The Student Room Group

How can I go about changing from single to joint honours before starting university.

(Could not find the appropriate category for this)

Hey I initially applied to do BA English at
Bristol (rejected), Nottingham (offer), Manchester (offer), Birmingham (offer) and Southampton (still waiting).

I want to switch to doing English with Philosophy joint honours, and as you can see I am at the stage before I pick my firm and insurance (still waiting for Southampton). How could I go about changing my course?
Original post by Loopy91

Bristol (rejected), Nottingham (offer), Manchester (offer), Birmingham (offer) and Southampton (still waiting).

I want to switch to doing English with Philosophy joint honours, and as you can see I am at the stage before I pick my firm and insurance (still waiting for Southampton). How could I go about changing my course?

I don't think Manchester does an English and Philosophy degree by the way.

I suggest you informally approach Nottingham, Birmingham and Southampton (ideally by phone, always better to ask in person), tell them you would like to switch to English and Philosophy and see what they say. They might be happy to switch you there and then, or they may say you'll have to wait until after you've chosen (and met the conditions for) your firm place. Either way, you need to find out if they allow people to switch degrees before you pick a firm.
Reply 2
Original post by Loopy91

Original post by Snufkin

I suggest you informally approach Nottingham, Birmingham and Southampton (ideally by phone, always better to ask in person), tell them you would like to switch to English and Philosophy and see what they say. They might be happy to switch you there and then, or they may say you'll have to wait until after you've chosen (and met the conditions for) your firm place. Either way, you need to find out if they allow people to switch degrees before you pick a firm.

I managed to switch from Econ to Econ and Maths at Surrey this week, with very little issue. Usually, they'll refer your application to the AT again if you meet the initial application requirements.

I emailed initially and then was asked to send a signed letter via post confirming everything. UCAS should update tomorrow.
Reply 3
Original post by jamestg
I managed to switch from Econ to Econ and Maths at Surrey this week, with very little issue. Usually, they'll refer your application to the AT again if you meet the initial application requirements.

I emailed initially and then was asked to send a signed letter via post confirming everything. UCAS should update tomorrow.

Was that it? Did you not have to do like a separate personal statement on maths or something. Who did you email exactly? Did you have to make the change for the other universities you applied for?

Original post by Snufkin

I know they don't, I was just saying what I applied for. Thanks for the advice. Would I need to do like a separate personal statement or convince them why I like philosophy?
Original post by Loopy91
I know they don't, I was just saying what I applied for. Thanks for the advice. Would I need to do like a separate personal statement or convince them why I like philosophy?

You might need to explain your interest in philosophy, but you almost certainly wouldn't need to submit a second PS.
Reply 5
Original post by Loopy91
Was that it? Did you not have to do like a separate personal statement on maths or something. Who did you email exactly? Did you have to make the change for the other universities you applied for?

Didn't have to contact other unis.

Emailed admissions department.

No extra personal statement. Just a sentence or two about why the change of course and that I meet the requirements.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by jamestg
Didn't have to contact other unis.

Emailed admissions department.

No extra personal statement. Just a sentence or two about why the change of course and that I meet the requirements.

Thank you.

Why didn't you have to contact other unis? Was it because you already firmed/insured Surrey, or you applied for economics and maths at other universities?
Reply 7
Original post by Loopy91
Thank you.

Why didn't you have to contact other unis? Was it because you already firmed/insured Surrey, or you applied for economics and maths at other universities?

You don't have to contact other unis because what you do with one uni is irrelevant to the remaining four :smile:

I haven't insured Surrey, but I will do when I hear back from Warwick and UCAS updates with the change in course.
Reply 8
Original post by jamestg
You don't have to contact other unis because what you do with one uni is irrelevant to the remaining four :smile:

I haven't insured Surrey, but I will do when I hear back from Warwick and UCAS updates with the change in course.

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to ask. I'm assuming you applied for straight Economics for all five of the universities. You said you wanted to change it to a joint honours with Maths. So why didn't you contact all the other universities about your choice change, because I assume that's the course you want to do regardless of which university you go to out of your five? Do you get what I'm trying to say? I was basically asking if you wanted to change course, why did you only let one of your universities know instead of all of them, because surely you would want to do Economics with Maths regardless of which university you ended up at.
Reply 9
Original post by Loopy91
I think you misunderstood what I was trying to ask. I'm assuming you applied for straight Economics for all five of the universities. You said you wanted to change it to a joint honours with Maths. So why didn't you contact all the other universities about your choice change, because I assume that's the course you want to do regardless of which university you go to out of your five? Do you get what I'm trying to say? I was basically asking if you wanted to change course, why did you only let one of your universities know instead of all of them, because surely you would want to do Economics with Maths regardless of which university you ended up at.

I'm fixed now on only Durham as my firm and Surrey as my insurance, so there's no point contacting my other choices. I haven't chosen to do Maths and Econ at Durham because I don't meet the requirements (no FM) and I want to make my insurance choice more interesting. I don't want it to be a 'second-best' if ygm, it's got to have something going for it that I'd be happy to take up.

Plus at Surrey, it's not possible to change from Econ to Econ and Maths when you start the course but you can change from Econ and Maths to just Econ. So it's nice to have the flexibility.
Reply 10
Original post by jamestg
I'm fixed now on only Durham as my firm and Surrey as my insurance, so there's no point contacting my other choices. I haven't chosen to do Maths and Econ at Durham because I don't meet the requirements (no FM) and I want to make my insurance choice more interesting. I don't want it to be a 'second-best' if ygm, it's got to have something going for it that I'd be happy to take up.

Plus at Surrey, it's not possible to change from Econ to Econ and Maths when you start the course but you can change from Econ and Maths to just Econ. So it's nice to have the flexibility.

Oh okay, thanks for your help 😊
Reply 11
Update: I've emailed Nottingham and they transferred me no questions asked. It was really that simple. I've emailed Birmingham a few days ago and they STILL haven't got back to me 😣
Southampton have asked me to provide a second personal statement about philosophy ... ugh!!
Original post by Loopy91
Update: I've emailed Nottingham and they transferred me no questions asked. It was really that simple. I've emailed Birmingham a few days ago and they STILL haven't got back to me 😣
Southampton have asked me to provide a second personal statement about philosophy ... ugh!!

If you ended up doing English and Philosophy could you inform me of what you think of the course? I've been offered it at Nottingham although I originally applied to just English. Cheers

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending