The Student Room Group

Help! Gcse grades issue!!

I'm a 2018 entry applicant currently in Year 12. I will be applying to UKCAT universities. My achieved GCSE grades are:
4A* , 3 distinction* ,2A, 2B.
Predicted A level grades: A*A*A (maths, chemistry and biology).

I am kind of worried about the btecs as i think they will not consider or accept them condsidering that I have already achieve 8 A* to C. :eek:
Will university count the BTEC as 7A* or am I just at a disadvantage being that my school offered many BTECs. Do i have a strong shot at medicine or is there something else that ill need to do to be a strong candidate. And, what universities would any of you recommended that I apply to?

I really need some help and advice.
Reply 1
Original post by TracyEmu
I'm a 2018 entry applicant currently in Year 12. I will be applying to UKCAT universities. My achieved GCSE grades are:
4A* , 3 distinction* ,2A, 2B.
Predicted A level grades: A*A*A (maths, chemistry and biology).

I am kind of worried about the btecs as i think they will not consider or accept them condsidering that I have already achieve 8 A* to C. :eek:
Will university count the BTEC as 7A* or am I just at a disadvantage being that my school offered many BTECs. Do i have a strong shot at medicine or is there something else that ill need to do to be a strong candidate. And, what universities would any of you recommended that I apply to?

I really need some help and advice.

I don't believe that medical schools accept/take into account BTECs, especially as you already have enough GCSEs. Take a look at the entry requirements for each university and how they use your GCSE score (there's a lot to look though, otherwise I'd do it for you).

http://www.medschools.ac.uk/SiteCollectionDocuments/MSC-Entry-requirements-for-UK-medical-schools.pdf

Your grades are definitely enough for medicine. However, there is a lot more to it, as I'm sure you know! To make your application competitive, you also need to do well in the UKCAT/BMAT and write a strong personal statement based off volunteering or work experience that you've done. Some unis don't look at the personal statement so consider applying to them as a back up!
Reply 2
Original post by ax12
I don't believe that medical schools accept/take into account BTECs, especially as you already have enough GCSEs. Take a look at the entry requirements for each university and how they use your GCSE score (there's a lot to look though, otherwise I'd do it for you).

http://www.medschools.ac.uk/SiteCollectionDocuments/MSC-Entry-requirements-for-UK-medical-schools.pdf

Your grades are definitely enough for medicine. However, there is a lot more to it, as I'm sure you know! To make your application competitive, you also need to do well in the UKCAT/BMAT and write a strong personal statement based off volunteering or work experience that you've done. Some unis don't look at the personal statement so consider applying to them as a back up!

Thank you very much!! I found it quite useful

Sent from my ST26i using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending