The Student Room Group

What misconception would you like to clear up?

What's a misconception about yourself or anything in general that you just want to clear up?

1. The Great Wall of China cannot be seen from space
2. Just because I did computer science doesn't mean I'm going to fix your computer.
3. That you can't just "deal with it" when it comes to mental issues.

Also that I'm black (a common TSR misconception)... I'm not black.

Now your turn...

Discuss.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
1. That because I have OCD doesn't mean I wash my hands 24/7, that I am always cleaning or that I like everything to be perfect. Nope, I live in a ****hole, I don't mind mess and I never organise my things and I don't spend all day washing my hands, yet I still have a severe form of the condition - just not the kind that people are used to. Also, I hate when people think I diagnosed myself and I'm like "omg I'm so OCD!", especially because I talk openly about it. Nope :facepalm: I've been in and out of therapy since I was a child for it. I didn't diagnose myself after reading some article or whatever like people seem to think is the case when you are open about MH.

2. That I must be lonely because I'm a 'crazy cat lady'. A lot of people seem to think you are missing out of human love when you value pet affection so highly. Nope, I have a great partner, mum and the absolute best grandparents I could ever ask for but yet, I am still an animal person and value my cats dearly because I love them, I grew up in an animal loving household and most of all, because they are worthy of love :yep:

Those are the two main ones. A small one would be that I'm not as moody as my resting ***** face would lead you to believe :colondollar: :laugh:
(edited 7 years ago)
Losing weight in the form of fat isn't some magical combination of factors, eating the right 'macros' in the right order, obsessively using fitness apps, eating almonds whilst spinning on your head three times...

Eat less that you need to stay a stable weight. Chuck some exercise in too. Don't be extreme.
Reply 3
About me: after doing a political spectrum test, I'm actually on the libertarian left.

General: 666 is not the number of the beast.
Ducks' quacks do echo.
(edited 7 years ago)
Jet fuel cannot in fact, melt, steel beams
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Zargabaath
Jet fuel cannot in fact, melt, steal beams

9/11 seriously?
1. I'm always angry or sad
2. That I'm a loner, just because I sit my sixth form library by myself EVERYDAY. I'm not, I have plenty of friends, I just prefer to be in my own company at sixth form, so that I can concentrate on getting good grades and getting into my first choice uni, yet for some reason, people have a problem with that..
Original post by Drewski

Ducks' quacks do echo.

Did you find this out as they swam under a road bridge or something?
That I'm white. I'm pakistani, it says so on my page.
Cheese is a vegetable :unimpressed:
Original post by Reality Check
Did you find this out as they swam under a road bridge or something?

Too much QI.
And this: http://www.acoustics.salford.ac.uk/acoustics_info/duck/
Quinoa is pronounced keen-wa, not kwin-oa

Well I never...
Original post by YoloBaggins00
9/11 seriously?

On that note, I may as well clear up the misconception that the towers fell from the steel beams "melting".

They didn't, they got really hot and they started sagging. Under high temperatures, steel's strength is massively reduced and that's partly responsible for the collapse. Also jet fuel wasn't the only thing burning.
(edited 7 years ago)
It doesn't bother me too much, but I do see people and the media making the misconception that pedophiles are child molesters. If you look at the two separate definitions, pedophilia is the attraction, and molestation is the action. This is a very popular misconception.
1. Being an edgelord doesn't make you cool
2. Being an atheist doesn't automatically make you smart or superior
3. Being religious doesn't make you more humane
That uni is not what it makes out to be if you are an introvert like me !!!!!!!
I may or may not be gay.
Original post by Zargabaath
Jet fuel cannot in fact, melt, steal beams

How about steel beams?
Reply 19
All because I study maths does not mean I can work out 327x492 in an instant.

Quick Reply

Latest