The Student Room Group

Article: Imperial College London trumps Oxbridge in new university rankings

(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I was expecting to see some spam article with London Met, but no, a surprisingly good article.
Original post by auburnstar
I was expecting to see some spam article with London Met, but no, a surprisingly good article.

What's with your obsession with London Met :rofl:
Original post by auburnstar

Original post by wolfmoon88
What's with your obsession with London Met :rofl:

Fancy seeing you here Wolfie :hat2:
Original post by SteamboatMickey
Fancy seeing you here Wolfie :hat2:

:hi: I'll contribute to the internationalness of whichever uni I go to so it's extremely relevant for me :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Good to see Imperial topping a UK uni table for a change!

It is surprising none of the "well known" US universities are in the top 20, perhaps especially Harvard. But QS agrees with only MIT and Caltech being "well known" in their Top 10 US Universities with the Most International Students:
https://www.topuniversities.com/blog/10-us-universities-most-international-students
Reply 7
And if we just look at "international reputation" LSE is the top UK university, followed by Cambridge:
1. LSE
2. Cambridge
3. Oxford
4. Imperial
5. KCL
6. UCL
7. Edinburgh
8. Manchester
9. Glasgow
10. Bristol
Original post by JohnGreek
"most international universities"

who cares

Btw there's a discrepancy between the article and the actual table. Cambridge is eighth, and UCL is ninth.

:headfire:

Just testing :wink:

That's all edited and correct, thank you :smile:
Original post by jneill

It is surprising none of the "well known" US universities are in the top 20, perhaps especially Harvard. But QS agrees with only MIT and Caltech being "well known" in their Top 10 US Universities with the Most International Students:
https://www.topuniversities.com/blog/10-us-universities-most-international-students

Honestly I am not particularly surprised that some Harvard isn't in the top 20, just because of their recent admissions policies and their tendency to accept more homegrown students for their diversity quotas rather than international students. (Anecdotal of course)
Reply 10
"most international universities"

who cares

Btw there's a discrepancy between the article and the actual table. Cambridge is eighth, and UCL is ninth.

You do. Enough to check it...
:hi: I'll contribute to the internationalness of whichever uni I go to so it's extremely relevant for me :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which unis have you applied for? :h:
Reply 12
Honestly I am not particularly surprised that some Harvard isn't in the top 20, just because of their recent admissions policies and their tendency to accept more homegrown students for their diversity quotas rather than international students. (Anecdotal of course)

Seems to be having an affect... (actually I don't know that, we'd need to check against prior years).
Original post by She-Ra
Which unis have you applied for? :h:

I applied to Oxford (rejection), UCL, St Andrews, Exeter, and Manchester :smile:
Original post by jneill
Seems to be having an affect... (actually I don't know that, we'd need to check against prior years).

If I can find the statistics I'll look out for it but American unis especially private ones have never been the most transparent with admissions data.
Original post by jneill

Columbia? :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16

Where?

:wink:

I'd say the only Ivies known outside the US are Harvard and Yale. And maybe Princeton. And yeah none of them are in that QS top 10.
Original post by jneill
Where?

:wink:

I'd say the only Ivies known outside the US are Harvard and Yale. And maybe Princeton. And yeah none of them are in that QS top 10.

Ooh That's controversial :tongue:

That's probably true but I feel like Columbia is pretty well known outside of the US as well especially in Asia.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Really misleading headline, this isn't an overall ranking, moreover just a universities' international friendliness.
Reply 19
Lol Columbia's pretty well known outside the US, particularly its Law School.

Amongst lawyers.

Now try asking some ordinary folks to name American universities.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending