The Student Room Group

UKMT Maths Challenge

I was wondering if not being good at the Maths Challenge (e.g. Intermediate or Senior) means I'm probably not good enough to get into Cambridge to study Maths?
This is because I generally get full marks in all my tests and if I get over 95 UMS in all modules, do well in STEP and do well at the interview will they really care how well I did in the maths challenge?
Thanks in advance

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
From what I know they say STEP has a high correlation with performance at Cambridge so if you do well at interviews and STEP I don't think they would mind
Reply 2
Original post by carlsenesque
I was wondering if not being good at the Maths Challenge (e.g. Intermediate or Senior) means I'm probably not good enough to get into Cambridge to study Maths?
This is because I generally get full marks in all my tests and if I get over 95 UMS in all modules, do well in STEP and do well at the interview will they really care how well I did in the maths challenge?
Thanks in advance

STEP > anything else.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you want to do maths at Cambridge you just need a polished CV and very relevant work experience. You can do the challenges but most of the challenges represent IQ tests or Asperger's tests. I'll send some questions from last year.
Reply 4
Original post by LisaNikita
If you want to do maths at Cambridge you just need a polished CV and very relevant work experience.

Wut?

You can do the challenges but most of the challenges represent IQ tests or Asperger's tests. I'll send some questions from last year.

Wut?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Thanks in advance

I got a silver in the maths challenge last year, and received an offer for maths

That being said, doing well in the maths challenges will definitely help with problem solving skills...
Thanks in advance

if your no good at maths challenge you will be no good at maths in oxbridge
Reply 7
Original post by CraigBackner

Andrew Wiles doesn't agree.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by CraigBackner

Do you have any evidence to support this and if so please share. Also do you study maths at Cambridge if so how did you do in the maths challenge?
Do most Cambridge students get to the BMO?
Do they care if you don't do well at the maths challenge if excel in all other aspects? and is there a correlation between maths challenge success and success at Cambridge?
Is the math challenge more of a logic/problem solving test than maths?
Reply 12
Do most Cambridge students get to the BMO?

It's not relevant.

Anyway, BMO2 has 100 students. There are approx 250 mathematicians accepted each year at Cambridge. So, no, most students don't get to (or even try to) BMO2.

Do they care if you don't do well at the maths challenge if excel in all other aspects? and is there a correlation between maths challenge success and success at Cambridge?

Did you see my earlier replies? The correlation is with STEP, not BMO.

Is the math challenge more of a logic/problem solving test than maths?

You can see past papers here:
https://bmos.ukmt.org.uk/home/bmo.shtml

(Please don't post multiple questions seperately.)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
It's not relevant.

Anyway, BMO2 has 100 students. There are approx 250 mathematicians accepted each year at Cambridge. So, no, most students don't get to (or even try to) BMO2.

Did you see my earlier replies?

(Please don't post multiple questions seperately.)

Do most get to BMO1?
Original post by jneill

That's the BMO, not the Maths Challenge. The BMO is taken only by those who score highly in the Maths Challenge, which is multiple choice and entered by a large number of A-level mathematicians. The standard is not comparable at all.
Reply 15
Original post by Forecast
That's the BMO, not the Maths Challenge. The BMO is taken only by those who score highly in the Maths Challenge, which is multiple choice and entered by a large number of A-level mathematicians. The standard is not comparable at all.

I know, OP seems "obsessed" with BMO.

Edit: ok so here's the Maths Challenge
http://shop.ukmt.org.uk/downloads :wink:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 16
Do most get to BMO1?

No idea.

But it doesn't matter if you don't.

STEP is the key.
Reply 17
Would reaching BMO means a higher chance of getting an interview with Cambridge?
And doing well in the interview would get you and offer requiring you to do well in STEP.
Reply 18
Original post by PigBag
Would reaching BMO means a higher chance of getting an interview with Cambridge?
And doing well in the interview would get you and offer requiring you to do well in STEP.

They interview approx 80% of applicants.

They offer approx half of them.

Half of those offer holders meet the Offer (largely because STEP is hard).
Reply 19
I heard that maths is one of the only subjects Cambridge "over offers" on because of STEP, is that true?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending