The Student Room Group

My laptop is so slow?

What can i do? Sometimes i'd be watching a video and the video freezes but you can hear the sound and so i can hear everything but can't see it for like 2 minutes then it works and i'd have to go back to the beggining of the video cause i heard it when it wasnt moving

Scroll to see replies

How old is your laptop? I know mine have started running slow after having them for about 2-3 years. That might be it🤷🏻*♀️
Reply 2
Is it possible to proivde the laptops specs? like processor, amount of RAM?

If you don't know how, press Ctrl + Shift + Escape simultaneously, press 'More Details' and go to the Performance tab, and screenshot or give me the CPU name and amount of RAM
Download more ram and buy more DLC
Original post by NatashaRoebuck
How old is your laptop? I know mine have started running slow after having them for about 2-3 years. That might be it🤷🏻*♀️

3 years but it's been like this for 2 years.
Original post by Zoliii
Is it possible to proivde the laptops specs? like processor, amount of RAM?

If you don't know how, press Ctrl + Shift + Escape simultaneously, press 'More Details' and go to the Performance tab, and screenshot or give me the CPU name and amount of RAM

I don't have an escape button :?
Original post by Wibblywobblyhard

How do i download more ram and what is DLC? How do i use it?
Reply 7
Original post by emerald7770
I don't have an escape button :?

Should be at the top left of your keyboard. If not, press Ctrl + Alt + Delete and press task manager, then go to the performance tab :P
Reply 8
How do i download more ram and what is DLC? How do i use it?

It's a troll lol, ignore it xD
Reply 9
Buy a new one :colonhash:
Original post by Zoliii
Should be at the top left of your keyboard. If not, press Ctrl + Alt + Delete and press task manager, then go to the performance tab :P

Oh lol i got it. So can i say my cpu or is it secret?
Original post by Zoliii
It's a troll lol, ignore it xD

:frown:((
Reply 12
Oh lol i got it. So can i say my cpu or is it secret?

Nah its not secret, its just a part of your laptop, if I know what it is it'll help me find out if it could be the reason your laptop is slow. Also that page should tell you how much 'RAM' or 'Memory' you laptop has.
Original post by iqra2159
Buy a new one :colonhash:

Yeah so that laptop can do the same nahhhh
What's ur laptop specs
Capture.PNG
Original post by Zoliii
Nah its not secret, its just a part of your laptop, if I know what it is it'll help me find out if it could be the reason your laptop is slow. Also that page should tell you how much 'RAM' or 'Memory' you laptop has.
if it is running windows (8.x or 10), it can be remedies using disk cleanup. I did it on my 4 and a bit year old laptop, my surface rt and my desktop and it worked a treat (especially the surface rt which I managed to clear up over 15 gb...from a 64gb model).

disk cleanup on windows 10 is quite easy, just type it into the cortana search bar, wait for it to retrieve files and then select temporary internet files, temporary files, thumbnails, recycle bin for all users (there are other options but deleting them can be problematic for regular use. system dump files can be useful if your laptop breaks down / u need tech support to access it (but if you backup u can delete it and save gigabytes).

windows 8.x products are slightly different: open the charm bar (the bar which appears if you move mouse / swipe right), select the search icon, select settings and type cleanup. multiple options turn up but select the one which is for unwanted files. afterwards it is the same as windows 10.

if it is a mac, id say contact apple care / go to a "genius" bar as unix based systems (macOS, Linux in this context) generally tend to cleanup themselves. just in case, do a manual cleanup.

overall, id say try the cleanup option, in addition to deleting all unecessary files (empty recycling bin, get rid of downloads which have been uploaded - do this before cleanup), make sure all drivers are up to date and if everything has been done, it is component related. but cleanup is generally the likely solution from personal experience with the surface rt, laptop and desktop
Yeah so that laptop can do the same nahhhh

Best advice:
you need a new/clean reinstal of windows. Delete everything.
Original post by Wibblywobblyhard

Yes, I agree downloading RAM is the most efficient and effective way of speeding your laptop.
What can i do? Sometimes i'd be watching a video and the video freezes but you can hear the sound and so i can hear everything but can't see it for like 2 minutes then it works and i'd have to go back to the beggining of the video cause i heard it when it wasnt moving

Download a free anti-virus software e.g Avast or AVG
Uninstall unused programs via control panel
Delete files you do not want via my computer
Run a disk cleanup via start>programs>accessories>syste m tools>disk clean up
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending