The Student Room Group

Say no to Donald Trump's state visit to Britain

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jneill
I'm not aware of many Guardian editorials that lead to a debate in parliament.

No, good point.

Win the VOTE in parliament and maybe we can think about the petition being of greater material consequence than a Grauniad editorial though, right?
Original post by mathemagicien
at least the petition isn't begging you to donate to continue its awful 'journalism' though :tongue:

prsom. :smile:
Original post by astutehirstute
No, good point.

Win the VOTE in parliament and maybe we can think about the petition being of greater material consequence than a Grauniad editorial though, right?

There won't be a vote. Debates don't have to have a vote.
Original post by jneill
There won't be a vote. Debates don't have to have a vote.

It gets discussed in Parliament, he has his State Visit.

Can you tell me what difference this makes?

Any more than it makes any difference if the Guardian says he shouldn't get hosted by the Queen?
It gets discussed in Parliament, he has his State Visit.

Can you tell me what difference this makes?

Any more than it makes any difference if the Guardian says he shouldn't get hosted by the Queen?

The Guardian readership is somewhat less than 1.75 million.
The petition has had national TV & radio news coverage.

Things don't need to make an immediate difference but at least the voices are heard. Or would you rather people who object (or support) things just kept quiet?

That's not how politics works.
Original post by jneill
The Guardian readership is somewhat less than 1.75 million.
The petition has had national TV & radio news coverage.

Things don't need to make an immediate difference but at least the voices are heard. Or would you rather people who object (or support) things just kept quiet?

That's not how politics works.

We hear your voices. It is hard not to. :smile:

But until you can can form an electoral coalition to actually wield power that is all it is. Voice, petitions, Guardian leader columns. Pitiful, pointless, placards.

Produce some polices that command support, because, frankly, a lot of people are disgusted with you. They completely despise you liberals. They don't march on the streets, but they vote.

Produce some polices that command support, because, frankly, a lot of people are disgusted with you. They completely despise you liberals. They don't march on the streets, but they vote.

And thanks to the power of technology, we know just how many of each. The people not disgusted with him - 1,741,000 - the people disgusted - 173,600.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
And thanks to the power of technology, we know just how many of each. The people not disgusted with him - 1,741,000 - the people disgusted - 173,600.

I am looking at the USA and I see Trump as Prez and a Republican majority in both Houses of Congress..

I am looking at the UK and I see a Tory majority in the Commons and a Brexit about to happen.

I am looking at the Netherlands and I see Gert Wilders about to become PM of the country.

Tell me, how many people signed your paltry little petition again? Less than two million? Who cares? It could be ten million for all the good it does you.
More hypocrisy from the SJW types.

17.5 million vote to leave the EU..........Ignore the ****ers.

1.5 million sign a petition...........listen to me,listen to me!

Honestly, it's as if the left was designed to entertain normal people.
The Queen was not elected, what right does she have to be granted an audience with President Trump?

Trump is going to be bored out of his mind when they take him to the Palace and have all those royal officials telling him he has to bow and say "Ma'am" and all the monarchy bollox.

Even worse now we hear Prince Charles wants to meet him to talk about "interfaith issues" and "climate change".

Best thing for Trump is if he can sneak off for a beer with Prince Phillip as the two of them would have some good bants.
If an SJW has a barrel of apples which consists of good and bad apples in equal portions would he simply take that barrel as it came or would he sift out the bad apples from the good ones :colone:
It's amusing that the rival petition now has 126,000 signatures, compared to the no state visit petition, which currently has 1,693,000 signatures.

I can't believe people are still keeping track of the figures, despite the fact Downing Street confirmed the visit will go ahead as planned. If you're a keen supporter of the "no state visit petition", then instead of rushing to sign I encourage you to think very carefully about the potential consequences this would have on the USA, and not just our country. You would be insulting and disrespecting their head of state. Relations between our countries would likely suffer, and any future trade deal would certainly be off the cards. Then what would become of post-Brexit UK?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
The spurious votes where deleted from the Ref2 poll so the final total is largely correct. I imagine the parliamentary committee in charge of petitions has been keeping a rather close eye on this one.

There's no evidence yet of any significant problems with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

And how long did it take for the duplication to come to light and be acted upon? Was certainly several days before the reports were widespread and several more before the Vatican stopped having tens of thousands of signatories. Oh, and if you want evidence of duplication it's that I've seen the signatory total 5-10% higher than it currently is, which suggests maybe a couple of hundred thousand names were wiped off the list.

It's actually quite noteworthy in this petition how much support for it there is spread across a wide swathe of home county areas - clearly many southern middle class and white people are supporting it.

It's quite noteworthy how London centric it is. This "wide swathe of support" is only 2% give or take compared to pushing 10 in parts of London, Bristol, Brighton and the likes.

It's also noteworthy that as much as we have 2m people having another cry there is not the popular support for it:

Donald Trump's state visit to the United Kingdom should...
Go ahead: 49%
Be cancelled: 36%
(via YouGov)
https://t.co/8H4foRGcBP

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending