The Student Room Group

Is Nicki Minaj a feminist icon?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cherryred90s
Anaconda was made because slim women are idolised a lot and the more curvy women are made to feel like they aren't appealing, but I agree that she could've worded it differently instead of saying 'f*ck them skinny b*tches', but that's not to say that she can't be an icon

In response to perceived body shaming she's shaming other people's bodies; that's the definition of hypocrisy. I also disagree with her premise, the body type that seems to have been 'fashionable' for the past few years has been narrow waist and big hips with a big bum which is exactly what she looks like.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Len Goodman
It's sickening that so many young girls idolise women like her. Why can't they look up to true female icons, such as Margaret Thatcher, Ann Widdecombe, and Phyllis Schlafly?

Nicki Minaj is bloody awful. But I fail to see how Ann Widdecombe is any better.
Original post by jambojim97
Nicki Minaj is bloody awful. But I fail to see how Ann Widdecombe is any better.

I think most people would rather their children became successful using their brain rather than their god given massive bum

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Underscore__
In response to perceived body shaming she's shaming other people's bodies; that's the definition of hypocrisy. I also disagree with her premise, the body type that seems to have been 'fashionable' for the past few years has been narrow waist and big hips with a big bum which is exactly what she looks like.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not all women have her body type, she was embracing all women that fall outside of the typical skinny girl. Despite that, that one music video doesn't discredit all the things that she has done in her career thus far, nor should it.
Not all women have her body type, she was embracing all women that fall outside of the typical skinny girl. Despite that, that one music video doesn't discredit all the things that she has done in her career thus far, nor should it.

If that was her aim she did a terrible job in sending that message and I said in my previous post her interpretation of society is clearly flawed if she thinks being skinny is celebrated, outside of high fashion modelling that really isn't the case.

What has she done for women in her career?

Posted from TSR Mobile
:rofl:
If that was her aim she did a terrible job in sending that message and I said in my previous post her interpretation of society is clearly flawed if she thinks being skinny is celebrated, outside of high fashion modelling that really isn't the case.

What has she done for women in her career?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well yeah, she made reference to modelling and how the skinnier models who wear bikinis aren't insulted. A lot of thicker women actually enjoyed that music video, and I think that was her target audience anyway. Even Sharon osbourne said that nicki minaj's anaconda cover was 'cheap' but she praised Kim kardashians naked picture, which was very hypocritical of her.

She's opened doors for women who want to become successful within the industry. She is the highest selling female rapper of all time, she came from a poor home and worked her way up from the bottom. She has shown that women can succeed in a male dominated field. She's done things that no female rapper has ever done before I.e clothing line /perfume/ American idol/movies/won several BET awards/first female on the Forbes cash kings list.

Defying the odds is always inspiring.
(edited 7 years ago)
I think most people would rather their children became successful using their brain rather than their god given massive bum

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmmm bet Hitler's parents had an effing rave...
Original post by jambojim97
Hmmm bet Hitler's parents had an effing rave...

Because of course, comparing Anne Widdecombe and Hitler is reasonable

Well yeah, she made reference to modelling and how the skinnier models who wear bikinis aren't insulted.

That's still wrong, left wing media are constantly bashing size zero supermodels whilst excusing those who are dangerously overweight.

A lot of thicker women actually enjoyed that music video, and I think that was her target audience anyway. Even Sharon osbourne said that nicki minaj's anaconda cover was 'cheap' but she praised Kim kardashians naked picture, which was very hypocritical of her.

I'm not criticising the video, I'm criticising her for body shaming people in response to perceived body shaming. I don't see what relevance Sharon Osbourne has to my point if anything she strengthens it; another self proclaimed feminist being a hypocrite.

She's opened doors for women who want to become successful within the industry.

Did she? How many other female rappers have made the mainstream since her?

She is the highest selling female rapper of all time, she came from a poor home and worked her way up from the bottom.

As do most entertainers, she's nothing new in that regard.

She has shown that women can succeed in a male dominated field.

What's funny is I'd argue she rode two men who were the most popular rappers at the time to become so successful.

She's done things that no female rapper has ever done before I.e clothing line /perfume/ American idol/movies/won several BET awards/first female on the Forbes cash kings list.

She did a clothing line with K Matt, hardly the mark of success. Having a perfume is hardly impressive Cher Lloyd has one for Christ's sake. BET awards, the true mark of achievement.

Despite the fact I'm essentially trashing everything she's done she's obviously far more successful in her field than most will ever be but simply being successful doesn't make her a feminist icon, she's done nothing for their cause.

Defying the odds is always inspiring.

Ched Evans, Aaron Hernandez and Donald Trump are such inspirations.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's still wrong, left wing media are constantly bashing size zero supermodels whilst excusing those who are dangerously overweight.

No it's not wrong. Size zero models wearing lingerie are seen as angelic and beautiful. Nicki minaj doing the same thing is seen as trashy and cheap.

I'm not criticising the video, I'm criticising her for body shaming people in response to perceived body shaming. I don't see what relevance Sharon Osbourne has to my point if anything she strengthens it; another self proclaimed feminist being a hypocrite.

Well yeah and I said that she could've worded it differently, but I understood the message she was sending, as did millions of other women.

Did she? How many other female rappers have made the mainstream since her?

Dej loaf, Young MA, remy ma made a comeback too

As do most entertainers, she's nothing new in that regard.

She is something new since she was the first female rapper to ever do it. A lot of women would feel intimidated being in an industry run by men, and it is rather disheartening to be told that no female has ever succeeded in the same way that a man has, so her perseverance took courage, whether you want to admit that or not.

What's funny is I'd argue she rode two men who were the most popular rappers at the time to become so successful.

Rode two men? What do you mean by that? Which men?

She did a clothing line with K Matt, hardly the mark of success. Having a perfume is hardly impressive Cher Lloyd has one for Christ's sake. BET awards, the true mark of achievement.

Well it was successful since it was sold out not long after. She purposely chose K mart, because it's affordable for the average person as opposed to other celebrity clothing lines which are ridiculously expensive.

having a perfume line is impressive if you were the first in your field to ever do it. If it were so easy, it's begs the question why other female rappers before her weren't able to do it.

She won 7 billboard awards in a row. How is that not impressive?

Despite the fact I'm essentially trashing everything she's done she's obviously far more successful in her field than most will ever be but simply being successful doesn't make her a feminist icon, she's done nothing for their cause.

She has. She always talks about how important it is for girls to not be dependent on a man, to not sleep with someone for a come up, and to further your education.
She is a clear feminist icon if she's been able to be the first ever woman to do so many things in the music industry.

It seems like you have based your entire opinion on one music video.
Nah, not really. She's like Taylor, only saying she's a feminist because it's the 'in' thing right now-also to boost record sales.
No it's not wrong. Size zero models wearing lingerie are seen as angelic and beautiful. Nicki minaj doing the same thing is seen as trashy and cheap.

Outside of high fashion who celebrates size zero? Skinny girls have been increasingly shunned in order to appease overweight women. The body shape that is now celebrated is the small waist, big hips and bum. All she did in that song is further shun skinny women or in fact any woman who doesn't happen to have a big bum.

Well yeah and I said that she could've worded it differently, but I understood the message she was sending, as did millions of other women.

You're sweeping her blatant hypocrisy under the rug like it didn't happen.

Dej loaf, Young MA, remy ma made a comeback too

I said mainstream, those three combine for one top thirty song in the US Billboard chart.

She is something new since she was the first female rapper to ever do it. A lot of women would feel intimidated being in an industry run by men, and it is rather disheartening to be told that no female has ever succeeded in the same way that a man has, so her perseverance took courage, whether you want to admit that or not.

Wrong. Lil Kim, Queen Latifah, Eve and Missy Elliot all came before her. I'm sure people more into rap could name even more female rappers who came from nothing and became successful in rap.

Rode two men? What do you mean by that? Which men?

Lil Wayne and Drake, without them I very much doubt she'd be where she is.

Well it was successful since it was sold out not long after. She purposely chose K mart, because it's affordable for the average person as opposed to other celebrity clothing lines which are ridiculously expensive.

Celebrity clothing lines are almost always cheap, just look at the reality TV 'stars' who do it here. Charlotte Crosby had a clothing line and all she did was get drunk and have sex on the TV, having a clothing line isn't recognition of a great career. What it does show is that women aspire to look like you (do you see what I mean, women want to look like her, someone with a small waist, big hips and big bum).

having a perfume line is impressive if you were the first in your field to ever do it. If it were so easy, it's begs the question why other female rappers before her weren't able to do it.

Well Alesha Dixon did rap a little bit in 'Scandalous' and Cher Lloyd is also kind of a rapper sometimes. Whatever way you look at it having a perfume line, just like having a clothing line isn't much of an achievement.

She won 7 billboard awards in a row. How is that not impressive?

She's only won four billboard awards unless you're counting her award for 'most memorable feud'

She has. She always talks about how important it is for girls to not be dependent on a man, to not sleep with someone for a come up, and to further your education.
She is a clear feminist icon if she's been able to be the first ever woman to do so many things in the music industry.

I really don't see how you can call someone a feminist icon when they've very publicly body shamed millions of women. It's almost like saying Jimmy Saville was great for children.

It seems like you have based your entire opinion on one music video.

It seems like you haven't read what I've said, I've never even seen the music video I've spoken about the lyrics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think she is. She's not just a fat ass.
She always talks about how important it is for women to be independent and not to depend on a man for anything. She pushes for young girls to stay in school in order for them to become successful business women. She created a lane for herself, and defied everyone that ever doubted her!

lol
Outside of high fashion who celebrates size zero? Skinny girls have been increasingly shunned in order to appease overweight women. The body shape that is now celebrated is the small waist, big hips and bum. All she did in that song is further shun skinny women or in fact any woman who doesn't happen to have a big bum.

I have said that she was referring to high fashion models. Semi naked skinny models aren't looked at as trashy and cheap, whereas she is, and it wasn't just about having a big bum, it was about being big in general and especially in the industry, she said that women are under so much pressure to be thin. If a celeb looks like they've put on a couple of lbs, it would be all over the media for the whole word to see, which is upsetting. She wanted to show that it's okay to be bigger, you don't have to feel bad about your body.

You're sweeping her blatant hypocrisy under the rug like it didn't happen.

How? I acknowledged that yes it was hypocritical and could've been worded differently, but it shouldn't take away from the message she was sending.

I said mainstream, those three combine for one top thirty song in the US Billboard chart.

Well, it takes time. You don't become mainstream overnight, but those are examples of female rappers who have came after her (minus remy but she is making a come back) and have been successful in their careers so far.

Wrong. Lil Kim, Queen Latifah, Eve and Missy Elliot all came before her. I'm sure people more into rap could name even more female rappers who came from nothing and became successful in rap.

Yes they all came before her, but none of them were as successful as she is. That's my point. The ones before her were successful to a degree, she has surpassed them all.

Lil Wayne and Drake, without them I very much doubt she'd be where she is.

Her success doesn't have much to do with drake but in terms of lil Wayne, yes he thought she was talented so he signed her to his label. That's normal. She still had to work just as hard, if not harder than the men in the industry.

Celebrity clothing lines are almost always cheap, just look at the reality TV 'stars' who do it here. Charlotte Crosby had a clothing line and all she did was get drunk and have sex on the TV, having a clothing line isn't recognition of a great career. What it does show is that women aspire to look like you (do you see what I mean, women want to look like her, someone with a small waist, big hips and big bum).

Most celebrity clothing lines are not cheap, let's be honest. Having a clothing line that sells out and grosses lots of money is definitely an achievement. She made sure to use models of all shapes and sizes to show how her clothes look on different body types.

Well Alesha Dixon did rap a little bit in 'Scandalous' and Cher Lloyd is also kind of a rapper sometimes. Whatever way you look at it having a perfume line, just like having a clothing line isn't much of an achievement.

Alesha Dixon and Cher Lloyd are not recognised as rappers, they're singers. Beyoncé has rapped before, but she's still a singer.
Like I said, it is an achievement if you were the first female rapper to do it.

She's only won four billboard awards unless you're counting her award for 'most memorable feud'

She has won 7 consecutive billboard awards.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.bet.com/music/2016/06/26/nicki-minaj-wins-best-female-hip-hop-artist-for-7th-year-in-a-ro.amp.html?client=safari

I really don't see how you can call someone a feminist icon when they've very publicly body shamed millions of women. It's almost like saying Jimmy Saville was great for children.

I've stated how she preaches about the importance of women's independence and she does that in literally every concert and most of her interviews, even in some of her songs too.

It seems like you haven't read what I've said, I've never even seen the music video I've spoken about the lyrics.

Posted from TSR Mobile

whether you're referring to the video or the lyrics, you've still based your opinion of her on that one song.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Wilfred Little
lol

Very informative
Original post by Len Goodman
It's sickening that so many young girls idolise women like her. Why can't they look up to true female icons, such as Margaret Thatcher, Ann Widdecombe, and Phyllis Schlafly?

1st one : :|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|
2nd one: lol
3rd one: you realise she is an anti feminist.

btw, IM taking a wild stab in the dark guess here but are you a labour / pro-liberal supporter?

Lauryn Hill, Salt n Pepa, Trina, Rah Digga, Lady of Rage, MC Lyte, Foxy Brown. Even some UK MCs like Ms. Dynamite. Nicki is doing absolutely nothing new in this regard.

I'm not sure if Jennifer Lopez has ever rapped on a record but she was in Hip-Hop circles and had released Hip-Hop by the time she released a perfume, which she did about eight years before Nicki released her first album.

Either way like you say it's hardly a groundbreaking venture like for example Beats by Dre.
Yes they all came before her, but none of them were as successful as she is. That's my point. The ones before her were successful to a degree, she has surpassed them all.

What specifically did you mean by 'first to ever do it'?
Original post by Wilfred Little
What specifically did you mean by 'first to ever do it'?

- First female rapper to win 7 billboard awards consecutively
- first female rapper to launch a clothing line
- first female rapper to launch perfume
- first female rapper to have the number 1 top selling viva glam lipstick of all time
- first female rapper to appear on the Forbes cash kings list
- first female artist to have four simultaneous top 10 records on billboards mainstream R&B/hip hop chart
-first solo female rapper to perform on the Grammys
- first female rapper to have two number one albums (as a solo artist)
- first female artist to be included on MTVs annual hottest MCs list and was quoted as "the most influential female rapper of all time"
- First female rapper to win 7 billboard awards consecutively
- first female rapper to launch a clothing line
- first female rapper to launch perfume
- first female rapper to have the number 1 top selling viva glam lipstick of all time
- first female rapper to appear on the Forbes cash kings list
- first female artist to have four simultaneous top 10 records on billboards mainstream R&B/hip hop chart
-first solo female rapper to perform on the Grammys
- first female rapper to have two number one albums (as a solo artist)
- first female artist to be included on MTVs annual hottest MCs list and was quoted as "the most influential female rapper of all time"

Some serious barrel scraping there. Lipstick selling :biggrin:

How many other female rappers take lipstick selling seriously?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending