The Student Room Group

The Harry Potter Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Airmed
Eh, she gave him the basic plot-line, he just filled it in with **** and she thought it was great. And it's not. :sad: I had so much hope for it too.

Yeah, that's true. It'd ended at the perfect spot in the books.

But uh, a lot of people aren't considering it canon so it's... okay? Ish? Is it officially canon?
You're only just reading Harry Potter?! I had a 17 year head start on you! :awesome:

House - Ravenclaw, naturally
Patronus - Magpie :lolwut:
Ilvermoney - Horned Serpent
Wand - Spruce wood with a Dragon heartstring core 11 ¾" and Unyielding flexibility

I guess I'm an unusual Potterhead in that I dislike the films (which is weird as they were filmed 10 mins walk from me). For me, they left too much out and had shockingly bad actors. I can't forgive the producers for casting Daniel Radcliffe and Emma Watson. Harry Potter should have been made into a TV series à la Game of Thrones, would have been great.

The first three books are the best written - JK's plot suffered a bit from publisher deadlines in later years. The Order of the Phoenix is my favourite though. I love JK's wordplay and linguistic devices, and her more nuanced political themes (e.g. the Mitford sisters being the inspiration for the Black sisters). I also liked reading about the more mundane 'school' aspects of the books e.g. what the gang got up to in lessons, homework, the slow development of friendships etc which was largely left out of the films. Hermione is my favourite character - she just seems like such a nice person, a great friend.

There are a few things I dislike about HP; there is a strong 'family/blood determines your personality' theme throughout the series, most of the bad people are either fat or ugly, and the ridiculous names Harry gives his children. Apart from that, they are awesome books!

Original post by Airmed
I hated the play, tbh. Have you read it? If not, I won't spoil it for you, but tbh, it made no sense.

Yeah, I didn't like the play either. Reading it I kept thinking 'is he gay?... are they gay? omg'... and then nothing happened. :colonhash:
(edited 6 years ago)
I think the best thing about Harry Potter is the way it alludes to many of the problems the world faces in real life. Government corruption, media bias and discrimination seemed particularly well represented.

I would be in Slytherin because, whilst I value bravery, loyalty, intelligence etc. It's more for the benefits they can bring to us rather than for their own sake. I don't really like how the books seem to tar all Slytherins with the same brush.

My favourite quote is "It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live". It reminds me of the way people in real life have wasted their lives staring at their own proverbial "mirrors of Erised".

My favourite book was the Half-Blood Prince. I always enjoy looking into the backstory of the main antagonist and following him on the journey that shows how he became what he is.

I think the story should have ended with the 7th book. All these add-ons and spin-offs being added on seem terrible, and it's quite clear they're just being made for profit rather than because they benefit the overall story.
Reply 63
Original post by Athena64
Yeah, that's true. It'd ended at the perfect spot in the books.

But uh, a lot of people aren't considering it canon so it's... okay? Ish? Is it officially canon?

It might be canon, but I'm ignoring it. :laugh:

Original post by Snufkin

Yeah, I didn't like the play either. Reading it I kept thinking 'is he gay?... are they gay? omg'... and then nothing happened. :colonhash:

I really thought they would be gay. :sad:
Reply 64
My mum got the Harry Potter e-book collection today and she is going to read them once she finishes the Orange Is The New Black book :woo: I'm proud that she is interested in two great pop culture works :smile: :yep:
Reply 65
I'm about half way through GoF now and I have to admit, I find it drags on a lot more than the other books. I'm finding a bit harder to get into than the last three. Its still good and I'm enjoying the franchise though.
Original post by Spock's Socks
I'm about half way through GoF now and I have to admit, I find it drags on a lot more than the other books. I'm finding a bit harder to get into than the last three. Its still good and I'm enjoying the franchise though.

I'm on Chapter Nineteen atm (weird that we're both on the same book at the same time without coordinating it that way purposefully!), and yeah I have to agree. It's always been my least favorite book and film for that reason.

I think JK said GoF was the least good because her editors rushed her. Push through!
Original post by tazarooni89
I think the story should have ended with the 7th book. All these add-ons and spin-offs being added on seem terrible, and it's quite clear they're just being made for profit rather than because they benefit the overall story.

I recently read the play out of curiosity to see what Rowling would have Harry and co. doing, and I agree it didn't compare to the canon. That said, I don't think it was solely for profit, or even slightly so - Rowling is a billionaire and has no need for more money. I read in an interview how she has found it difficult to part with her characters - that it feels very similar to bereavement, which sounds hyperbolic but I think perfectly understandable - and so presumably these additional releases are a means for her to continue that which she had spent 17 years of her life doing. The play is, to my mind, essentially her excuse to have a sequel without admitting to an official sequel, which was a mistake. I don't think anyone would have blamed her for writing an official eighth book and indeed it would have been welcomed (and certainly would have received better reviews than the play, though perhaps worse than the previous seven, if only due to everyone feeling that Harry Potter was already done and dusted).
Reply 69
Garnered a perfect score in HP Quizup, got skills
Hey fellow Potterheads! So I'm sad to say I am a little late at joining the club as I've finally just started to read the books at age 24 :colondollar: I've seen all the movies when they first came out but I don't know why I never got around to reading the books when I was younger as I had read other popular series such as LOTR, Stephen King's work etc but anyhoo, better late than never! :yep:

I'm currently half way through Prisoner of Azkaban and so far, I'd say that is my favourite book though I am really looking forward to reading Half Blood Prince. I don't find it boring reading the books after the films, I'm enjoying it very much :smile:

So what are your favourite moments from the HP series? Who is your favourite characters? What scenes from the books do you wish made it into the films?

Feel free to add your Pottermore stats too if you fancy :yep:

My stats are -
House - Hufflepuff (I was very happy with the house I was allocated to :yep: )
Patronus - Tortoiseshell cat (a cat, surprise surprise for me :teehee: )
Wand - Ash wood with a Dragon heartstring core 9 and 3/4 inch and quite bendy flexibility

I think if I ever came across a Boggart, it would appear as a wasp and it would be bloody hard to try and make that look amusing! My favourite character so far is either Hagrid or Dumbledore.

Why have I JUST seen this??!! I've been obsessed with the books since like forever! I read all the 6 books in just under 2 months when I was 6, and watched the movies several times - at first I wasn't allowed to watch the later films though.

I REALLY want to go and see the Cursed Child for my 18th birthday but with the ticket price atm & queuing its nearly impossible :frown: maybe for my 21st when its calmed down a bit

Stats
House - Gryffinpuff - right I know this isn't a proper house but all the quizzes I take are a mix between Hufflepuff & Gryffindor.
Boggart - a ventriloquists dummy - specially the one from Night of the Living Dummy.
Favourite Character - I never really thought about it tbh - Ilike the twins, but can sort of relate to Neville, the trio were cool when I was younger
Funniest film scenes-
[video="youtube;V-GgWCBVhrg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-GgWCBVhrg[/video]

Favourite scenes that weren't made into the film (spoiler since I don't know if you're on GofF yet)

Spoiler

its good you're reading them though - my Mum's is on PodA too reading it for the first time & borrowing my HP books.

I must say though the Order of the Phoenix is kinda falling apart...
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 71
So sorry to hear that John Hurt has passed away :frown: he was a brilliant actor. To me, he'll always remembered for Alien and his brilliant cameo in Spaceballs :teehee: amongst many other great performances. He of course played Ollivander in the HP films as well :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 72
Original post by bizzy_penguin
Why have I JUST seen this??!! I've been obsessed with the books since like forever! I read all the 6 books in just under 2 months when I was 6, and watched the movies several times - at first I wasn't allowed to watch the later films though.

I REALLY want to go and see the Cursed Child for my 18th birthday but with the ticket price atm & queuing its nearly impossible :frown: maybe for my 21st when its calmed down a bit

Stats
House - Gryffinpuff - right I know this isn't a proper house but all the quizzes I take are a mix between Hufflepuff & Gryffindor.
Boggart - a ventriloquists dummy - specially the one from Night of the Living Dummy.
Favourite Character - I never really thought about it tbh - Ilike the twins, but can sort of relate to Neville, the trio were cool when I was younger
Funniest film scenes-
[video="youtube;V-GgWCBVhrg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-GgWCBVhrg[/video]

Favourite scenes that weren't made into the film (spoiler since I don't know if you're on GofF yet)

Spoiler

its good you're reading them though - my Mum's is on PodA too reading it for the first time & borrowing my HP books.

I must say though the Order of the Phoenix is kinda falling apart...

Awww that's sweet you're mum's reading the books too :smile: my mum is just about to start them since she's finished reading Orange Is The New Black :colondollar: I'm almost finished GoF. It's been such a struggle to read tbh. I just haven't enjoyed that book much tbh :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
So sorry to hear that John Hurt has passed away :frown: he was a brilliant actor. To me, he'll always remembered for Alien and his brilliant cameo in Spaceballs :teehee: amongst many other great performances. He of course played Ollivander in the HP films as well :frown:
Posted from TSR Mobile

ikr its sad :frown: he played the War Doctor in Doctor Who as well

Awww that's sweet you're mum's reading the books too :smile: my mum is just about to start them since she's finished reading Orange Is The New Black :colondollar: I'm almost finished GoF. It's been such a struggle to read tbh. I just haven't enjoyed that book much tbh :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

aw:smile: my dad said he was going to try the 1st one - he hasn't started reading it yet though... mind you I've only ever seen him reading engineering/plumbing books :laugh:

the 5th one's even bigger! :h:
have you tried the Harry Potter audiobooks btw?

they're pretty good, I listened someone reading it on youtube and even though you have to turn the sound up pretty high, its still good because you don't have to worry about the heavy book or whether the book is about to break (a significant problem with the hardback Order of the Phoenix)

I'm considering buying some of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_sc_1_22?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=harry+potter+audio+book&sprefix=harry+potter+audiobook%2Caps%2C158&crid=I8MRIMRAF1EL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXJdBim8I5E&list=PL95_V8pZbmMC8n_dWR-SqOeazqbXpsseB&index=7
House - Gryffindor!
Patronus - Calico Cat (I'm a huge cat lover so I was ecstatic when this was the result)
Original post by bizzy_penguin
have you tried the Harry Potter audiobooks btw?

I just haven't enjoyed that book much tbh :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

The audiobooks are a good idea - I think I have them saved on a memory stick somewhere. I could dig it out and see if it's possible to email? Never tried before, worth a go?
@Spock's Socks I uploaded one of the audiobooks to my google drive on the off chance you want it (took bloody ages!) - let me know if you do.
Reply 77
Original post by Snufkin
@Spock's Socks I uploaded one of the audiobooks to my google drive on the off chance you want it (took bloody ages!) - let me know if you do.

Yeah that would be great ta :smile: I'll mail you tomorrow when I'm on my laptop and we can arrange it from there . Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 78
@Snufkin I'm on my laptop now and should be for the rest of the day so just give me a mail when you can, thanks :smile:
@Snufkin I'm on my laptop now and should be for the rest of the day so just give me a mail when you can, thanks :smile:

since we're on the Harry Potter subject - I was thinking someone could take over the Harry Potter society? - its been quiet for about 2 years @Airmed
I'm still waiting to be accepted into it... :frown::smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending