The Student Room Group

Have you ever been ridiculed for your looks?

How do you respond to it when it happens?

Scroll to see replies

If someone insulted my looks, I would tell them that I had more important things to worry about, and that I felt sorry for them if that's the only thing in life that they think about.
My thinking is that you let this person know that you don't care what they think of you, and at the same time you can show that you don't think very highly of them (because most people who would ridicule someone's looks are probably quite mean and shallow anyway).
Reply 2
Yes, often. It doesn't happen too much mow that I'm older but when I was a kid and a teen it happened a lot. It was mainly for my teeth, hair and glasses. I used to act like it didn't bother me and I would ignore them but it would hurt and annoy me. If it happened now that I'm older, it's just tell whoever it was to **** off or laugh. I know now that those who ridicule those for something like how they look are usually a lot more insecure than the person they are ridiculing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did get called ugly occasionally when I was in my teens, was though tbf :lol: Blossomed later on though. One that sticks in my mind though that still makes me laugh was from a couple of years ago now, because I have a chin dimple. A young girl shouted across the street "Aha, bum chin!!!!....... He's really fit though." :rofl:
5'3 20 year old male, look 15-16 lmao. Only people who ridicule are my friends, which I really don't take personally lol. I'm sure University students do think about it though when they look at me. But deep down I think about it so much, walking around, looking at girls taller than me, thinking about how life will be for me in the future, just negative thoughts, how will I ever be able to get past it etc. Man I would kill to be 5'8, forget 6ft.
Reply 5
Yeah. I'm not that good looking anyway so it is understandable.

It's more of my height than anything else though :colonhash:
Alot. Mum, dad and aunts. So much fun when the comment on the way you look, what you wear and start pointing out all your insecurities :h:
id like to say i brush it all off and get on with it, which i kinda do. if someone were to insult my looks i would brush it off on the surface, you know be like "bleh bleh ur mum LOL" but then in private i would kinda be like, "maybe i am ugly, maybe he was on to something"

what i've started to do is be a bit more confident and just be comfortable with my looks. :dontknow:
It's funny how the guys that called me ugly in Year 7 now try to slide into my dms. :rofl:
Original post by Anonymous
How do you respond to it when it happens?

Yeah, I was ridiculed because of the ignorance of the others. Have responded rudely in an act of rage and anger.
Original post by saraxh
It's funny how the guys that called me ugly in Year 7 now try to slide into my dms. :rofl:

Started from the bottom now we here
alot and for a long time.If they expect me to give a reaction I don't.I literally just shrug and say "How does it effect you in any way?"
When I was in year 4/5 some girl in year 9/10 said "Wow that is one ugly kid" at me. She was just a nasty piece of work though and ended up trying to burn the school down, so I don't take it seriously.

One other time a girl said to me "hey you actually look good from this angle"...which sucked a bit

But then someone called me marriage material and it made up for all of it.
A lot when I was bullied younger but more recently, although this is more about fashion choices, some year 7's started randomly looking and pointing at my shoes and him, being cocky, says how much did they cost? so I just said I don't know, but respect doesn't cost as much. Shut them up good and proper. I can't deal with people mocking others for fashion/appearance. It's your choice
Original post by TheGoodPharaoh
Started from the bottom now we here

:rofl:Most people I use to know can't even recognize me because I look like a completely different person.
Original post by Mistletoe
When I was in year 4/5 some girl in year 9/10 said "Wow that is one ugly kid" at me. She was just a nasty piece of work though and ended up trying to burn the school down, so I don't take it seriously.

One other time a girl said to me "hey you actually look good from this angle"...which sucked a bit

But then someone called me marriage material and it made up for all of it.

oh :lolwut:
Reply 16
Yep, happened quite a lot.
Before I'd let it get to me. Now, I just smile and shrug because it points at their insecurities that they have to pick at my looks.
You can tell when it's done as banter or when it's done to bring you down.
With banter, it's give as good as you get.
Original post by saraxh
:rofl:Most people I use to know can't even recognize me because I look like a completely different person.

I don't think I look any different to when I was younger, only difference is facial hair:beard:
Original post by homeland.lsw
oh :lolwut:

Yeah it was a boarding school, her and her friends started playing with ouija boards and got in big trouble for it (surprised anyone cared tbh), her response was to try to set fire to some part of the school.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending