The Student Room Group

What are your unpopular food opinions?

Scroll to see replies

Cheese on fruit cake. I've been trying to get my dad to try it for years, but he won't. Seriously. Brie on a piece of Christmas cake :coma:

Also cheese (preferably Stilton) on steak, which I know some people like but most people don't realize that's a thing. Rare steak with some Stilton melted on top, scrambled eggs, and good chips.

Don't understand the thing with strawberries, especially jam. Raspberries are nicer, though bilberries make the nicest jam. Don't know if that's a thing that's unpopular though, people might agree with me.

Chips. They have to be done perfectly or I'm not interested. Probably this is because of having chips badly made by my mother for most of my life (FFS DON'T JUST CUT POTATOES INTO COLD FAT). For the record I can make tolerable chips.

American cheese. My ex-fiancée didn't get how I could eat it, especially given that I'm into cheese properly, and know of and like a lot of different ones. She always said that American cheese and cheese spreads (like Primula) are just cheap imitations, but I'm of the belief that every cheese has its place and its use, even the cheap imitations.

I don't like Coca-Cola - unless either I've eaten very salty/fatty pizza or I'm high. Or, conceivably, both.

I drink absinthe prepared properly, not as a shot. I also don't like Scotch; it tastes like vinegar. Then again I drink to enjoy the taste, not to get drunk.

Potatoes are ********. At least with pasta someone thought, 'I know what I'll do because bread is boring, I'll boil strips of dough instead of baking it.' Potatoes are justt random soil cancers that someone dug up one day and thought it would be a good idea to nom on them :colonhash:

Actually I would prefer to eat at about this time. Because I have IBS I can't eat breakfast until very late, and I work best when I eat little and often anyway, so if I got up at 7AM I'd be best eating at 10AM, 2PM, 5PM, 8PM, and maybe something small (like soup) at 10 or 11PM if I'm still up and get hungry.

And sprouts are nice, but only when cooked properly. If they're cooked wrong they smell and taste like fart, but if they're done nicely and served with a little butter and pepper (which is also how I like my cabbage), they're awesome.

Original post by RainbowMan
I will say it out loud 'cos for too long have I hidden in the darkness.

Here it is: TEA SUCKS. It's tasteless, watery, odourless or foul smelling (e.g. the Earl Grey variety smells like old people), useless drink. Coffee pumps you up, it has body, it has rich taste, it smells incredible - especially freshly ground coffee. In fact, newer generations of Brits have started to realise this and they are ditching it for good 'ol coffee. Americanisation is complete.
You've never had tea made properly. If it's tasteless, watery, and odourless, then you've only ever had it made be some knobstick who thinks all they need to do is waft a teabag through the steam coming out of the cup.

Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
I love Marmite and Cheese toasties.

And once as a dare I ate Burger King fries dipped in whipped cream. It was actually pretty nice.
I LOVE YOU :woo:

Here's one I do: grate some extra-mature Cheddar and mix it with some Marmite and some mayonnaise, with some pepper or chilli flakes. Then toast that mother up. You'll thank me :coma:

Original post by cherryred90s
i dont lamb chops, not a fan of steak.
Nandos is super overrated also.
****ing is. Expensive, badly cooked, and doesn't actually taste of anything.
Cabbage and parsnips are two of the tastiest things to eat. I can sit down and eat a small cabbage. No cooking, no seasoning, just delicious cabbage. And parsnips, when you peel them then smell them they're divine. Sometimes I just stand in the kitchen sniffing them for a good few minutes. :daydreaming:

Original post by Tootles
American cheese. My ex-fiancée didn't get how I could eat it, especially given that I'm into cheese properly, and know of and like a lot of different ones. She always said that American cheese and cheese spreads (like Primula) are just cheap imitations, but I'm of the belief that every cheese has its place and its use, even the cheap imitations.

Even:

Spoiler

?

I'm no cheese snob (and actually love those cheese slices - I buy them for burgers but usually end up eating them straight out the fridge) BUT cheese in a can is gross. I went to Steak n Shake and once thought "hmm I'm not in the mood for a burger but loaded fries sound good". It was a mistake. :no: The bacon was good, the fries were good but the cheese, dear god it made me want to puke,
- I don't like chocolate milk or chocolate ice cream. Or Ben and Jerry's ice cream. Give me plain vanilla (or strawberry) any day.
- Nandos is overrated. Much prefer KFC
- Rare steak is yuck. Prefer well done. (or incinerated as someone once said!)

Not a huge fan generally of desserts.
I hate bacon, eggs, butter and salt. Plain chips are the best.
Original post by Tiger Rag
- I don't like chocolate milk or chocolate ice cream. Or Ben and Jerry's ice cream. Give me plain vanilla (or strawberry) any day.
- Nandos is overrated. Much prefer KFC
- Rare steak is yuck. Prefer well done. (or incinerated as someone once said!)

Not a huge fan generally of desserts.

That's definitely a controversial one! :eek3:

What about them don't you like?
Original post by shadowdweller
That's definitely a controversial one! :eek3:

What about them don't you like?

I generally prefer savoury food. I sometimes feel that some desserts (like the ones you get if you eat out) just have far too crammed into them. It's never just "chocolate brownie and ice cream". it has to come with chocolate sauce and a strawberry as well. Is it too much to ask that I just have a brownie with some plain ice cream, please?
Of course I do. :wink:
I generally prefer savoury food. I sometimes feel that some desserts (like the ones you get if you eat out) just have far too crammed into them. It's never just "chocolate brownie and ice cream". it has to come with chocolate sauce and a strawberry as well. Is it too much to ask that I just have a brownie with some plain ice cream, please?

Hmm, I can see your point there! i quite like the extras (within reason) but they're definitely crammed in sometimes :lol:
TBH i get so much hate for not liking pizza or cheese, IMO they are just so horrible and over rated lol. SORRY! :smile:
Reply 69
I hate Jaffa cakes...
Reply 70
Original post by Shann998
TBH i get so much hate for not liking pizza or cheese, IMO they are just so horrible and over rated lol. SORRY! :smile:

Admin pls ban her!
Original post by AOG1

Hate white bread

I much prefer brown bread too. It actually has a decent taste to it.
Original post by Zoliii
Admin pls ban her!

Tempting :mmm:

Then again, you hate jaffa cakes, is that really so much better? :tongue:
I think the majority of the food in the videos the facebook "Tasty" page make look horrible, way too much cheese (and I love cheese) and oil, and overly sweet and full of crap when they make desserts.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SophieSmall
I think the majority of the food in the videos the facebook "Tasty" page make look horrible, way too much cheese (and I love cheese) and oil, and overly sweet and full of crap when they make desserts.

I'm not that keen on them either. They sometimes take something perfectly ok and turn it into something rather gross.
I'm not that keen on them either. They sometimes take something perfectly ok and turn it into something rather gross.

Yeah they do that a lot, some of the stuff makes me feel a bit sick just looking at it. Because I can anticipate just how gross it would make me feel.
Original post by SophieSmall

Yeah that page is shocking! Everybody arguing in the comments section about authenticity and tbh, rightly so.

Also, the amount of no-bake cheesecakes they make? Ugh
Reply 77
Original post by shadowdweller
Tempting :mmm:

Then again, you hate jaffa cakes, is that really so much better? :tongue:

True... lol but cheese.... xD
Original post by UWS
Rare steak sucks.

I have to agree with that one.
I prefer mine cremated.
Am i the only one who hates cheese and potato pie?

Quick Reply

Latest