The Student Room Group

Is virginity a social construct?

What are your opinions?
Pretty much. It's a bit silly really.
I think the question is stupid.

'Virginity' is a word. A word that refers to something in the world - that is, whether or not someone has had sex. The word 'virginity' is a social construct in that it is an abstract concept which has been created by human beings.

All words are abstractions, if you want to go down that route.
if someone identifies as a virgin then they have the right to be a virgin.
Yes- how does a gay/lesbian lose their virginity?
Original post by loveleest
Yes- how does a gay/lesbian lose their virginity?

sex?
Of course it is but I don't think that says anything about whether it is important or not. There are loads of social constructs that are huge parts of our lives and how we understand the world. If you want to get philosophical about it you can question whether anything exists outside our minds.
All of us are born with multiple virginities, and keep most of them: you've probably never had sex with a sheep. However one - penis in vagina sex - is privileged by most but not all societies. Of course it's a social construct.
Original post by cambio wechsel
sex?

but how? Is it oral/anal ?
Reply 9
but how? Is it oral/anal ?

Then they loose their oral or anal virginity, which most people would just term as loosing their virginity.
Original post by Dheorl
Then they loose their oral or anal virginity, which most people would just term as loosing their virginity.

But a lot of people class losing virginity through vaginal sex only. People don't really count oral...maybe anal...
Original post by unprinted
All of us are born with multiple virginities, and keep most of them: you've probably never had sex with a sheep.

Some people on this forum I wouldn't be surprised...
But a lot of people class losing virginity through vaginal sex only. People don't really count oral...maybe anal...

There are societies - Thailand is one - where the vast majority of people don't count anal as being "sex".
Original post by Drewski
Some people on this forum I wouldn't be surprised...

I did say 'probably' :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending