The Student Room Group

Surprise surprise, identity of Quebec shooter revealed!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Underscore__
When did I say it wasn't terrorism? What you're failing to understand is this person is a white supremacist meaning that if you expect muslims to condemn all terrorist attacks carried out by muslims then only white supremacists would need to condemn this attack

Posted from TSR Mobile

White people need to speak up/their leaders

As somebody who is part white myself,I would like to comdemn this vile attack on a peaceful minority. May god rest the souls of their victims.
Original post by astutehirstute
Of course he is mentally ill.

What sane person goes into a mosque and shoots people?

Oh but that's never the excuse given to other who commit such atrocities and why is that? Care to elaborate. You are not his psychiatrist,stop trying your hardest to excuse it
Original post by Mathemagicien
Farage, Le Pen and Trump were directly responsible for this.

UKIPpers and Trump supporters, shame on you all.

Your hatred and vitriol is causing a slow descent into civil war.

This was a far-right French Canadian, and the far-right in Quebec is deeply linked with the far-right in France. The far-right leader in France is a top candidate for the presidency.

We need an alt-left to organise the dissent against these fascists who are usurping the West. A peoples' uprising against the white supremacists who seek to massacre and deport blacks and muslims. To defend the weak, and those who do not conform to the fascists' antiquated views on gender, sexuality, and everything else.

In the Name of Humanity, We REFUSE To Accept a Fascist West!

Millions of people around the world are filled with deep anxiety, fear, and disgust. Our anguish is right and just. Our anger must now become massive resistance before the fascists across Europe gain power.

Should we fail to rise with determination and daring in our millions now to stop this, the consequences for humanity will be disastrous. We, the peoples' defenders, know in the depths of our beings, the catastrophe that will befall the people of the world should the fascist regimes assume full power.

Our resistance must spread rapidly to every sphere and every corner of the country. Because we refuse to accept a fascist Europe, millions must rise up in a resistance with a deep determination such that we create a political crisis that prevents the fascist regimes from gaining the governance of society.

Fascism foments and relies on xenophobic nationalism, racism, misogyny, and the aggressive re-institution of oppressive “traditional values.” Fascism feeds on and encourages the threat and use of violence to build a movement and come to power. Fascism, once in power, essentially eliminates traditional democratic rights. Fascism attacks, jails, even executes its opponents, and launches violent mob attacks on “minorities.” In Nazi Germany in the 1930s and ’40s, fascism did all these things. This is where this can go. And yes, Hitler himself could “talk graciously” when he felt it would serve his interests and lull his opponents.

If you work with fascists you normalize the road to horror. You cannot try to “wait things out.” Those who lived through Nazi Germany and sat on the sidelines, looking on as Hitler demonized, criminalized, and eventually rounded up one group after another, became shameful collaborators with monstrous crimes. Don’t Conciliate… Don’t Accommodate… Don’t Collaborate!

This is not wishful thinking but could be made a reality if all who hate what is represented by these fascists translate our outrage into massive mobilization to create the political conditions which make this possible. We are millions.

We call on each and every one who opposes what these fascists stand for, and what it will do, to take part in and actively build, this resistance and refusal. Organize. Plan. Act.

You have far too much spare time...
Reply 103
Original post by queen-bee
Excuses excuses excuses
What, precisely, do you think that I am excusing?

Did you not read my other post?
Do you need the pictures?
Oh but that's never the excuse given to other who commit such atrocities and why is that? Care to elaborate. You are not his psychiatrist,stop trying your hardest to excuse it

Not really. :smile:

(And please don't stalk me again and send PM's asking if the "cat's got my tongue", and when am I going to reply?)

I have said all I want to say on the matter. A nutjob has done the stuff some nutjobs do.

It is very sad indeed.
Original post by QE2
So, you don't read the news or go on social media then?
I have a Canadian flag filter on my profile pic, as do some of my friends. I had a Turkish one after New Year. Stop trying to construct issues that don't exist.
The Eiffel tower was darkened.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/international-tribute-quebec-city-mosque-reax-1.3957901

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/01/quebec-mosque-attack-social-media-tributes-pour-170130151233911.html

I do go on the news and social media. I saw no trending hashtag expressing solidarity with the victims, and have seen no use of Canadian flags in profile pictures. When it was the Paris and Belgian attacks, outrage was widespread and everyone was using the filters. Do you actually think that the response to this attack is on the same level as that of the Paris attack for example?
Original post by cbreef
Ew?

Older brother, where have you been?

I know i'm being a bit mean but he deserves it.
Reply 107
As somebody who is part white myself,I would like to comdemn this vile attack on a peaceful minority. May god rest the souls of their victims. Really, I fail to see what colour has to do with this. I would expect all-whites and non-whites to condemn this just as unequivocally as part-whites.

Also, it's quite telling that some people assume that because the victims were Muslim that they must have been brown. When you think about it, it's actually quite a racist assumption.
Please be aware that Muslims come in all colours and nationalities. Thank you.
Reply 108
You are correct. Full-immersion indoctrination into extremist ideology allows for the abrogation of all moral responsibility and the dehumanisation of the "enemy", and as such, a person can be entirely same and still commit acts of the most appaling barbarity.
Original post by Trinculo
On liberal Canadian values...

If you're not a refugee, or have family already in the country, unless you're a sports star or (for some reason) a farmer, it's pretty tough to migrate to Canada.

It could be said that the reason the Canadian PM is so open to refugees is because currently Canada (for obvious geographical reasons) only takes a very small number, similarly Canada has no land border with Mexico, and it's very easy to be generous when migration isn't actually a current problem.

European countries accept more refugees by orders of magnitude. It's not impossible that if Canada took anything like the same numbers, their attitudes would shift markedly in a very short space of time.

How is Canada's refugee policy relevant to this topic or what I posted?

Is the shooters racist line of thinking (anti-immigration, anti-Muslim, pro-Trump, alt-right/neo-nazi) commonplace in Canada? Nope.

Is there a country that is producing and legitimising this ideology nearby? Yup. It's only logical in the current environment, that Canada becomes "proactive", and protects itself with a blanket ban against people from this country. You never know which "bad dude" might enter.

========

Also on Canadian refugee policy. That was Stephen Harper's private refugee sponsorship policy. Which continues with Trudeau, but on top of that he has taken another 22,000 government sponsored refugees in 2016, with another 2000 processed and ready to be brought in. Taking the number to 42,000.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/refugees/welcome/milestones.asp

That puts Canada only behind Germany, Sweden (and Greece?) in the West.

=========
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by QE2
Really, I fail to see what colour has to do with this. I would expect all-whites and non-whites to condemn this just as unequivocally as part-whites.

Also, it's quite telling that some people assume that because the victims were Muslim that they must have been brown. When you think about it, it's actually quite a racist assumption.
Please be aware that Muslims come in all colours and nationalities. Thank you.

Lol lecturing me about Muslims. Islam isn't a race,it's a religion BUT most islamophobes on this site are obsessed with middle eastern Islam,why Muslims do not come to mind when they think of islam,especially with ISIS and everything that's happening right now
Original post by astutehirstute
Not really. :smile:

(And please don't stalk me again and send PM's asking if the "cat's got my tongue", and when am I going to reply?)

I have said all I want to say on the matter. A nutjob has done the stuff some nutjobs do.

It is very sad indeed.

No use of the word terrorist,terrorism,trying to deflect from the truth. Maybe you're also a closet white supremacist. Be gone now
Original post by Houthi3
all white people must openly condemn this terrorist otherwise you'd be complicit...

How you define "white people"?
Original post by admonit

Stop playing dumb please
Original post by saraxh
I know i'm being a bit mean but he deserves it.

What did you mean though?
Reply 115
Original post by childofthesun
I do go on the news and social media. I saw no trending hashtag expressing solidarity with the victims, and have seen no use of Canadian flags in profile pictures.
Well, they are there. And the media streams have had little else as their main item.

When it was the Paris and Belgian attacks, outrage was widespread and everyone was using the filters. Do you actually think that the response to this attack is on the same level as that of the Paris attack for example?
No, it probably isn't. An I am getting tired of explaining this every time there is an attack.

People react to events on the basis on a combination of familiarity and proximity.
For example, this attack has probably had a greater response in France than it has in the UK. However, if it had occured in Vancouver, it may have received more coverage in the UK.
The Paris attack would have a greater response in the UK and Spain than the Turkey attack, whereas the Turkey attacks would have a bigger response in Greece and Syria.
It's not rocket science and it is either naive or disingenuous to insist that all events should elicit the same response from everyone.
Reply 116
Lol lecturing me about Muslims. Islam isn't a race,it's a religion
Well done!

BUT most islamophobes on this site are obsessed with middle eastern Islam,
What is "Middle Eastern Islam"? I don't want to lecture you again, but did you know that there is only one Islam. The word of Allah from the Quran and the example of Muhammad from the sunnah. Different parts of the world don't have different Islams. It's not McDonald's you know!

why Muslims do not come to mind when they think of islam,especially with ISIS and everything that's happening right now
Sorry, didn't understand this bit.
Reply 117
Original post by admonit
She means "non-Muslims", because she thinks that all brown people are Muslim. Or is it the other way round.
Original post by QE2
Well done!

What is "Middle Eastern Islam"? I don't want to lecture you again, but did you know that there is only one Islam. The word of Allah from the Quran and the example of Muhammad from the sunnah. Different parts of the world don't have different Islams. It's not McDonald's you know!

Sorry, didn't understand this bit.

When they hear Islam they think of the Middle East,middle eastern Muslims/Arab muslims,especially when it comes to to terrorist attacks/suspects of such attacks. Don't act dumb boo.

Typo,was meant to say white instead of 'why'
Original post by Mathemagicien
Farage, Le Pen and Trump were directly responsible for this.

UKIPpers and Trump supporters, shame on you all.

Your hatred and vitriol is causing a slow descent into civil war.

This was a far-right French Canadian, and the far-right in Quebec is deeply linked with the far-right in France. The far-right leader in France is a top candidate for the presidency.

We need an alt-left to organise the dissent against these fascists who are usurping the West. A peoples' uprising against the white supremacists who seek to massacre and deport blacks and muslims. To defend the weak, and those who do not conform to the fascists' antiquated views on gender, sexuality, and everything else.

In the Name of Humanity, We REFUSE To Accept a Fascist West!

Millions of people around the world are filled with deep anxiety, fear, and disgust. Our anguish is right and just. Our anger must now become massive resistance before the fascists across Europe gain power.

Should we fail to rise with determination and daring in our millions now to stop this, the consequences for humanity will be disastrous. We, the peoples' defenders, know in the depths of our beings, the catastrophe that will befall the people of the world should the fascist regimes assume full power.

Our resistance must spread rapidly to every sphere and every corner of the country. Because we refuse to accept a fascist Europe, millions must rise up in a resistance with a deep determination such that we create a political crisis that prevents the fascist regimes from gaining the governance of society.

Fascism foments and relies on xenophobic nationalism, racism, misogyny, and the aggressive re-institution of oppressive “traditional values.” Fascism feeds on and encourages the threat and use of violence to build a movement and come to power. Fascism, once in power, essentially eliminates traditional democratic rights. Fascism attacks, jails, even executes its opponents, and launches violent mob attacks on “minorities.” In Nazi Germany in the 1930s and ’40s, fascism did all these things. This is where this can go. And yes, Hitler himself could “talk graciously” when he felt it would serve his interests and lull his opponents.

If you work with fascists you normalize the road to horror. You cannot try to “wait things out.” Those who lived through Nazi Germany and sat on the sidelines, looking on as Hitler demonized, criminalized, and eventually rounded up one group after another, became shameful collaborators with monstrous crimes. Don’t Conciliate… Don’t Accommodate… Don’t Collaborate!

This is not wishful thinking but could be made a reality if all who hate what is represented by these fascists translate our outrage into massive mobilization to create the political conditions which make this possible. We are millions.

We call on each and every one who opposes what these fascists stand for, and what it will do, to take part in and actively build, this resistance and refusal. Organize. Plan. Act.

No they were not directly responsible for this.

They do no condone this at all, you constantly say not all muslims and this man clearly does not represent all people on the right wing, it represents a very sad few. I for one would never even consider an act of violence against people I disagree with (Unless they were attacking me)
Fascism is not what really any serious political party is so stop painting it like Farage is the new Hitler and Trump wants to kill Millions of peope you are a discrace as those people that suffered know what real Fascism is.

I once thought you were left wing but sensible but clearly not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending