The Student Room Group

4 or 3 A-levels

As somebody who wants to do Computer Science at Uni I am taking - Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics and economics. Although recently I have been thinking of not doing economics, as it is unrelated. However I have felt pressured to do four A-levels. Is it looked at as a positive thing from top universities to do four subjects at AS or does it make no difference whatsoever?
Reply 1
Usually, it makes no difference. I'd have a look at their entrance criteria, but when I applied (not for computer science), the universities would only count 3 A-levels. If this is the case, there's no point stretching your time and taking 4.
Reply 2
Original post by Jay Caz
As somebody who wants to do Computer Science at Uni I am taking - Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics and economics. Although recently I have been thinking of not doing economics, as it is unrelated. However I have felt pressured to do four A-levels. Is it looked at as a positive thing from top universities to do four subjects at AS or does it make no difference whatsoever?

It's not really favoured if you take 4 or 3. All universities only require 3 A-Levels but some people may do 4 because they enjoy their 4th subject. If your not that keen on taking a fourth don't do it because it doesn't make a difference and it could have an effect on the rest of your grades.
Original post by S2M
It's not really favoured if you take 4 or 3. All universities only require 3 A-Levels but some people may do 4 because they enjoy their 4th subject. If your not that keen on taking a fourth don't do it because it doesn't make a difference and it could have an effect on the rest of your grades.

I agree
Reply 4
Original post by Emma:-)
I agree

Thank you. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by S2M

Thank you, I wasn't taking Economics because I wanted to do economics at all. I just thought it looked good. Anyway, I'll most likely only do the three A-levels
Reply 6
Original post by Jay Caz
Thank you, I wasn't taking Economics because I wanted to do economics at all. I just thought it looked good. Anyway, I'll most likely only do the three A-levels

Don't do that. Only choose the 3 that will be required for the course that you would do in university. It doesn't make it look better in anyway if you chose Economics.

Quick Reply

Latest