The Student Room Group

WJEC Information & Communication Technology IT3 (LEGACY) 1243/01 - 16 Jun 2017

Scroll to see replies

Hey, I was wondering when IT1 question pack is going to be released?
It will help me so much when I revise. :smile:
Thanks
Original post by ahsank98
Thanks

I'm doing A2 so I won't be producing an organised question pack for IT1.

I will however upload the question collection type things I do have for IT1 (though not all of the topics are there)
Original post by ahsank98
Thanks

Here's what I have for IT1.

Topics 9-12 aren't there as by that point in the year I was just doing papers as opposed to topic by topic revision.

I'm sure somebody else here will be willing to clobber together a document with those four others. (HCIs, Social Issues, Database Systems and Modelling)
Reply 63
Original post by AA923
A system analyst has been asked to update a company’s network. Discuss the relative advantages and disadvantages of peer-to-peer and client server network configuration he would include in his feasibility report. [6]

Can someone answer this question for me properly however this time being worth of 8 marks?? Much appreciated

Can any1 answer??
Original post by AA923
Can any1 answer??

Capture.PNG

Just pick eight of those from the scheme, but don't pick more than one factor about knowledge, also do not pick more than one factor about cost. For each factor, you are allowed to describe it from the point of view of P2P or client server (or both if you want)

Just state the factor and describe it. (x8)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 65
Yes I know that but I needed an example of an answer because mine just doesn't look good
Original post by AA923
Yes I know that but I needed an example of an answer because mine just doesn't look good

Upload your answer here and I will have a look.
Reply 67
Here it is
Original post by PedanticStudent
Here's what I have for IT1.

Topics 9-12 aren't there as by that point in the year I was just doing papers as opposed to topic by topic revision.

I'm sure somebody else here will be willing to clobber together a document with those four others. (HCIs, Social Issues, Database Systems and Modelling)

No problem but thank you soo much :biggrin:
Original post by AA923
IMG_0533.jpg

That answer would probably score full marks.

Only criticisms would be that you aren't using paragraphs to separate the factors. So use paragraphs in future.

Also, it would be a good idea to state the factor then go into the discussion regarding that factor.

For example, your first three points:

Status - In peer to peer networks, all machines involved are of equal status.................
*new paragraph*
Network size - (then write what you wrote there)
*new paragraph*
No reliance on a server - (then write what you wrote there)

and so on...

This just makes it absolutely clear what you are talking about and makes the marker's job a hell of a lot easier.

Quality of written communication is never (at least hasn't in the past) been applied to a question like this, so the approach of using hyphens etc isn't going to detriment you as long as you describe thoroughly (which you are doing).

Always check the front of the paper for which question will be assessed for spelling, punctuation and grammar. In these questions, it is best to adopt a flow similar to what you have done in the picture (just with paragraphs). Throw in commas and semicolons etc where it is appropriate.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by AA923
IMG_0533.jpg

I think you would also get full marks, but you need to separate your answers to make it clear for the examiner.
Reply 71
Original post by alevellife123
I think you would also get full marks, but you need to separate your answers to make it clear for the examiner.

Thanks guys ! But My issue is that I know what the points are on the markschemes but I am struggling with making exam answers like structured ones which makes me feel that I take too long on some of the questions or my layout is absolutely rubbish which is making me quite depressed tbh
Original post by AA923
Thanks guys ! But My issue is that I know what the points are on the markschemes but I am struggling with making exam answers like structured ones which makes me feel that I take too long on some of the questions or my layout is absolutely rubbish which is making me quite depressed tbh

Many people will be feeling the same as you are. It's tough going to have to re-learn IT1 and also learn IT3 on top of each other.

Don't worry too much about time for ICT, you have an awfully long while. I'm doing business which is like a sprint in comparison regarding the time.

Your answers aren't that bad, you just need to start using paragraphs to present your answers more neatly.

I remember seeing one of your examples for Body scanning / blood tracking / sensors on IT1, and I can assure you that the answer you have provided here is of a much better quality than that one.

Keep your head up, it will get easier with practice, as is the case with most things.
Reply 73
Since A-level IT is coming to an end, should I just learn the mark schemes for everything that has come up? My teacher told me that they won't bother writing new questions because that takes a while.
Original post by Shilosh
Since A-level IT is coming to an end, should I just learn the mark schemes for everything that has come up? My teacher told me that they won't bother writing new questions because that takes a while.

There is never a guarantee that new questions will not appear.

There was a new six marker and a new 3 marker last year, however these were relatively nice questions and werent too hard going and didn't require much of a theoretical knowledge to answer, they were more general knowledge or could be answered based on what you already knew (except maybe 1 or 2 of the marks)

For this reason and yes considering ICT is coming to an end, I feel that mark scheme learning is (and always has been really) the best way to prepare yourself for the coming exam.

Best of luck.
Reply 75
But really does it matter how u answer the questions isn't it just u have to have the points from the markschemes in ur answers
Original post by AA923
But really does it matter how u answer the questions isn't it just u have to have the points from the markschemes in ur answers

In the interests of safety and increasing your chances of satisfying the 'Describe' command word, you must make clear distinction that you are indeed describing, rather than just stating the points.

You need to get the mark scheme points down yes, but also try to pad them with additional detail (talk about it for longer thats all there is to it.).

In most cases, the scheme points alone (probably) would get the marks, but it depends on how certain you want to be in whether you will get the mark or not.
Reply 77
For this Question : A company is considering changing its network. Other than topology issues.Describe in detail three factors that will influence the choice of a network (6)

Answer :
One factor which might influence the choice of a network is the size of the organisation. Small organisations based on site may only need a global wan to meet their needs.

The second factor is considering how the system will be used. The type and number of applications users will require as well as how much data storage space is needed should be considered when deciding on the most suitable network.

The third factor is the integration of existing systems into the network . As networks are not often built from scratch it is important that they are able to fit in with existing systems and protocol and support existing peripherals such as printers already being used.
(Ignore English mistakes )
Reply 78
How many marks would I get guys
Reply 79
Small organisations based on site may only need a LAN were as large organisations such as international companies may only need a global wan to meet their needs *

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending