The Student Room Group

Law taster days and summer schools for year 11-12

Hi,
Are there any law taster days or summer schools in Manchester , London or Oxbridge ?
Original post by Polzovatel
Hi,
Are there any law taster days or summer schools in Manchester , London or Oxbridge ?

London:
Perhaps search up Debate Chamber law summer courses. I attended two of them in 2016 summer (it's around UCL's campus) Those were absolutely amazing.
DON'T go for the INVESTIN 'taster days'- went for one, was really unhelpful and super expensive.I don't know any 'official' taster days, however..

Oxbridge:
I think there are subject open days for Oxbridge around June/ late May, but you have to book those, so keep an eye on the uni's social media/ emails from your uni counsellor at school. I went for the Cambridge law open day.There's a really helpful Cambridge law conference at around April, but deadlines (I think) are around Dec so it might be too late for that... And taster days for Cambridge in Feb, but I think the deadline's also passed.. :frown:

Unsure about Manchester since I didn't apply. I currently have offers from Warwick, LSE and Cambridge (Downing). Happy to help out if you're feeling nervous :wink:
(edited 7 years ago)
Hey, you said you attended the debate chamber summer school, probably a stupid question - but in the sessions, do they force you to speak/participate or is it more of a kind of thing where you have to put yourself forward? I'm going one tommorow and I'm so nervous! :frown:
Original post by Titania_Fleuret_
London:
Perhaps search up Debate Chamber law summer courses. I attended two of them in 2016 summer (it's around UCL's campus) Those were absolutely amazing.
DON'T go for the INVESTIN 'taster days'- went for one, was really unhelpful and super expensive.I don't know any 'official' taster days, however..

Oxbridge:
I think there are subject open days for Oxbridge around June/ late May, but you have to book those, so keep an eye on the uni's social media/ emails from your uni counsellor at school. I went for the Cambridge law open day.There's a really helpful Cambridge law conference at around April, but deadlines (I think) are around Dec so it might be too late for that... And taster days for Cambridge in Feb, but I think the deadline's also passed.. :frown:

Unsure about Manchester since I didn't apply. I currently have offers from Warwick, LSE and Cambridge (Downing). Happy to help out if you're feeling nervous :wink:

Hey, you said you attended the debate chamber summer school, probably a stupid question - but in the sessions, do they force you to speak/participate or is it more of a kind of thing where you have to put yourself forward? I'm going one tommorow and I'm so nervous!
Original post by naomi2121
Hey, you said you attended the debate chamber summer school, probably a stupid question - but in the sessions, do they force you to speak/participate or is it more of a kind of thing where you have to put yourself forward? I'm going one tommorow and I'm so nervous! :frown:

Hi! I also attended the Debate Chamber Summer School, a few weeks ago actually. It was amazing! Which part are you going for? No, the teachers are all lovely and no one is forced to speak - it's more of putting yourself forward. For example, there are a few debates and you can choose to nominate yourself as speaker and questions that teachers ask are always open to the class. Don't worry, it's a great experience and I met lots of friends! If you have anymore questions don't be afraid to ask :smile:
Original post by student27839
Hi! I also attended the Debate Chamber Summer School, a few weeks ago actually. It was amazing! Which part are you going for? No, the teachers are all lovely and no one is forced to speak - it's more of putting yourself forward. For example, there are a few debates and you can choose to nominate yourself as speaker and questions that teachers ask are always open to the class. Don't worry, it's a great experience and I met lots of friends! If you have anymore questions don't be afraid to ask :smile:

Thank you so much for replying - you've calmed me down so much😂 I'm doing the philosophy summer school which starts tommorow, which one did you do? 😊
Original post by naomi2121
Thank you so much for replying - you've calmed me down so much😂 I'm doing the philosophy summer school which starts tommorow, which one did you do? 😊

No problem, I was exactly the same before I went on it! I did the law school there and I loved it! Hope your first day went well! :smile:
Original post by student27839

How could you afford £500 for 5 days?! :frown:
Reply 8
Original post by H.franc2701
How could you afford £500 for 5 days?! :frown:

Realise this is agessss ago but you can apply for a bursary to cover anywhere from 10 to 50%!
Hi, I know this thread is old but if anyone who did the law one could share their experience that would be great!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending