The Student Room Group

Did anyone get caught for not declaring a past resit?

If so, how? Also when during the process did you get caught and what consequence did you face for it?

I know the the consequences stated on UCAS or university sites but I want to hear the stories from actual people.
Original post by danroj
If so, how? Also when during the process did you get caught and what consequence did you face for it?

I know the the consequences stated on UCAS or university sites but I want to hear the stories from actual people.

I know of two cases of students who were dismissed from their courses during their second year when discrepancies in their application information about qualifications came to light.

We also had a case on TSR a few years ago of a student who resat in June (but only stated on their application that they'd resit in January) and lost her place in August when the results came through. She'd met her offer but because her exam details didn't match those originally declared she was denied a place.

Cases are few and far between (and students don't tend to publicise them due to embarrassment and fear of further representational damage (they've already been caught out for fraud....))....but they do happen and it's almost certain that any undisclosed resits will be spotted due to the nature of qualification checks on admissions/progression. In most cases universities don't penalise students caught lying on their applications - but they're well within their rights to do so and will if they're looking for a reason to get rid of you.

The risk of getting caught is high. The chance of the consequences being bad is low - but the scale of those possible consequences is extremely high.

The risk from being honest and declaring your grades is close to nil. Universities either don't care about resits (or if they do it's for good reason and based on evidence that students with those qualifications are likely to fail....so by lying you just set yourself up for failure later on).
Hmmmm......either way it is still not worth risking.
Reply 3
Original post by PQ
I know of two cases of students who were dismissed from their courses during their second year when discrepancies in their application information about qualifications came to light.

We also had a case on TSR a few years ago of a student who resat in June (but only stated on their application that they'd resit in January) and lost her place in August when the results came through. She'd met her offer but because her exam details didn't match those originally declared she was denied a place.

Cases are few and far between (and students don't tend to publicise them due to embarrassment and fear of further representational damage (they've already been caught out for fraud....))....but they do happen and it's almost certain that any undisclosed resits will be spotted due to the nature of qualification checks on admissions/progression. In most cases universities don't penalise students caught lying on their applications - but they're well within their rights to do so and will if they're looking for a reason to get rid of you.

The risk of getting caught is high. The chance of the consequences being bad is low - but the scale of those possible consequences is extremely high.

The risk from being honest and declaring your grades is close to nil. Universities either don't care about resits (or if they do it's for good reason and based on evidence that students with those qualifications are likely to fail....so by lying you just set yourself up for failure later on).

Whoa ... do you know how they got caught? Thanks for replying but I didn't quite understand the bold bits - mind explaining? :smile:

As a private international candidate (not from school) I don't see how because when I applied previously I had different candidate number and the last time I applied I had another different candidate number. Like I never carry forwarded the marks.

Since I sat the exams as a private candidate does UCAS get the results straight from my exam board? And when they ask the exam board for my grades does the exam board give only the results I would've declared on UCAS or ALL my results from previous resits? Do you know how exam boards even keep my previous details or are all my grades entered separately on their system since I had a different candidate number each time?

The other issue i have is when I previously entered my exam I actually didn't sit for all the modules that make up an AS level or A2 so when it came to grades I got absence which means I didn't sit the exams and therefore didn't have any grades to declare which is why I feel as though I don't have to declare them do I?

Hope someone can answer all my questions.
Original post by PQ

I didn't declare that I sat M1 by itself, on a different exam board to my Maths A Level, in Year 11. Do I need to be worried?
Original post by PQ

i dont understand this lol
so someone lied about resitting? a module ?
Original post by an_atheist
I didn't declare that I sat M1 by itself, on a different exam board to my Maths A Level, in Year 11. Do I need to be worried?

A single module that was never part of an AS or A level grade isn't a formal qualification and wouldn't need to be declared.
Original post by PQ
A single module that was never part of an AS or A level grade isn't a formal qualification and wouldn't need to be declared.

Thank you, relieved to hear that.
Reply 8
Original post by danroj

You don't want to take a chance for an actual subject re-sit. If you do get caught your offers will be withdrawn.
Well crud, I forgot to declare that something I got an A in was actually a re-sit. Any way to declare it to UCAS now or do I just have to bite my nails and wait?
Original post by SophiaMayx
Well crud, I forgot to declare that something I got an A in was actually a re-sit. Any way to declare it to UCAS now or do I just have to bite my nails and wait?

email the details to [email protected] - when they confirm that the extra qualifications have been added to your application notify all of your universities directly of the change.
Original post by PQ
email the details to [email protected] - when they confirm that the extra qualifications have been added to your application notify all of your universities directly of the change.

Thanks! :adore:
Reply 12
Original post by PQ

Hi Sorry but could you please answer my previous questions :smile:

Original post by danroj
Whoa ... do you know how they got caught? Thanks for replying but I didn't quite understand the bold bits - mind explaining? :smile:

As a private international candidate (not from school) I don't see how because when I applied previously I had different candidate number and the last time I applied I had another different candidate number. Like I never carry forwarded the marks.

Since I sat the exams as a private candidate does UCAS get the results straight from my exam board? And when they ask the exam board for my grades does the exam board give only the results I would've declared on UCAS or ALL my results from previous resits? Do you know how exam boards even keep my previous details or are all my grades entered separately on their system since I had a different candidate number each time?

The other issue i have is when I previously entered my exam I actually didn't sit for all the modules that make up an AS level or A2 so when it came to grades I got absence which means I didn't sit the exams and therefore didn't have any grades to declare which is why I feel as though I don't have to declare them do I?

Hope someone can answer all my questions.
Original post by danroj
Hi Sorry but could you please answer my previous questions :smile:

No

You're obviously attempting to cheat the system. As an international student applying independently your application will be subject to a lot more scrutiny than a UK applicant coming through a centre as universities know that your application has not been subject to as many checks/validation before submission.

I would advise you to declare all of your certified/cashed in grades as required by UCAS and universities and NOT to submit an application you know to be fraudulent.

If you ignore that advice then as an adult that's your choice to make and you will be the person who has to live with the consequences of your fraud.
Reply 14
Original post by PQ
No

You're obviously attempting to cheat the system. As an international student applying independently your application will be subject to a lot more scrutiny than a UK applicant coming through a centre as universities know that your application has not been subject to as many checks/validation before submission.

I would advise you to declare all of your certified/cashed in grades as required by UCAS and universities and NOT to submit an application you know to be fraudulent.

If you ignore that advice then as an adult that's your choice to make and you will be the person who has to live with the consequences of your fraud.

Actually spoke to UCAS and said I don't have to declare grades if I didn't get a final grade for not completing modules that make up a full level therefore my application won't be fraudulent and neither do I need you to answer my question anymore :smile:.
how do you declare your resits? i didnt do that on my application form (I didnt know you had to)
just to clarify I told all my unis about not including my re sits (and even my AS results). they didn't care however I would seriously not advise missing it out of your application. I did it by accident and I was lucky I noticed it and got it sorted but the consequences can be so much worse if you do it deliberately and do not own up to it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending