No, no it is not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Conzy210
No, no it is not.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ok
if you are Indian yes lol unfortunately
Original post by CookieButter
the lowest salary is around 20k which is -200% that of the lowest salary for medicine.....it's crazy..

Yes, because medics are basically guaranteed jobs in medicine.

No-one has ever made the equivalent claim for law students.
ok

?
What are you trying to argue?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Odd....I'm sure you understand what upper quartile means. So I am not going to explain it. This data includes every single graduate from every single university in the UK....the upper quartile, the highest salary for graduates of law is around 33K.......The lowest salary for students of medicine is around 40k

EDIT : Apologies I misread the graph. so its not double that of law but 125% that of law which is still a HUGE difference ...the inter quartile range for law is quiet big too...the lowest salary is around 20k which is -200% that of the lowest salary for medicine.....it's crazy..

I think what you're struggling to understand is that solicitors salaries vary enormously, in a some cases someone practicing for three years could very easily out-earn someone who's been practicing for thirty. Looking at the average salary is useless when you're arguing what lawyers 'can' make. Look at this table, the third row is the salary offered after five years, most doctors will never earn anything close:
www.rollonfriday.com/InsideInfo/UKCityFirms/tabid/68/Default.aspx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
?
What are you trying to argue?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That I don't want to argue.

(to understand what this is all about start at comment 210 and read the replies)
Original post by Underscore__
I think what you're struggling to understand is that solicitors salaries vary enormously, in a some cases someone practicing for three years could very easily out-earn someone who's been practicing for thirty. Looking at the average salary is useless when you're arguing what lawyers 'can' make. Look at this table, the third row is the salary offered after five years, most doctors will never earn anything close:
www.rollonfriday.com/InsideInfo/UKCityFirms/tabid/68/Default.aspx

Posted from TSR Mobile

These aren't averages!!!! The data in the graph shows the median and upper and lower quartiles for ALL SALARIES (after 5 years) for graduates of 2008/09...What is it about quartiles that you do not understand???!!!????? What is it about this graph showing ALL the salaries for ALL graduates that you are failing to understand? DAMN IT!! I GIVE UP!!!
(edited 7 years ago)
These aren't averages!!!! The data in the graph shows the median and upper and lower quartiles for ALL SALARIES (after 5 years) for graduates of 2008/09...What is it about quartiles that you do not understand???!!!????? What is it about this graph showing ALL the salaries for ALL graduates that you are failing to understand? DAMN IT!! I GIVE UP!!!

You're embarrassing yourself. Your interpretation of the data you gave is flatly contradicted by absolute facts about earnings in commercial law firms given by other posters and yet somehow you haven't worked out that you've gone wrong somewhere. The problem is that you don't appear to understand (a) how the graph you cited works or (b) what a quartile is.

Here is an annotated version of a basic box plot from BBC Bitesize:

Original post by TimmonaPortella
You're embarrassing yourself. Your interpretation of the data you gave is flatly contradicted by absolute facts about earnings in commercial law firms given by other posters and yet somehow you haven't worked out that you've gone wrong somewhere. The problem is that you don't appear to understand (a) how the graph you cited works or (b) what a quartile is.

Here is an annotated version of a basic box plot from BBC Bitesize:

Do you understand English? how does your reply contradict/disagree with what I wrote?
(edited 7 years ago)
Do you understand english? how does your reply contradict what I wrote?

The graph you gave does not show all salaries for all graduates. What it actually shows is the 25th and 75th percentiles (the first and third quartiles), along with the median salary.

Therefore the following statement is completely wrong.

the upper quartile, the highest salary for graduates of law is around 33K

And one might have thought this apparent from the fact that trainee salaries in city firms are typically 40k and higher.
The graph you gave does not show all salaries for all graduates. What it actually shows is the 25th and 75th percentiles (the first and third quartiles), along with the median salary.

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I WROTE YOU IMBECILE!!!.....he wrote that these were averages. My reply is that these are not averages but figures for all salaries within the QUARTILES....the lower QUARTILE being representative of the lowest salary within that quartile as apposed to an average which is what he thought it was and which in turn is roughly speaking -200% that of the LOWER QUARTILE for medicine. Hence, my statement that "Law is a pretty bad choice so far as earnings and employment prospects are concerned relative to other subjects."

And one might have thought this apparent from the fact that trainee salaries in city firms are typically 40k and higher.

Firstly, give me a reference for this 'fact' of yours. Secondly, I keep having to repeat myself every single time someone new comes in....but even if this figure of '40k or higher' was correct it is not representative...as evidenced by the graph and I wrote this before....when talking about typical salaries shouldn't you be referring to the typical salaries for law students as represented by the data, by the graph? You are preaching maths to me. Take a leaf out of your own book and look at the graph when talking about typical salaries!!!
(edited 7 years ago)
The highest you could possibly earn, after 5 years from graduating, as a law graduate, is half that of the lowest income for a medical student....

This data includes every single graduate from every single university in the UK.... the highest salary for graduates of law is around 33K.......

This is what people, myself included, were correcting.

Firstly, give me a reference for this 'fact' of yours.

http://www.legalcheek.com/the-legal-cheek-top-firms-most-list/

Or, you know, google it

Or click the link which Underscore__ kindly provided you with in post 230.
Facepalm at the misunderstanding/ stupidity over salaries.
(You intentionally took out the bits about quartiles preceding those quotes to make it sound like I was wrong....that is so shallow...)

This is what people, myself included, were correcting.

People like yourself who do not understand English or Underscore who thinks that these are averages? Get the hell out!... A piece of advice....keep your insults to the conclusion of your argument next time such that they are based on fact as apposed to a misunderstanding on your part.. otherwise you wind up embarrassing yourself as apposed the person you are debating.

http://www.legalcheek.com/the-legal-cheek-top-firms-most-list/ Or, you know, google it

If you make a claim the onus is on you to reference it.....logic 101...

Or click the link which Underscore__ kindly provided you with in post 230.

Your claims are different. You are talking 'typical' salaries for trainees within city firms and he is talking about typical salaries for all law students....According to him and his reference, graduates of law earn in excess of 60k a year after 5 years from graduating....regardless, both of your claims are far from reality....compare your reference and his to the typical salaries for graduates of law in the graph......You know what? just get the hell out....
(edited 7 years ago)

Your claims are different. You are talking 'typical' salaries for trainees within city firms and he is talking about typical salaries for all law students....According to him and his reference, graduates of law earn in excess of 60k a year after 5 years from graduating....regardless, both of your claims are far from reality....compare your reference and his to the typical salaries for graduates of law in the graph......You know what? just get the hell out....

you do know the majority of law students don't go into law? and looking at the average is pointless because of how dispersed law graduates (or even any graduate of any degree) are in the job market.. anyone could literally be doing anything and you look at it as some definitive notion of 'career prospects' which seems a bit silly to me.

career prospects is an individual measure and really cannot be aggregated in today's economy where what most employers look for is just 'any' degree in their cv screens.

you're comparing the salary of doctors (which is what 99% of medicine grads become and is fixed for the most part) to the salary of graduates holding all sorts of jobs at all sorts of levels in all sorts of companies in a variety of locations.. does that not sound dumb?

anyway, there are law (and non-law) grads making £40k+ as first year trainees at leading firms, there are law grads making £25k on grad schemes, there are law grads making £10k as baristas..

EDIT: referring back to your post the 'maximum' salary of a lawyer (law grad or non-law doesn't matter) after the time period you gave is false.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

You originally said:

"The highest you could possibly earn, after 5 years from graduating, as a law graduate, is half that of the lowest income for a medical student"

When someone says the highest you could possibly earn they aren't talking about averages.

Posted from TSR Mobile
if you do law at a top RG university then no.

if you do it at london met then yes
Yes. I am the law. I make The law. I enforce The law. I run the streets. You might have Heard of me. I am The law. You're degrees are useless, I am The all knowing And The all powerful Great Wizard of Oz. I am connected to my Friends like telepathy we make each others scentences And finish each others paragraphs. I reiterate; your degrees are useless. I am The law.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ayyy2
if you do law at a top RG university then no.

if you do it at london met then yes

Even if you do law at a lesser university it can still be useful. I have a few friends who did law at unis that aren't RG (Sussex and Kent) and have training contracts at small firms. It's never going to make you a millionaire but you'll still end up on way above the average salary

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending