The Student Room Group

Should the UK adopt Trumps travel ban? (Or something similar?)

Poll

Should the UK copy Trump's travel ban?

If so why/why not?

Things to take into account:

Trump mentioned 9/11 as one of the motives for the ban- however the main nationalitesof the hi jackers (Saudi Arabia, Egypt) will not be effected.

Islamic terrorism in the US is very low. That said maybe that's because Islam is not the size it is there comparable to European countries.

By far the bigger problem is Domestic home grown terrorism (e.g. the over 300 uk born people who joined Isis) - however arguably cutting off their supply of potential new recruits could help.

Trump says current US policy discriminates against christians- figures show the ratio to be roughly equally balanced ( just over 3800 muslims and just over 3700 christians)
Reply 1
My view- I think this policy is ultimately a costly and ineffective gimmick (like a lot of Trump's policies).

However. I do not support Muslim immigration to the west for a plethora of reasons which I've put forward many times before (and no race isn't anything to do with it). If there was some way of making certain whether a prospective immigrant or refugee is Muslim or not I would be all for taking as many non muslims as we could afford to take.

However as we can't do that A blanket ban is regrettably the only alternative. I'd actually extend it to every Islamic majority country.
Anything that curtails or even attempts to curtail Muslim influence in the West is something I support.
inb4
'racist'
What race is Islam?
Reply 3
A travel ban is too harsh but all Muslim immigrants and refugees should be rejected.

They are not one of us and nor am I convinced they really want to be.
Nope :-)
All I want is the possiblity of radicalised Muslims implementing the Sharia Law to be prevented.

If that means controlled immigration, and Trump's method of TEMPORARILY putting a ban on some countries, then count me in.

What I won't like is if the UK ban residents who have been in the country, settled, when they go out of the UK and trying to come back in (to meet family, etc)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Rakas21
A travel ban is too harsh but all Muslim immigrants and refugees should be rejected.

How can we ensure they're not Muslim though?
Reply 7
Original post by Davij038
How can we ensure they're not Muslim though?

Nationality like Trump.
Reply 8
Your argument is based on facts and logic .

Trump appeals to emotion and populism.

And because emotion and populism works better than rational facts, studies and logic, yes.
Reply 9
gdfgdfg

The facts, studies and evidence are irrelevant.

Trump appeals to emotion. That's how he wins.
Genuine question, what benefit does accepting refugees actually have for your average working class Joe?
Reply 11
Original post by Rakas21
Nationality like Trump.

Ah ok that's what I meant by travel ban, my mistake I should have been clearer.
Original post by Rakas21

One of us? That's pretty collectivist.
Reply 13
Original post by .( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°).
Genuine question, what benefit does accepting refugees actually have for your average working class Joe?

None, if you want a welfare state and minimum wage.

If you don't then they'll do stuff for less pay so joe average can say employ a phillipino maid cheaply to look after his kids.
None, if you want a welfare state and minimum wage.

If you don't then they'll do stuff for less pay so joe average can say employ a phillipino maid cheaply to look after his kids.

It's a (largely) free market, they're entitled to do so.
Yes.

Many Muslims come here then proclaim Islamic values are better than Western values. This is something that really bothers me as thousands of Muslims are lining up to come to the west but Westerners couldn't care less about living in Islamic countries.
Reply 16
Original post by _gcx
It's a (largely) free market, they're entitled to do so.

Not with minimum wage laws they can't. Also if they're out if work, get old, get sick or have kids that's a tax drain.
Reply 17
It's counter productive in tackling terrorism. We should maintain our refugee intake and continue allowing those with a job/skilled position waiting to enter the country. Our intelligence is excellent at preventing such attacks and energy should be focused on tackling homegrown terrorism.

Immigration from free movement and as a whole is a different issue but there's no need for a targeted ban, it's already hard enough to move into the UK from outside the EU.
Reply 18
Original post by Rakas21

Why would they want to be when people like you constantly alienate them and tell them that they are not British?
Original post by .( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°).

Accepting refugees maintains the principle that people seeking refuge will be granted that by countries able to offer save haven. In this sense then your question is analogous to asking after the benefits that the health service confers for the physically fit. Presently refugee is in the popular imagination parsed as "brown person" but refugees were in living memory Europeans. Our children or grandchildren might be refugees - who knows? - let's hope that taking them in isn't by then a practice that fell out of fashion way back in the 2010s.

I think as well that it is a common decency that if someone is in trouble we will help him. We best protect and preserve our enlightenment values by reaffirming and cleaving to them.

Quick Reply