The Student Room Group

Surprise surprise, identity of Quebec shooter revealed!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by QE2
She means "non-Muslims", because she thinks that all brown people are Muslim. Or is it the other way round.

Ahh OK. I'm just very worried for Iranians... :smile:
Original post by QE2
Well, they are there. And the media streams have had little else as their main item.

No, it probably isn't. An I am getting tired of explaining this every time there is an attack.

People react to events on the basis on a combination of familiarity and proximity.
For example, this attack has probably had a greater response in France than it has in the UK. However, if it had occured in Vancouver, it may have received more coverage in the UK.
The Paris attack would have a greater response in the UK and Spain than the Turkey attack, whereas the Turkey attacks would have a bigger response in Greece and Syria.
It's not rocket science and it is either naive or disingenuous to insist that all events should elicit the same response from everyone.

What was this trending hashtag expressing solidarity? How many people changed their profile picture to the Canadian flag? How many newspapers had this on their front page?

I'm sorry but I don't buy that. I'm not insisting that 'all events should elicit the same response from everyone'. With incidents like the Turkey and Beirut bomb attacks, I understood why those attacks received less media coverage than for example the Paris ones. As you and others so frequently love to point out, the west tend to be more concerned with issues regarding other western countries. It's not just about proximity, the US is not of close proximity to Europe but the Orlando attack was heavily reported. Canada is a western country, so there's really no valid reason that the Quebac attack received less attention. If it had been a Muslim attacker that shot worshippers in a church, do you honestly think the level of coverage and outrage would be the same as this one?? Would you have people refusing to consider the attack an act of terrorism?

Also drop the condescending tone. It's unnecessary and adds nothing to your argument
Original post by NickLCFC
Surprise indeed. Yet another white supremacist, male terrorist.

This branch of terrorism has now become much more prolific than so-called "Islamic" terrorism. Donald Trump should ban all immigration from white Christian nations just so we can figure out what's going on.

Stop being so silly. we have a few nutters with guns compared to a *well* organized millitary with bombs tanks and many other weapons of destruction that are happy to enslave and rape and torture people they disagree with en masse. They are far far more dangerous and have killed many in Europe and far more in the Middle east. you really underestemate the evil of Islamic terrorism.

Dont get me wrong this act was awful and no sensible person would want this to ever happen
Reply 123
Original post by queen-bee
When they hear Islam they think of the Middle East,middle eastern Muslims/Arab muslims,especially when it comes to to terrorist attacks/suspects of such attacks. Don't act dumb boo.
Look, I really don't want to lecture you again, but the vast majority of the world's Muslims do actually live in the Middle East, North Africa and South Asia.
Original post by the bear
nutters + firearms = tragedy

the only part of this equation which can be tackled rigorously is the firearms, which we do successfully in this country.

Canada already has strict gun laws. Many aspects of their laws are even stricter than ours in the UK. And the gun the shooter apparently used is already illegal in Canada, so what exactly are more gun laws going to do?
Reply 125
Original post by MildredMalone
I guess such a shooter would be a white guy eventually.

Awkward when the majority of shooters are White lol
Reply 126
Right-wingers silent lol. Why aren't they condemning this?
Where are all the white supremacists who are supposed to speak up and condemn this?
They needn't to apologise on behalf of this guy or speak up against it.

The last thing we need is white supremacists streaming in and spouting their racism :lol:
Original post by QE2
Look, I really don't want to lecture you again, but the vast majority of the world's Muslims do actually live in the Middle East, North Africa and South Asia.

You're a genius! SO,you're here to confirm then that when most white supremacy apologists think about Islam/Muslims,its usually Arabs or Asian Muslims,right?
Original post by CurlyBen
For me the thing that distinguishes an act of terrorism from an act of hatred is the lack of an organisation with clear aims behind the individual. When a Muslim terrorist strikes they are generally affiliated to Al Qaeda or ISIS (either directly or through an associated group) who have clear if horrible goals, which they are prepared to use violence against civilians to achieve. That's terrorism. Whether it's effective is another debate, but that is typically the reason for conducting the attack.
On the other hand, when a lone individual (of any colour or creed) decides to shoot people of another colour or creed simply because of that difference, without any expected outcome or goal beyond the injury or death of those he attacks, that's an act of hatred. It doesn't make it any better, but I think it does distinguish it from terrorism. Unfortunately it's extremely difficult to defend against lone wolf attacks (other than by limiting supply of guns, for example, to the general population) because there's almost no way of detecting the intentions of someone who doesn't communicate them to others.
I also find it slightly ironic when people say the media never portrays white people as terrorists. I grew up associating terrorism with white people thanks to Northern Ireland.

Why is terrorism necessarily distinct from hatred? I daresay that most, if not all terrorism is precisely because the perpetrator hates the individuals or organisations it is attacking.
Reply 130
Original post by childofthesun
What was this trending hashtag expressing solidarity? How many people changed their profile picture to the Canadian flag? How many newspapers had this on their front page?
1. On twitter? I didn't specify a particular #. You just asked "Where are the #s?"
2. No idea. Kinda silly of you to expect me to know.
3. All of them (online versions - I don't do paper)

I'm sorry but I don't buy that.
Of course you don't. It doesn't fit the approved victim narrative.

As you and others so frequently love to point out, the west tend to be more concerned with issues regarding other western countries.
And "the east" (or whatever you call it - "the Muslim world?") doesn't? To coin a phrase, I'm sorry but I don't buy that.

It's not just about proximity, the US is not of close proximity to Europe but the Orlando attack was heavily reported
Which is why I specifically said "a combination of familiarity and proximity". Have a wild guess at which countries are culturally the most familiar to the British.

Canada is a western country, so there's really no valid reason that the Quebac attack received less attention.
If we take into account the severity of the attack (Orlando had over 100 casualties, 49 fatal) I'm not sure it has received less attention.

If it had been a Muslim attacker that shot worshippers in a church, do you honestly think the level of coverage and outrage would be the same as this one??
Obviously not, for the reasons I gave.

Would you have people refusing to consider the attack an act of terrorism?
Who is refusing to consider it an act of terrorism?

Also drop the condescending tone. It's unnecessary and adds nothing to your argument
D'you really think so? Well, I'm sure you know best.
Original post by childofthesun
How many newspapers had this on their front page?
well, I usually read the "Corriere della sera" (main Italian newspaper, published in Milan)-

Quebec attack had an article on the frontpage and then the entire pages 2 and 3 (pages 4 and 5 dealt about Trump, Muslim ban, xenophobia etc etc)

Not sure about all other newspapers... did you check some of them ?

best
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
The last thing we need is white supremacists streaming in and spouting their racism :lol:

There are lots of sympathisers on This site already. IKR! Just means extra stress
Original post by zezno
Awkward when the majority of shooters are White lol

Tell it boo!
Reply 134
You're a genius! SO,you're here to confirm then that when most white supremacy apologists think about Islam/Muslims,its usually Arabs or Asian Muslims,right?
When most people think of Muslims, they generally think of ME, NA and SA - because that is where the vast majority come from. It's not racist or bigoted or Islamophobic. It's not even wrong.
What is wrong is to assume that all Muslims are of a certain ethnicity. Or that all white people are non-Muslims. Or to just refer to "white people" as if they are some homogeneous group.

As I keep saying, I wish people would stop this obsession with race. It's not healthy. I'm thinking of inventing a pair of glasses that turn every skin tone to the same shade of blue.
Reply 135
There are lots of sympathisers on This site already. IKR! Just means extra stress
Perhaps if we get them on the same thread as the Islamist sympathisers they will cancel each other out like matter/anti matter, and then we can have sensible discussions about stuff without all the shrill, bonkers nonsense?
Original post by QE2
When most people think of Muslims, they generally think of ME, NA and SA - because that is where the vast majority come from. It's not racist or bigoted or Islamophobic. It's not even wrong.
What is wrong is to assume that all Muslims are of a certain ethnicity. Or that all white people are non-Muslims. Or to just refer to "white people" as if they are some homogeneous group.

As I keep saying, I wish people would stop this obsession with race. It's not healthy. I'm thinking of inventing a pair of glasses that turn every skin tone to the same shade of blue.

Go preach to the white supremacists you're making excuses for by comparing them to 'middle eastern' terrorists/brown',thus downplaying this attack
Original post by QE2
Perhaps if we get them on the same thread as the Islamist sympathisers they will cancel each other out like matter/anti matter, and then we can have sensible discussions about stuff without all the shrill, bonkers nonsense?

We can finally agree on something habibi :heart:
Original post by Ladymusiclover
So why isn't this classed as terrorism?

Who says it isn't?
Reply 139
Go preach to the white supremacists you're making excuses for by comparing them to 'middle eastern' terrorists/brown',thus downplaying this attack
WTF are you on about?
Go and have a little lie down love, and then come back and try again.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending