The Student Room Group

16 countries forbid admission to Israeli passport holders. Where are the protests?

Scroll to see replies

the Holy Land was granted to the tribes of Israel by the Almighty. there is nothing else to say.
Original post by the bear
the Holy Land was granted to the tribes of Israel by the Almighty. there is nothing else to say.

Boring.
Original post by yudothis
Boring.

so insightful.
Reply 23
Israel do the same to them, this is a lousy argument and it's due to a conflict that's been going on for years. Both sides have commited illegal offences, one side still oftenlynbreaches international law hence why these countries have imposed travel sanctions on it. I don't even think Israel would allow their people to go to these countries? Going back would certainly result in strong interrogation. It's a 2 way thing so don't try and pin it on these countries, Israel is no better.
so insightful.

No. True.

" granted to the tribes of Israel by the Almighty" was very insightful though.
No. True.

" granted to the tribes of Israel by the Almighty" was very insightful though.

hmmm it is the Truth
hmmm it is the Truth

Not unless you are Jewish. And even then it is a perceived truth.
Israel is a legitimate state. Building settlements on the soil of Eretz Israel is the right thing to do. Jews from the whole diaspora including Ethiopia are welcome to here.

We're going to have to beg to differ on the legitimacy thing - just managing an entry into the UN does not maketh a moral and genuine statehood.

Nonetheless, I don't approve of banning ordinary respectable people from visiting, especially on things like scientific, academic and cultural exchanges, just because they come from a country that does bad things.

However, we can and should be able to ban undesirable people, dangerous people, etc. Thus when Trump was not even the candidate, but just a mouthy yob spreading hate speech and inciting violence, we were happy to call for him to be banned from the UK.
Not unless you are Jewish. And even then it is a perceived truth.

i won't be perceiving you any more :h:
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Nonetheless, ... just because they come from a country that does bad things.

Quite. i would be willing to let "Palestinians" visit my university despite their history of rocket attacks on Jewish children.
Probably because if they did protest then that might draw attention to the inherent anti-Semitism within Islam.Which would not portray Islam in a good light hence no protests.
Original post by swanderfeild
We generally don't hold largely tinpot middle eastern dictatorships to the same standards as a modern, democratic nation whose politics has global impact for rather obvious reasons; kind of the same reason why we're not shocked by civil war in Congo while if North Carolina invaded South Carolina, it'd be far more newsworthy and surprising.

Ah, the strange moral standards of the left.

If you believe something to be wrong, it is wrong regardless of who is doing it.

Perhaps you believe the Muslim world incapable of civilized behaviour and thus hold them to a lower standard.

Ever heard the phrase "the soft bigotry of low expectations" ?
Original post by zayn008
Israel do the same to them, this is a lousy argument and it's due to a conflict that's been going on for years. Both sides have commited illegal offences, one side still oftenlynbreaches international law hence why these countries have imposed travel sanctions on it. I don't even think Israel would allow their people to go to these countries? Going back would certainly result in strong interrogation. It's a 2 way thing so don't try and pin it on these countries, Israel is no better.

While not 100% certain i don't believe Israel has any travel bans in place, in either direction.

Obviously you claim they do, you have any evidence to back it up?

Mute point anyway.

If you believe Trumps Muslim ban to be wrong , the Muslim countries Jew ban is wrong too and If Israel had a ban in place that would be wrong also.
and most of those states that ban israelis from entering also are banned from entering israel.

not banning JEWS, banning ISRAELIS
Original post by homeland.lsw
and most of those states that ban israelis from entering also are banned from entering israel.

Do you have any proof of that?

I dont believe you have.

Fair enough, so Trump hasn't banned Muslims hes banned Iraqis and Syrians etc.

Glad that ones cleared up.
Reply 35
Original post by joe cooley
While not 100% certain i don't believe Israel has any travel bans in place, in either direction.

Obviously you claim they do, you have any evidence to back it up?

Mute point anyway.

If you believe Trumps Muslim ban to be wrong , the Muslim countries Jew ban is wrong too and If Israel had a ban in place that would be wrong also.

You're right, having read deeper it turns out they're banned to travel to Israel but from their own government. Whilst I'm still against the ban and I'm happy to hear Israel don't impose such bans (although they aren't very kind at the boarder), you have understand these bans are completely different and is due to a conflict dating way back that has caused numerous wars and attacks and is still an on-going conflict due to Israel's ongoing abuse of international law as they see it (I don't want to debate this issue but it is a valid arguement in their view).

Trumps ban doesn't just effect tourism, it effects those who were in mid-air, fleeing persecution in their own country, seeking a better life or to keep their life. It also effected those who were residents in america with an established life and career who Traveled and now can't return.

Whilst I see his point about terrorism I think he should at least be taking in those with desperate need, he shouldn't have turned away those in mid air and certainly not those with established lives in the USA. Do you think it's the fair the USA brings countries down to the ground like Iraq and Libya, destroys their resources and lives then says they cannot leave their country? It sounds like a story out of world war 2. In Isolation i ageee with what the ban wants to achieve but I don't think the ban will be effective at it and its seriously flawed. Looking at the bigger picture, it's disgraceful to see what America is doing, first destroying countries and lives then saying they can't seek a better life, I thought the idea of the American dream is what made America so great? I thought spreading that dream was the purpose of the Iraq and Libyan wars? Clearly not. It's time America took responsibility for its actions, I can't point the finger at trump and blame him because truth be told, foreign policy in the US has been a disaster for decades including Obamas.
(edited 7 years ago)
Israel is a legit state, many people from surrounding countries can come live in Israel, but Israelis are banned from some of their neighbours. People just have an agenda to hate a country which is literally just trying to exist with all its neighbours wishing it was blown up
Original post by zayn008
You're right, having read deeper it turns out they're banned to travel to Israel but from their own government. Whilst I'm still against the ban and I'm happy to hear Israel don't impose such bans (although they aren't very kind at the boarder), you have understand these bans are completely different and is due to a conflict dating way back that has caused numerous wars and attacks and is still an on-going conflict due to Israel's ongoing abuse of international law as they see it (I don't want to debate this issue but it is a valid arguement in their view).

Trumps ban doesn't just effect tourism, it effects those who were in mid-air, fleeing persecution in their own country, seeking a better life or to keep their life. It also effected those who were residents in america with an established life and career who Traveled and now can't return.

Whilst I see his point about terrorism I think he should at least be taking in those with desperate need, he shouldn't have turned away those in mid air and certainly not those with established lives in the USA. Do you think it's the fair the USA brings countries down to the ground like Iraq and Libya, destroys their resources and lives then says they cannot leave their country? It sounds like a story out of world war 2. In Isolation i ageee with what the ban wants to achieve but I don't think the ban will be effective at it and its seriously flawed. Looking at the bigger picture, it's disgraceful to see what America is doing, first destroying countries and lives then saying they can't seek a better life, I thought the idea of the American dream is what made America so great? I thought spreading that dream was the purpose of the Iraq and Libyan wars? Clearly not. It's time America took responsibility for its actions, I can't point the finger at trump and blame him because truth be told, foreign policy in the US has been a disaster for decades including Obamas.

So, now we have established that the Muslim states ban on Israelis is not reciprocated by Israel there is no reason for the left to ignore the travel ban imposed by many Muslim countries is there?

For the purposes of this thread the rights and wrongs of Trumps travel ban are immaterial.

The thread is dedicated to the hypocrisy of the left ignoring the similar bans put in place by 16 Muslim nations.
Original post by queen-bee
Israel is an illegitimate state. Stop building illegal settlements. Stop ethnic cleansing.stop racism towards Ethiopians and other black migrants.

It has been a legitimate state recognized by the UN since 1948. If you want to speak about 'legitmate' and 'illegitimate' state the only legitimate qualification is diplomatic representation. NOT A SINGLE STATE IN THE WORLD HAS BEEN FOUNDED WITHOUT SOME KIND OF OPPRESSION.

Look at America for example. Why isn't it owned by the Native Americans? What about Russia? Why isn't Russia owned by all the tribes? Is Poland legitimate? It was carved out of Russia, Lithuania, Germany, etc after WW1. Is France legitimate? Shouldn't the North be given back to the Bretons?
Original post by joe cooley

Do you have any proof of that?

I dont believe you have.

Fair enough, so Trump hasn't banned Muslims hes banned Iraqis and Syrians etc.

Glad that ones cleared up.

states in black do not allow israeli passport holders from entering

states in beige that need Israeli government permission to enter israel.

Well, Iran doesn't ban Jews from entering, Iran has a large Jewish population themselves :rofl: other countries i don't know of so can't comment.

Trump has banned Muslim yes, considering Christian syrians are allowed to enter the US

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending