The Student Room Group

salford vs UOM for Nursing degree

There are mixed opinions on which university is best for nursing, so far i have heard that UOM is too academic for nursing since nursing is a practical course. But it is a Russel group and you will be looked at a higher person, also the city life is really good! especially for shopping :smile:
Salford is a more friendly and practical uni, but the area and city is SAID to be dangerous, and its not a Russel group.
Which one do I choose?

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I am currently at Salford studying Nursing.

First things with a nursing degree you really won't be looked at as a higher person like some other degrees as all the NHS and private employers want is someone who would make an excellent nurse and that you have the PIN number to go with it.

Secondly although Manchester has a fantastic reputation with academic courses I haven't really heard good things regarding the nursing course. This is because Manchester puts all the emphasis on the academic side rather than the practical side. I am a first year student but also work as a healthcare assistant and I was working with a girl who was third year at Manchester and I basically spent my shift answering all her questions regarding catheters and basic care as she said she didn't know much regarding clinical skills as Manchester didn't really put any emphasis on that.

About the area being unsafe I don't think it is. It's as safe as anywhere these days. You will mainly be based between allerton and Mary seacole buildings the same as me I assume and they are in the same campus practically next to each other.

Also the new sim labs are fab. Salford have just opened a ward in the Mary seacole building for us student nurses.
Reply 2
Original post by Gemma1990x
Hi, I am currently at Salford studying Nursing.

First things with a nursing degree you really won't be looked at as a higher person like some other degrees as all the NHS and private employers want is someone who would make an excellent nurse and that you have the PIN number to go with it.

Secondly although Manchester has a fantastic reputation with academic courses I haven't really heard good things regarding the nursing course. This is because Manchester puts all the emphasis on the academic side rather than the practical side. I am a first year student but also work as a healthcare assistant and I was working with a girl who was third year at Manchester and I basically spent my shift answering all her questions regarding catheters and basic care as she said she didn't know much regarding clinical skills as Manchester didn't really put any emphasis on that.

About the area being unsafe I don't think it is. It's as safe as anywhere these days. You will mainly be based between allerton and Mary seacole buildings the same as me I assume and they are in the same campus practically next to each other.

Also the new sim labs are fab. Salford have just opened a ward in the Mary seacole building for us student nurses.

thank you so much x ... that has helped me alot! do you enjoy your time at salford?? whats its like?
It's really good although I'm not your typical student as I'm 26 so didn't really get involved in the whole freshers thing but I know they put lots of things on during that time. The curriculum has changed since I started so if you went to Salford you would be on a new curriculum which is obviously supposed to have all the latest teaching etc.

There's lots of support too. A few of my friends are dyslexic and they've had lots of adjustments with their assignments and exams etc.
Reply 4
It's really good although I'm not your typical student as I'm 26 so didn't really get involved in the whole freshers thing but I know they put lots of things on during that time. The curriculum has changed since I started so if you went to Salford you would be on a new curriculum which is obviously supposed to have all the latest teaching etc.

There's lots of support too. A few of my friends are dyslexic and they've had lots of adjustments with their assignments and exams etc.

aww thanks you :smile: and yeh im sure its changed.. do you have ay tips for the interview?
Original post by Afra_99
There are mixed opinions on which university is best for nursing, so far i have heard that UOM is too academic for nursing since nursing is a practical course. But it is a Russel group and you will be looked at a higher person, also the city life is really good! especially for shopping :smile:
Salford is a more friendly and practical uni, but the area and city is SAID to be dangerous, and its not a Russel group.
Which one do I choose?

Hey Afra,

I was at Salford Uni for four years and very few issues with the local people, with regards to the shopping/night life at Salford Uni, you will spend most of your leisure time in Manchester anyway as it is only a 10 minute bus ride from the main salford campus. One of the perks of the uni is its proximity to Manchester!

Whilst I can't go into too much detail about the current facilities at Salford, I do remember taking tours around the Mary Seacole building and admiring the modern and up to date wards and equipment. It really is quite exceptional!
Reply 6
Original post by RedPanda114
Hey Afra,

I was at Salford Uni for four years and very few issues with the local people, with regards to the shopping/night life at Salford Uni, you will spend most of your leisure time in Manchester anyway as it is only a 10 minute bus ride from the main salford campus. One of the perks of the uni is its proximity to Manchester!

Whilst I can't go into too much detail about the current facilities at Salford, I do remember taking tours around the Mary Seacole building and admiring the modern and up to date wards and equipment. It really is quite exceptional!

yeh thats actually true.. ill be going manchester every day LoL
How was your time at Uni?
Original post by Afra_99
yeh thats actually true.. ill be going manchester every day LoL
How was your time at Uni?

Hey Afra,

I had an awesome time at Salford Uni, the nursing aspect of the Uni has fantastic facilites and the University itself has received massive upgrades the past 10 years.

We very rarely went into Salford itself, only for food shopping and such, most of our free time was spent chilling in Manchester.
Hi Afra

I came across this thread and i just wanted to put my opinions across.

Forgive me if i seem biased, but I am a first year student studying at the University of Manchester, I came straight out of sixth form to uni to study Child Nursing and I don't regret the University of Manchester at all. Although I am just starting placement and just entering the 2nd Semester, I don't really know what the timetable is like for Salford Nursing Students, but for Manchester I do believe it is more academically as I've only just started my first placement last week, and ever since then, i've just been to lectures, but like i said before i haven't seen the salford nursing timetable so I can't compare.

Personally I don't see anything wrong with Manchester being 'more academic' because throughout the 3 year course, we will obviously go on more placements and get the right experience, so that shouldn't be an issue. If anything, I find it a good thing because as well as the 'textbook knowledge' it gives you, it also gives you more time to have a 'student life', i.e, go out, have more time to get involved with activites and societies, etc. before placements kicks in as you will probably be working 8 hr shifts (which can be tiring at times) whereas lectures you'll be in for a lot less hours.

Its up to you though
Like I said Manchester is great, especially if you want a student life before placements kick in.
Good Luck for your interviews.
Reply 9
Original post by STU_Nurse101
Hi Afra

Forgive me if i seem biased, but I am a first year student studying at the University of Manchester, I came straight out of sixth form to uni to study Child Nursing and I don't regret the University of Manchester at all. Although I am just starting placement and just entering the 2nd Semester, I don't really know what the timetable is like for Salford Nursing Students, but for Manchester I do believe it is more academically as I've only just started my first placement last week, and ever since then, i've just been to lectures, but like i said before i haven't seen the salford nursing timetable so I can't compare.

Personally I don't see anything wrong with Manchester being 'more academic' because throughout the 3 year course, we will obviously go on more placements and get the right experience, so that shouldn't be an issue. If anything, I find it a good thing because as well as the 'textbook knowledge' it gives you, it also gives you more time to have a 'student life', i.e, go out, have more time to get involved with activites and societies, etc. before placements kicks in as you will probably be working 8 hr shifts (which can be tiring at times) whereas lectures you'll be in for a lot less hours.

Its up to you though
Like I said Manchester is great, especially if you want a student life before placements kick in.

thank you so much for your opinions,, im still debating, my parents want me to go to manchester because it is a safer place and a really good uni! and i dont mind but im still confused lol. btw how is negative marking? is it as bad as everyone claims it to be

And do you have any tips for my interview at manchester?
Tbh you shouldn't really be picking a uni based on the area, unless you are going to be living in student accommodation. Anywhere can be dangerous if you're in the wrong place at the wrong time. Choose a Uni based on its graduate prospects and the opinions others give about it, but yes i suppose the uni is a safe place.

Negative Marking depends on the university professor grading your assessments. You can always ask to see your marker and talk about your grade/ feedback and they may even change it. Most reasons why your grade decreases is because of errors in referencing, so a great tip before coming to the university of Manchester is to learn how to do Harvard style referencing and citations.

Just be yourself, I know that sounds cliche, but if you are passionate about nursing that should come though in your personality naturally. I can't tell you specific questions/details they ask in the interview but wherever you can talk about the 6 C's and 'The Code' (NMC) (they love that) and how that applies to you. And also be confidence! Sit up straight and smile. Also shake the interviewers hands when you first enter the room, just to be polite. Follow all these things and you can't go wrong.

Good Luck
Reply 11
Tbh you shouldn't really be picking a uni based on the area, unless you are going to be living in student accommodation. Anywhere can be dangerous if you're in the wrong place at the wrong time. Choose a Uni based on its graduate prospects and the opinions others give about it, but yes i suppose the uni is a safe place.

Negative Marking depends on the university professor grading your assessments. You can always ask to see your marker and talk about your grade/ feedback and they may even change it. Most reasons why your grade decreases is because of errors in referencing, so a great tip before coming to the university of Manchester is to learn how to do Harvard style referencing and citations.

Just be yourself, I know that sounds cliche, but if you are passionate about nursing that should come though in your personality naturally. I can't tell you specific questions/details they ask in the interview but wherever you can talk about the 6 C's and 'The Code' (NMC) (they love that) and how that applies to you. And also be confidence! Sit up straight and smile. Also shake the interviewers hands when you first enter the room, just to be polite. Follow all these things and you can't go wrong.

Good Luck

thank you so much for the advise and help.. i did my interview and got a conditional offer from manchester!!! im hoping to got there :smile: lets hope i do well in my a levels lol.

Thank you x
Reply 12
i also got my conditional offer, is it for adult nursing? x
Reply 13
Original post by Paigemc
i also got my conditional offer, is it for adult nursing? x

no it was for child nursing,
when was your interview x mine was on the 10th of February in the morning
Reply 14
interview on the 2nd feb, offer on the 14th x
Reply 15
Original post by Paigemc
interview on the 2nd feb, offer on the 14th x

same here i got my offer 4 days after.. if you plan to go to manchester then our lectures would be in the same room
Reply 16

Hi i just got my offer to start in september.. also a mature student! What does the timetable typically look like for the first year and also do you have a say in where you do your placement or is it just wherever they tell you x
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Afra_99
thank you so much for the advise and help.. i did my interview and got a conditional offer from manchester!!! im hoping to got there :smile: lets hope i do well in my a levels lol.

Thank you x

Congrats! Hopefully you'll be here in September then. Good luck in your A levels!
Reply 18
Congrats! Hopefully you'll be here in September then. Good luck in your A levels!

thank you x
Hi Afra

Its up to you though

I know it’s been a while, I’m glad I read this. I have an upcoming interview for uom and i was scared I wouldn’t mingle and make friends as a student nurse! Can I ask how your placements are? When did you start your placement, was your timetable a few times a week in university then placement or were they block weeks? Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending