lot of what you have said is true, but I still think the overall experience is worth it. I wouldn't want to discourage people from applying just because it's hard; it's meant to be. And there are a lot of support networks to help you deal with the pressure. Also, because everyone is in the same boat, it creates a nice and understanding environment.

I really hope it gets better for you; I'm sure it will! <3

Sorry to hear of how you're feeling but good on you for being open and honest enough to write about what it can really be like :yes: Sounds like your subject is very hard-going if you're having to do 4 essays a week :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I hope things go better for you, too. Keep in mind, what you are experiencing is only the darkest moment in a period of adjustment to a new work style and ethic. If you keep at it, you will find a rhythm, but you have to reach a good level quickly or you will be crushed at end-of-year exams.

My daughter felt this way at Cam for part of the time. It was absolutely brutal, but she got through it and is now very happy in grad school in her subject, for which she still feels great passion.

It often gives perspective to be able to criticize from within, you see that institutions and people in them can be flawed, but also that there are great things to earn and learn there. Good luck.
Hang in there, but take control. Have you spopken to anyone about the bad scheduling? Four esays in one week is insane and someone should be doing something about it, otherwise you're going to end up with weeks of no essays at all, which would be equally insane.

Lectures are never going to match up to work, and anyway, are only an add on to reading. You will get skilled at picking out the bits of books which are relevant and ignoring the rest. Your tutor will rightly pick holes in your essays, but he's not judging you, he's teaching you. If he just said it was all good you wouldn't learn anything. It's really hard, when the tutor is the expert and you are new to a subject, to have any kind of a discussion, but seize on anything you feel strongly about and argue your point. You may be right!

Oxford is very different from school, even more so than when I was there, I think. At school, even at A level, pupils are very spoon fed. It's a shock suddenly to have to do everything yourself. But everyone is in the same boat (yes really, even if they don't look as if they are!). Speak to someone, see if you can get a better schedule, and don't be so hard on yourself. You don't have to be perfect. Nobody is. They're not judging you, they're teaching you, but in a style you've not been used to until now. Ultimately what matters is your exams, not what you think your tutor thinks of you.
But after being here for a term (and a few weeks into my second term),

I think its a toss up: which the worst part of the degree, 5th week of michaelmas 1st year when the excitement is dying down, you've had a couple bad tutorials and you're adjusting to the fact that this is hard work, or 5th week Hillary 1st year, when you're getting used to it and getting better at your subject but the days are so dark and cold and not much is happening.

It also sounds like you've had it particularly tough recently - 4 essays in a week is crazy. But I assume that means you have fewer essays over future weeks?

I definitely found myself a little overwhelmed at first, primarily by pressure tutors were putting on me rather than because i was doing particularly badly. When I realised i could pass the exams and get that low 2.i regardless the pressure kind of fell away. They just wanted all their students to get a 1st (fair enough, its their job) but I wasn't interested and I made peace with that.

I'm glad you've got some extracurriculars in there though. Very much a good sign. And the fact that you're confiding in friends too - don't be afraid of seeking further help if you need it. Stick it out.
(edited 7 years ago)
OP, 2nd year is waaaayyyy better than 1st.
And if you are still feeling this way next year, then there's no shame in transferring elsewhere :smile:

Good luck.
well I have had experiences that make me feel I should disagree with this. I have not been to Oxbridge yet however I did have a similar experience on smaller scale. See I went to normal comprehensives throughout my entire schooling life and they wrote me off due to the autism and put me in the special classes for almost anything. When I actually got semi decent GCSES I applied to a grammar school for the sixth form and got accepted.

They to would late under estimate me due to the autism but the best thing they ever did for me was at the start I had not been taught to a great standard at my previous school and was expecting my"brilliant essays"to come back with A grades when they came back with E grades it made for a nasty shock, but by holding me to a higher standard I developed and improved it was unpleasant at the time but it was good for me.

I am guessing OXbridge would be similar just on a much larger scale. you don't become the best by competing with average you become the best by competing with the best. If you want to be the very best you are going to have to be dragged through the mud, it is just a question of how much you want it.

First year blues - a common set of symptoms! :console:

What subject are you doing out of interest? Four essays a week is pretty full on! I assume a temporary situation?

What a load of rubbish.

Here's the reality kids.

It doesn't matter which University you go to the same things will happen
- Most of you will have the time of your life
- Some of you will excel
- Some of you will rebel

And it really matter not what the name of the university is, the same rules will apply. Because it is far more about the massive leap from living at home school kid to independent young adult away at university.

Take home message
- You are probably just as likely to have issues like the OP at any university. Most people won't, but some will. That is life.
- Not getting into your first choice uni is a blow, but such is life. Typically though regardless of which uni people end up in they soon decide its the best one for them. That is also life.
Original post by Jamie
What a load of rubbish.

Here's the reality kids.

Helpful... Did you go to Oxford or Cambridge? Because nearly everyone who has commented on the OP's post has, and they don't seem to feel that the OP is 'self -pitying' or feels the need to give such a dismissive response.

OP: well done for being able to express how you're feeling - a lot of people feel they can't possibly express any sort of disappointment or frustration with the Oxbridge system for fear of appearing entirely ungrateful and self-centred. But this isn't the case - it's very common to feel like this in the first term (or dare I say the first two terms!). It will seem hopeless, but it honestly isn't. Do your best (after all, you can't do more than that), always seek help and advice from your DoS and Tutor and try to retain some perspective. It will get easier.
Original post by Jamie
What a load of rubbish.

Here's the reality kids.

- Some of you will excel
- Some of you will rebel
- Some of you will fall into a depressing hole of self pity and doubt (like the OP here)

And it really matter not what the name of the university is, the same rules will apply. Because it is far more about the massive leap from living at home school kid to independent young adult away at university.

Take home message
- You are probably just as likely to have issues like the OP at any university. Most people won't, but some will. That is life.
- Not getting into your first choice uni is a blow, but such is life. Typically though regardless of which uni people end up in they soon decide its the best one for them. That is also life.
- The OP is making comments they cannot possibly back up by comparing with other unis without the experience to proove it even anecdotally.

Absolutely correct.
Original post by Mathemagicien
Why does the link in "Today on TSR" say: To those of you who got rejected from Oxford?

:mad:

:rofl:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why does the link in "Today on TSR" say: To those of you who got rejected from Oxford?

:mad:

Bit like a kiss of death, isn't it? Why couldn't they squeeze the extra words in?
What extra words?

'from a current student'.
Oh yeah. My attention span is

:biggrin: sorry, you were saying...? (I would say it's your age, but you might only be 18!)
Original post by Jamie
What a load of rubbish.

Here's the reality kids.

- Some of you will excel
- Some of you will rebel
- Some of you will fall into a depressing hole of self pity and doubt (like the OP here)

Take home message
- The OP is making comments they cannot possibly back up by comparing with other unis without the experience to proove it even anecdotally.

Your post is somewhat disingenuous you appear to be implying that degrees from elsewhere are just as hard. This is very far from the truth sure if a student went to MIT or Harvard etc this might hold, but you can't compare Oxbridge to Nottingham or hull or London met etc.

Nottingham is a decent university it's just not the same standard as Oxbridge if I struggled at Nottingham I'd be very unlikely to survive at Oxbridge if I was coping fine at Oxbridge I'd likely cruise by at Nottingham. If I struggled at hull I'd likely struggle even more at Nottingham and be very unlikely to survive at Oxbridge and if I struggled at London met i would have no chance of surviving at Oxbridge degrees are not all of the same standard or difficulty. That is utter nonsense.

Ow obviously someone that would struggle at London met is very unlikely to get into Oxbridge but I do have difficulty believing hat the university admissions process is ubiqioutsly efficient that everyone gets into their exact level of difficulty meaning the exact same ratio of students struggle or don't struggle.

Regardless though however skilled or unskilled I am in the relative subject I am more likely to struggle at Cambridge then I am in the vast majority of other places.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending