The Student Room Group

History or geography

Hey!I am struggling whether to choose history or geography. I want do both but at the same time, I know I can not choose them. In history, there is lots of coursework but geography there ins't, just exams. I am good at history and enjoy it but I am not that bad at geography and enjoy. I don't know what to do. I know this is a personal descion however,I would like some input.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by fahima1
Hey!I am struggling whether to choose history or geography. I want do both but at the same time, I know I can not choose them. In history, there is lots of coursework but geography there ins't, just exams. I am good at history and enjoy it but I am not that bad at geography and enjoy. I don't know what to do. I know this is a personal descion however,I would like some input.
p.s loveee this website

For GCSE or AS/A level??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by kaffeka
For GCSE or AS/A level??

Posted from TSR Mobile

For GCSE
It depends on which subject you think you will enjoy more. Look at the topics for each subject and see which ones interest you the most. Also have in mind a possible career, and if you have a job that you want, try to choose one that will help you on your way to that job.
If you wanna do Law in future or are considering it, do History. It's also useful for arts subjects in general. Geography is more of a social science, if you're interested in scientific processes and how they shape the world (Physical Geography) choose Geography. Geography also has less essay questions than History.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is it not an option for you to do both? I did.
i was in the same dilema as u i chose geography
and havent regreted it
Reply 7
I done both at GCSE, geography was a lot more fun for me. If you have any sort of career ideas or university courses in mind that would definitely help, Geography can be good as a social science or as a physical science (geology/earth science). History is a lot of work personally, lots of dates and names to remember but if you're looking to do history, law, politics etc. it would probably make more sense to go with that.
Tbh, my friend is doing history and she loves it.
Reply 9
Original post by fahima1
For GCSE

Ahh I did both and loved them. I can answer any questions you may have about both courses 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
I picked history...tbh it depends on the topics u are going to cover in each one and then see which one you like best

Good Luck
I take history and the coursework wasn't that bad. Obviously it might be different for you on another exam board/ with new GCSEs (?) but I don't think it's terrible compared to coursework for some other subjects. Ultimately it doesn't really matter, just take what you enjoy more. Even though geography is a humanity it is more scientific than history so if you are thinking of going down that route in the future maybe pick that. On the other hand if you prefer more essay based subjects maybe do history. They are both pretty content heavy, history maybe slightly more.

Posted from TSR Mobile
do geography because the history new spec is long and boring with no course work to help you if u flop your exam so choose geography
Reply 13
Hi :smile: I'm doing both history and geography (but for igcse). Both are useful subjects.
To be honest, I chose geography right from the very beginning because I found it super easy to ace it. I do regret it a bit afterwards because the syllabus is a bit shallow. You get to learn about population, settlements, physical geography and industry. Geography in gcse level is really easy, to be honest. I guess it can be fun, but this depends on how your teacher teaches it. The syllabus and exam is straightforward and not in depth, but in lessons, you might get to debate about current issues and look at them in depth. You get to know what's going on around the world and remember some of the case studies.

For history, if you like analysing sources or would like to learn how to do so, this would be a good subject (or a good complement of English Literature). The syllabus is denser than geography and, for me, I think there's much more to memorise in history compared to geog. Do it if you are good at writing essays and memorising dates (expressing your arguments clearly and DATES are very important). You might get to watch documentaries and historical movies in lessons. Reading external materials might also help. It can be fun (I found Nazi Germany most interesting).

Comparing the two subjects, if you want to learn more about what's going on in the world, go for geography. But, if you want to improve your writing and analysing skills, go for history. Good luck! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Quite a subjective question, everyone has there own opinion: but I chose History as I find it so much more interesting but hey, it's what you find more enjoyable.

Quick Reply

Latest