The Student Room Group

"I don't have enough time" is crap, yes you do.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tiger Rag
lol, can you tell that to my sister please? She studied psychology at uni and walked into a job. Applied for a job within the prison service and walked into that.

Yeah, really sounds like something virtually unemployable.

It is entirely dependant on the individual, some degrees agreeably are more employable than others but if you have that drive to go out and apply to jobs/put in 100% effort in every interview (research, research, research), then as long as you graduate with at least a 2:1 you stand a good chance of getting something.
Original post by Tiger Rag
lol, can you tell that to my sister please? She studied psychology at uni and walked into a job. Applied for a job within the prison service and walked into that.

Yeah, really sounds like something virtually unemployable.

It is entirely dependant on the individual, some degrees agreeably are more employable than others but if you have that drive to go out and apply to jobs/put in 100% effort in every interview (research, research, research), then as long as you graduate with at least a 2:1 you stand a good chance of getting something.

Also not having a weekend job during University is a major mistake people make.
Original post by Thomazo
There's always time. 24 hours per day in fact. It's how you use that time, aka what you value. If you "have no time to exercise" you do not value your health more than you value the things you do instead, like watching netflix. Simple.

That is not quite right. If it is considered that people are sleeping 6 up to 9 hours, there are 15 up to 18 hours left to use the day. Working time and time for learnung excluded.
Original post by Glassapple
People, especially students, like to say they don't have enough time to do things like clean, exercise, make meals, study, see friends, shop, etc. These people are not using their time effectively. Wake up an hour early to exercise or clean, do things at set times, be more organised, don't take breaks for hours and hours watching Netflix or sitting on Facebook.

Today I woke up at 6, made breakfast, did an hour of cardio, showered, cleaned my room, vacuumed the house, took the bins out and packed by bag for tomorrow, all before 8. Then I did laundry, ironing and made lunch for tomorrow. I did a couple of hours of studying, went out to do food shopping, put it all away and that came to 2pm. I've had a friend over since then, and now I'm on an exercise bike while writing this. You do have time, stop moaning you don't.

You stink of arrogance.
Good for you
Original post by cbreef
You stink of arrogance.

Most appreciated, thank you.
If the world were merely seductive, that would be easy. If it were merely challenging, that would be no problem. But I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.
Most appreciated, thank you.

I don't understand why you keep going on about how good and organised you are.
Most people don't get up at 6am to do exercise and shower and you can't convince them to do otherwise.
Why? Because they much prefer staying in bed. It's way better.
Original post by cbreef
I don't understand why you keep going on about how good and organised you are.
Most people don't get up at 6am to do exercise and shower and you can't convince them to do otherwise.
Why? Because they much prefer staying in bed. It's way better.

I keep 'going on' about it because I'm not one of those people who moans they have 'no time' and livestream a pigsty, like do many do. Maybe, just maybe this thread has inspired one person to have a more active, clean and organised life; that would be an achievement. Staying in bed is a waste of time, you're not benefitting your body and you're not benefitting your life.
I keep 'going on' about it because I'm not one of those people who moans they have 'no time' and livestream a pigsty, like do many do. Maybe, just maybe this thread has inspired one person to have a more active, clean and organised life; that would be an achievement. Staying in bed is a waste of time, you're not benefitting your body and you're not benefitting your life.

Yes, because getting up at 6am is really good for you, but I digress. Staying in bed might be a waste of time you could be using, but most do not care. It's fun, and I must admit, your strict schedule sounds not very fun at all.
Original post by cbreef
Yes, because getting up at 6am is really good for you, but I digress. Staying in bed might be a waste of time you could be using, but most do not care. It's fun, and I must admit, your strict schedule sounds not very fun at all.

We all have our own interpretations of fun, mine is to be productive and to make sure things are sorted. If yours is to eat Twix just after you've woken up at 3pm and then switch on Netflix, good for you. Mine is better.
We all have our own interpretations of fun, mine is to be productive and to make sure things are sorted. If yours is to eat Twix just after you've woken up at 3pm and then switch on Netflix, good for you. Mine is better.

How is it better though?
Original post by cbreef
How is it better though?

You think being healthier, more productive, more organised, more efficient, having more energy, getting things done, not living in mess, etc are all bad things?
You think being healthier, more productive, more organised, more efficient, having more energy, getting things done, not living in mess, etc are all bad things?

Absolutely not, but at the end of the day none of that matters if you're unhappy.
Original post by cbreef
Absolutely not, but at the end of the day none of that matters if you're unhappy.

One you make a commitment to start and are consistent with it, there's no reason you can't be happy doing what I do. Obviously the first day and first week are going to be hard.
Technically, most of the people have even a bit more than 84 hours, as they have not to work at the weekend days, so saturday and sunday. Otherwise I think the same. The time which is left is sufficient to do whatever we want to.
Sure, what I meant was that I've encountered a lot of students that don't have a weekend job, my last job before I went to Uni was as an Assistant Manager at a local charity shop, and have stayed on weekends during term times.

My point is that as I know the ins and outs of charity shops, I know for a fact EVERY charity shop NEEDS volunteers, its literally impossible to not find work experience if you're willing to do volunteer work while looking for a paid position.

Having work experience during your time studying makes your C.V. much stronger.
Original post by Kallisto
That is not quite right. If it is considered that people are sleeping 6 up to 9 hours, there are 15 up to 18 hours left to use the day. Working time and time for learnung excluded.

Exactly, and you sleep 6 to 9 hours because you (OBVIOUSLY) value sleeping more than anything else you could do during that time (because it's necessary). And you study because you value studying. (As you should). The same principle applies for everything else, if you value exercise more than x, then you will do exercise for an hour rather than doing x for an hour. If you have time for both, you will do both. But if you only have an hour, you can only choose one. And whichever one you choose, is whichever you value most.

There's always time on the day, some of which is used on necessary things. But there is also always time after doing all the necessary things.
Saying having a job detracts you from study is a fallacy, doing a 10-4 shift every sunday wont detract from study time unless your already spending too much time partying.

I spend 3 hours a day driving to and from Uni (long travel route), have my daughter full-time and work Saturday and Sunday ALL DAY.

My Comp Sci term 1 results? 100%, 95%, 90%, 88% (still waiting on 1 to get back), I plan to drop one day of working a week IF my workload becomes too much, at the moment its manageable and I need the money to pay rent/bills/food.
I think having work experience on your cv is pretty tangible to me, personally. :P

Quick Reply

Latest