The Student Room Group

If I have a driving license but don't have a car, will my insurance go down over time

Long story short:
- passed my test
- got a car
- car got written off
- not had a car since

Even though I'm not driving so I'm not getting any No Claims Discount, I'm having the license longer, so is my insurance quote going to go down? Or is it just going to stay the same for however many years until I get a car? If I got a car next month, would it make any difference than if I was to get a car in 2 years time?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FightToWin
Long story short:
- passed my test
- got a car
- car got written off
- not had a car since

Even though I'm not driving so I'm not getting any No Claims Discount, I'm having the license longer, so is my insurance quote going to go down? Or is it just going to stay the same for however many years until I get a car? If I got a car next month, would it make any difference than if I was to get a car in 2 years time?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

The length of time you've held a full licence isn't going to make much difference, given your chronology above!
It will carry on going down overtime irrespective of the no claims. No claims just sweetens the deal!

25 is the big clinch point where it starts to get properly cheaper.
Reply 3
It does make a difference, but you hit milestones where you'll notice a big drop. You'll still have zero no claims, which won't help much.
Reply 4
Long story short:
- passed my test
- got a car
- car got written off
- not had a car since

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe 5+ years after the write-off... not much, if at all, before then.
When I got my car I had held my licence for two years without driving and my insurance was £800 for three people business insurance so it CAN go down..however as your car was written off i'd say probably not..
Do you have any car insurance? If not, it's not going to go down because of 'no claims', merely your age and the way that your answer to the question 'any claims in the past x years?' will eventually change.

If you do, why?
Reply 7
Original post by unprinted
Do you have any car insurance? If not, it's not going to go down because of 'no claims', merely your age and the way that your answer to the question 'any claims in the past x years?' will eventually change.

If you do, why?

No, I paid the insurance company off after the accident. I'm just debating whether or not I should get my next car now and just pay whatever the insurance will be or leaving it until after x amount of time has passed and the insurance is cheaper, but if it hasn't gone down much after X amount of time then I might as well just get the car now.. I drive around an airport as part of my job but I don't think that's going to affect it either

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
No, I paid the insurance company off after the accident. I'm just debating whether or not I should get my next car now and just pay whatever the insurance will be or leaving it until after x amount of time has passed and the insurance is cheaper, but if it hasn't gone down much after X amount of time then I might as well just get the car now.. I drive around an airport as part of my job but I don't think that's going to affect it either

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you need a car and can afford the insurance then... whatever. Get a quote and see what it is. Only you can decide if it's worth it.

Although I suspect the accumulating NCD* will give more savings in subsequent years than the time delay.

*Assuming you don't write this one off too :wink:
Reply 9
Original post by jneill
If you need a car and can afford the insurance then... whatever. Get a quote and see what it is. Only you can decide if it's worth it.

Although I suspect the accumulating NCD* will give more savings in subsequent years than the time delay.

I thought you needed to have an actual policy taken out to get No Claims Discount.. I could be a complete idiot tho

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
I thought you needed to have an actual policy taken out to get No Claims Discount...

Posted from TSR Mobile

You do. You build up the NCD on your policy. No policy, no NCD.

My point is you seem to think you need a car. Find out how much a policy will cost now, and if it's affordable there you go. From then on it should get a bit cheaper each year because the NCD will start to kick in.
Find an almost worthless car, and have comprehensive cover for an extremely low mileage or only driving during the day - consider the policies that track your driving - and, ideally, live somewhere that's not a city with the car parked on a drive rather than on the street. The premiums should be reasonable and you'll build up a history of not claiming.
Reply 12
Original post by unprinted
Find an almost worthless car, and have comprehensive cover for an extremely low mileage or only driving during the day - consider the policies that track your driving - and, ideally, live somewhere that's not a city with the car parked on a drive rather than on the street. The premiums should be reasonable and you'll build up a history of not claiming.

You will find that it's cheaper to insure a "reasonably" priced car than a "worthless" one. Insurers know that people look after things that have cost them more money.

Edit: and by "look after" I mean not driving it into some other car. The major cost for insurers is third party, not repairing your vehicle. If yours is "worthless" its likely to be written off anyway at little cost to the insurer.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill

I agree

Posted from TSR Mobile

the claim may well impact on the quotes you recieve for the next 5 years

unless you are about to turn 21 / 25/ 30 ...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending