The Student Room Group

Level 2 Further Maths Resources?

Do you guys know any good Level 2 Further Maths resources (specifically AQA). I've been using Mr Barton maths but could do with a few more sites, thanks in advance!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Retsek
Do you guys know any good Level 2 Further Maths resources (specifically AQA). I've been using Mr Barton maths but could do with a few more sites, thanks in advance!

Use mr barton past papers
Also you can use some questions are a level core 1 paper( mpc1) to practice.
Reply 2
Original post by fleky6910
Use mr barton past papers
Also you can use some questions are a level core 1 paper( mpc1) to practice.

Oh cool, I've done some of core, which topics are in C1 but not Further maths? (So I don't worry myself about them)
Original post by Retsek
Oh cool, I've done some of core, which topics are in C1 but not Further maths? (So I don't worry myself about them)

Don't know on the top of my head.
Integration isn't.
Look at the further maths specification and if u come across a question that isn't on spec then skip it!
Also my maths is helpful
Original post by Retsek

Integration's about it tbh. It's more the other way round - there are loads of stuff in FM not in Core 1.

As for resources, CGP have a revision guide and a workbook out for it if you want to spend the money, other than that just do past papers and keep using mr barton :smile:
Reply 5
Don't know on the top of my head.
Integration isn't.
Look at the further maths specification and if u come across a question that isn't on spec then skip it!
Also my maths is helpful

Does my maths have a further maths section? I haven't used it since year 9 hahaha
Original post by Retsek
Does my maths have a further maths section? I haven't used it since year 9 hahaha

Use the relevant topics from core 1/ core 2
Reply 7
Use the relevant topics from core 1/ core 2

I get you now man, cheers
Original post by NiamhM1801
Integration's about it tbh. It's more the other way round - there are loads of stuff in FM not in Core 1.

As for resources, CGP have a revision guide and a workbook out for it if you want to spend the money, other than that just do past papers and keep using mr barton :smile:

Is core 2 any use??
Is core 2 any use??

Sine and cosine rules, other trig stuff including identities are common in both but little else from Core 2 really.

L2 FM has been around for a while, there are a fair few past papers knocking about for it. But if you were to branch out I'd go for Core 1 over 2 papers.

FM has stuff such as matrices which aren't in either, and other topics that just don't seem to fit with the rest.
Sine and cosine rules, other trig stuff including identities are common in both but little else from Core 2 really.

L2 FM has been around for a while, there are a fair few past papers knocking about for it. But if you were to branch out I'd go for Core 1 over 2 papers.

FM has stuff such as matrices which aren't in either, and other topics that just don't seem to fit with the rest.

Thanks!
Thanks!

No worries! I did FM last year and got an A* (only 4 marks off the A^ :cry:) so if you have any more questions feel free to ask :smile:
Reply 12

I guess the course is supposed to be a very basic introduction to new ideas - such as matrices which have never been seen usually by any GCSE student. It's a nice little course and I think much more interesting than the normal GCSE - very boring.
Original post by B_9710
I guess the course is supposed to be a very basic introduction to new ideas - such as matrices which have never been seen usually by any GCSE student. It's a nice little course and I think much more interesting than the normal GCSE - very boring.

Yeah I definitely agree with you there, it's supposed to also sort of bridge the gap between GCSE and AS (as the old GCSE was far too easy in my opinion and is why many high-achieving students struggle with AS at first) which has definitely proven true in my year group. A lot of the 3D shape stuff was new as well, a lot of it was brand new which certainly livened things up a bit on the maths front. I really enjoyed FM, think it's a pretty cool qualification to get :smile:
No worries! I did FM last year and got an A* (only 4 marks off the A^ :cry:) so if you have any more questions feel free to ask :smile:

Is A level a big step up from further maths GCSE?
Also some general questions about GCSE's
Did you improve from your mocks( did u do better in real thing)
When did u start revision and how much did u do?
Also how was the pressure during the exams?
I have 30+ papers:s-smilie:. (12 gcse's)
Is A level a big step up from further maths GCSE?
Also some general questions about GCSE's
Did you improve from your mocks( did u do better in real thing)
When did u start revision and how much did u do?
Also how was the pressure during the exams?
I have 30+ papers:s-smilie:. (12 gcse's)

- No. That's the best thing about FM GCSE, it bridges the gap really nicely.
- I got 3 A*s, 5As, 2Bs and a C/D in Year 11 mocks and then 7 A*s, 1A, 2Bs and a D in the real thing, so yes in most things.
- I approached my GCSEs in completely the wrong way, I started revising after Easter and a lot of what I did was last-minute cramming. Don't do this, you'll only get incredibly stressed like I did. I would recommend starting between February half term and the Easter holidays and just doing a couple of hours a day. You don't need to be doing as much as you think, trust me :lol:
- I personally set myself very high expectations so there was a fair bit of pressure. I was nervous before my first exam but when I got in there it felt just like a mock. I think you'll be okay if you pace yourself well with revision and try not to get too stressed over them.
- Wow, that's tons! I had 23 papers for 11 GCSEs and I thought that was a lot. Have you got days where you have multiple exams? They're the worst so you need to be prepared for them (one reason why I missed the A^ in FM was because the second paper was my last exam and it was straight after physics so my brain was fried :colondollar: be wary of this!)

In all honesty though, GCSEs aren't as bad as you think. As long as you do some revision and preparation I'm sure you'll be fine :yep:
Reply 16
Original post by Retsek

I really recommend the CGP Exam Practice Workbook. If you've done all the past papers and AQA worksheets then there aren't too many other resources specific to this course. But the CGP book has loads of exam style questions.
- No. That's the best thing about FM GCSE, it bridges the gap really nicely.
- I got 3 A*s, 5As, 2Bs and a C/D in Year 11 mocks and then 7 A*s, 1A, 2Bs and a D in the real thing, so yes in most things.
- I approached my GCSEs in completely the wrong way, I started revising after Easter and a lot of what I did was last-minute cramming. Don't do this, you'll only get incredibly stressed like I did. I would recommend starting between February half term and the Easter holidays and just doing a couple of hours a day. You don't need to be doing as much as you think, trust me :lol:
- I personally set myself very high expectations so there was a fair bit of pressure. I was nervous before my first exam but when I got in there it felt just like a mock. I think you'll be okay if you pace yourself well with revision and try not to get too stressed over them.
- Wow, that's tons! I had 23 papers for 11 GCSEs and I thought that was a lot. Have you got days where you have multiple exams? They're the worst so you need to be prepared for them (one reason why I missed the A^ in FM was because the second paper was my last exam and it was straight after physics so my brain was fried :colondollar: be wary of this!)

In all honesty though, GCSEs aren't as bad as you think. As long as you do some revision and preparation I'm sure you'll be fine :yep:

Thanks, I've started revising now!

I only have two exams on a few days but mostly one a day.

Are A-levels much harder??:smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 18
Thanks, I've started revising now!

I only have two exams on a few days but mostly one a day.

Are A-levels much harder??:smile:

The level certainly goes up.
Original post by Retsek

Has your teacher given you the resources from the AQA teacher website? There are some good topic worksheets. I can't link to them as you need a password.

Personally I'm not a fan of the course as it includes a fairly 'random' set of topics.

Quick Reply

Latest