The Student Room Group

Are these subjects too 'soft' for top unis?

Hi,
I'm currently doing my GCSEs and I'm going into sixth form in September, and so I need to pick my A Level options. I want to do English Lit, Biology, Chemistry, and Government and Politics, but I'm worried that top universities will think they're too weak? I'm planning on applying to Harvard, Cambridge, Oxford, etc. so I can study law/medicine.
(My grades aren't amazing but I'm at a grammar school so I'm hoping that I can really pull them up in the next few months, so I'm just worried about subject choices right now)
(edited 7 years ago)
lool you just wanted to make a thread didn't you?
They're really broad choices, and as long as you are happy with them:smile:
If you're applying to cambridge for medicine though, you need chem&bio plus either maths/physics
I think it would be a smart choice to make now (although you've still got plenty of time to choose) but medicine and law are two different fields to go into, and may require different subjects
Reply 3
Is this the classic TSR thread......

These subjects can not be called soft in this world.
heads up you can only apply to either oxford or cambridge not both
Ummmmmm no...................

Take it from someone who currently studies Travel and Tourism:rolleyes:
Original post by montpercy
Hi,
I'm currently doing my GCSEs and I'm going into sixth form in September, and so I need to pick my A Level options. I want to do English Lit, Biology, Chemistry, and Government and Politics, but I'm worried that top universities will think they're too weak? I'm planning on applying to Harvard, Cambridge, Oxford, etc. so I can study law/medicine.
(My grades aren't amazing but I'm at a grammar school so I'm hoping that I can really pull them up in the next few months, so I'm just worried about subject choices right now)

Those subjects are fine (although taking mathematics and two sciences would be advisable if you are serious about applying for medicine at Oxford or Cambridge).

Medicine and law are graduate degrees in America, that means you need to have done a degree before you can even apply - so Harvard isn't going to happen, I'm afraid.
For Harvard, med/law is only post-grad
Reply 8
They're not soft.
For med you need to do bio AND chem anyways
trust me whatever you wanna do now it can change once you get your AS level results (no pressure) but
Hi,

Drop government and politics and do maths instead. It'll increase your chance of being accepted for medicine.
Original post by YoloBaggins00
Drop government and politics and do maths instead. It'll increase your chance of being accepted for medicine.

I second this; you almost definitely need maths if you aim to go to Oxbridge etc.

Banana :h::h:
Hi,

Hi,

I’m currently at the University of Derby in my first year, but I also went to a grammar school and had a lot of friends being told the exact same thing.

However, despite what our school told us, when my friends contacted universities directly, they said that there is really no need to worry about it. My friend wanted to study History at Oxford and our teachers were trying to convince her to choose English lit over business and economics (despite her enjoying more and getting better grades in business and economics).

I’d recommend emailing the universities you’re looking at directly as there is a lot of misleading advice out there so it’s best to ask them directly.

Hope this helps and let me now if you have any other questions,

Molly

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending