The Student Room Group
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth

2:1 worries

Skip to the end for the main question but read it all cos all help is needed!!!

Ok guys basically I am super stressed. During first year I messed up so bad and had retakes which I did last minute and everything and somehow managed to pass and get into second year.
Now in second year I have fallen behind again. My course is basically mostly assignments but I have so many of them. One of the units I have completed and managed to get a 2.2 overall. But even that was because of the group presentation which we got 69% in. For the essay I got 41% which is awful. I have to admit I did not fully understand the question, my referencing was so awful and I did it the night before which is bad. Now I had another essay which the same thing happened I don't yet know the results. Another report I had to do I didnt complete it on time so its capped at 40%.
So three assignments I seemed to have ****ed up really badly in. I have around 13 assignments altogether.

My second year is equal to 40% of the overall grade.

Thankfully I still have time to correct myself I think. I just need advice on how to do this and how to concentrate be motivated. And want to know if there were any other people in similar circumstances with good results at the end.

I have worked out if i work really hard and get like 75% in one my reports and the other essays like 65% I can get a 2:1 overall for second year.
I'm worried that because I have never done a good piece of work, over like 56% I won't be able to do this.

My sister who does engineering gets like 75% all the time.

Is this possible for me who has not properly worked? I am willing to work really hard now and my sister said work around 10hours a day till summer which is 4 months away.

If i get a 2.2 this year with lets say a 55% average how much would I have to get in second year in order to get a 2:1 overall?

second year is worth 40% and third year is 60%

Thanks for any help I know its long!
;(

Also if i give predictions for 5 units what percentage will i get overall?
52%
65%
61%
65%
52%

for those five units lets say thats the result what is the overall percentage?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by uop97

Just do it!
Like really, get down to it now. It's now or never.

It's not like you're going to drop out of uni before the end of this year, so do your best, a bit now, a bit after the first bit and assess your situation at the end of the year. If you have any mathematical component of your course then make sure you brush up on averages, because it's not exactly difficult to work out overall grades - you just need to know the weightings for all your modules/assignments.

So go on, get your next coursework out of the way now. If you don't have any assessed coursework, do the unassessed coursework. If you don't have, then prepare for it by doing your pre-lecture work for example.
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth
Reply 2
Original post by RVNmax
Just do it!
Like really, get down to it now. It's now or never.

It's not like you're going to drop out of uni before the end of this year, so do your best, a bit now, a bit after the first bit and assess your situation at the end of the year. If you have any mathematical component of your course then make sure you brush up on averages, because it's not exactly difficult to work out overall grades - you just need to know the weightings for all your modules/assignments.

So go on, get your next coursework out of the way now. If you don't have any assessed coursework, do the unassessed coursework. If you don't have, then prepare for it by doing your pre-lecture work for example.

Thanks
Yeh thankfully I dont have maths involved in my course at all but I did work out all the averages right after I posted it. Im just really panicked. Is it possible to get like 70% on a piece of work when so far the highest I have gotten is like 56% but those pieces I literally done two days before
Original post by uop97
Skip to the end for the main question but read it all cos all help is needed!!!

Ok guys basically I am super stressed. During first year I messed up so bad and had retakes which I did last minute and everything and somehow managed to pass and get into second year.
Now in second year I have fallen behind again. My course is basically mostly assignments but I have so many of them. One of the units I have completed and managed to get a 2.2 overall. But even that was because of the group presentation which we got 69% in. For the essay I got 41% which is awful. I have to admit I did not fully understand the question, my referencing was so awful and I did it the night before which is bad. Now I had another essay which the same thing happened I don't yet know the results. Another report I had to do I didnt complete it on time so its capped at 40%.
So three assignments I seemed to have ****ed up really badly in. I have around 13 assignments altogether.

My second year is equal to 40% of the overall grade.

Thankfully I still have time to correct myself I think. I just need advice on how to do this and how to concentrate be motivated. And want to know if there were any other people in similar circumstances with good results at the end.

I have worked out if i work really hard and get like 75% in one my reports and the other essays like 65% I can get a 2:1 overall for second year.
I'm worried that because I have never done a good piece of work, over like 56% I won't be able to do this.

My sister who does engineering gets like 75% all the time.

Is this possible for me who has not properly worked? I am willing to work really hard now and my sister said work around 10hours a day till summer which is 4 months away.

If i get a 2.2 this year with lets say a 55% average how much would I have to get in second year in order to get a 2:1 overall?

second year is worth 40% and third year is 60%

Thanks for any help I know its long!
;(

Also if i give predictions for 5 units what percentage will i get overall?
52%
65%
61%
65%
52%

for those five units lets say thats the result what is the overall percentage?

It sounds like you just need to be MUCH more on top of your assignments. I would start by writing down on a piece of paper all the deadlines and pinning it onto your notice board. Write next to each one how long it should take, then double this number and allocate that length of time for it. Make a timetable and allocate each day, starting tomorrow, what to do - e.g.
Wednesday
9:00-10:00 Lecture
10:00-10:15 cycling home
10:15-12:00 coursework #1 researching topic for main ideas and finding key sources
12:00-12:30 Lunch
12:30-14:00 coursework #1 essay plan and drafting layout in Word
14:00 - 14:30 afternoon break
14:30 - 16:00 coursework #1 paragraph on ... topic
16:00 - 18:00 coursework #2 background research on main topic concepts
18:00 - 19:00 Dinner

etc.

Basically, try and work out exactly how much time is required for each piece of coursework, break each coursework into smaller tasks, and timetable those into your schedule :smile: Then just pin the schedule on your noticeboard and STICK TO IT. If you're someone who gets easily distracted I'd highly recommend working in the library - if you've got lectures or something anyway in the morning, just stay in your department library rather than going back home where you might get distracted :smile:

You also mentioned that you were struggling with referencing - I just use the automatic referencing feature of Word, or there are also several referencing softwares you can look into if you have to use a particularly odd style. It makes it SO much easier to keep track of references while you're still working on your coursework, and if your department requires you to write them out separately or in a special format you can just copy and past from the automatic references into a separate word doc at the end and reformat them as required :smile:

If you're struggling with understanding the question, perhaps it's a good idea to talk to your lecturers/ other students/ academic advisor for some help?
First year, like most universities, shouldn't mean a think to your final grade. It is a way for everyone to get on the same page academically.

Second year is a time for you to take what you learn in your first year and apply it now you are putting points on the scoreboard.

Third year, hardest year, is the crunch time but you don't need to worry about that yet.

Your concern now is learning from your mistakes, seeing where you're going wrong and reflect/develop how to go from there. That is first year is for THAT is what Uni is for, to learn and develop.

Don't sweat it.

Be careful with schedules, they can put pressure on you.
Mathematically if you get 55% this year, you'll need 63.3% in your third year to get a 2:1 overall.
Reply 6
Original post by dragonkeeper999
It sounds like you just need to be MUCH more on top of your assignments. I would start by writing down on a piece of paper all the deadlines and pinning it onto your notice board. Write next to each one how long it should take, then double this number and allocate that length of time for it. Make a timetable and allocate each day, starting tomorrow, what to do - e.g.
Wednesday
9:00-10:00 Lecture
10:00-10:15 cycling home
10:15-12:00 coursework #1 researching topic for main ideas and finding key sources
12:00-12:30 Lunch
12:30-14:00 coursework #1 essay plan and drafting layout in Word
14:00 - 14:30 afternoon break
14:30 - 16:00 coursework #1 paragraph on ... topic
16:00 - 18:00 coursework #2 background research on main topic concepts
18:00 - 19:00 Dinner

etc.

Basically, try and work out exactly how much time is required for each piece of coursework, break each coursework into smaller tasks, and timetable those into your schedule :smile: Then just pin the schedule on your noticeboard and STICK TO IT. If you're someone who gets easily distracted I'd highly recommend working in the library - if you've got lectures or something anyway in the morning, just stay in your department library rather than going back home where you might get distracted :smile:

You also mentioned that you were struggling with referencing - I just use the automatic referencing feature of Word, or there are also several referencing softwares you can look into if you have to use a particularly odd style. It makes it SO much easier to keep track of references while you're still working on your coursework, and if your department requires you to write them out separately or in a special format you can just copy and past from the automatic references into a separate word doc at the end and reformat them as required :smile:

If you're struggling with understanding the question, perhaps it's a good idea to talk to your lecturers/ other students/ academic advisor for some help?

Thank you!!
Yes, I really need to just get organised. Even then I do struggle to stick to it and get distracted by the internet so much.
My course is really strict on referencing and I used of those referencing pages but they were adamant on me not using them.

Do you think it's still possible however for me to achieve 70% on pieces of work when so far I have been getting 40% with last minute work?
Reply 7
Original post by FailedTeacher
First year, like most universities, shouldn't mean a think to your final grade. It is a way for everyone to get on the same page academically.

Second year is a time for you to take what you learn in your first year and apply it now you are putting points on the scoreboard.

Third year, hardest year, is the crunch time but you don't need to worry about that yet.

Your concern now is learning from your mistakes, seeing where you're going wrong and reflect/develop how to go from there. That is first year is for THAT is what Uni is for, to learn and develop.

Don't sweat it.

Be careful with schedules, they can put pressure on you.

Yes I'm really just panicking about third year. Its only dawned on me properly about how hard I have to work at university for my future. Any one know what grades people usually get in third year?
Reply 8
Original post by Sarah1778
Mathematically if you get 55% this year, you'll need 63.3% in your third year to get a 2:1 overall.

Thank you!!!
I did work out I need around 65% in my final year if I get 55% this year. Hopefully with hard work from now its possible.
Original post by uop97
Yes I'm really just panicking about third year. Its only dawned on me properly about how hard I have to work at university for my future. Any one know what grades people usually get in third year?

That's far too subjective to answer.

A lot of people bring their best now they're in final year! Effects of pressure and the end of the tunnel
Original post by uop97
Thank you!!
Yes, I really need to just get organised. Even then I do struggle to stick to it and get distracted by the internet so much.
My course is really strict on referencing and I used of those referencing pages but they were adamant on me not using them.

Do you think it's still possible however for me to achieve 70% on pieces of work when so far I have been getting 40% with last minute work?

If you get your act together, then it's definitely possible to massively improve your grades. If you could go from a third to a first overnight though... who knows, you can always give it a try :smile:

If you're getting distracted by the internet so easily perhaps try installing blocker add-ons for your web-browser (these block e.g. Facebook, TSR, etc. for set periods of time) or turning off notifications/ leaving your phone in your room while you study in the library :smile:

Also, it sounds like some of those 40% might be due to you handing in your work past the deadline? Just keeping on top of things a bit better would obviously help a lot!

Perhaps ask your uni for more detailed feedback on where exactly you are going wrong with the referencing then (email your lecturer/ marker or literally just knock on their door and ask for advice) - sometimes they can be super picky on the most stupid things with references, like whether to put in commas or full stops, capital letters or not, shortened or full names, etc. so ridiculous...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending