The Student Room Group

Lonely in university

I've been in university for nearly three years now and I'm in my last semester. I have only made one friend and she's my roommate. My roommate now has a boyfriend and she stays at his place five days out of the week. I'm happy for her , but it made me realize how alone I am now. During classes my professors mostly lecture and do not use time for group work. I feel like the classroom time cannot be used to make friends. At the gym people rarely talk. When I eat I try to speak and sit with as many people as possible but during lunch or breakfast the time spent is usually twenty minutes or so not enough time to grab someone's number for later. Going to the cinema is the same and conversation is limited even when my roommate brings extra people with her and I get invited along. Where/how can I meet friends in university? Some advice please.
(edited 7 years ago)
Have you been to any societies/club?

After 3 years, I find it hard to believe you've only made 1 friend, especially if you are actively involved in clubs/societies, etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Google22
Have you been to any societies/club?

After 3 years, I find it hard to believe you've only made 1 friend, especially if you are actively involved in clubs/societies, etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have tried to attend clubs that I am interested in, but most of them conflict with my school schedule or are on Mondays when my online class assigns the bulk of its homework.
Original post by Lilacflowers
I have tried to attend clubs that I am interested in, but most of them conflict with my school schedule or are on Mondays when my online class assigns the bulk of its homework.

Fair enough, it'd have helped if this was your first or second year as there would've been more time to make friends, but as this is your last semester, all I can say is just keep trying, go out and be yourself.
Reply 4
Original post by Google22
Fair enough, it'd have helped if this was your first or second year as there would've been more time to make friends, but as this is your last semester, all I can say is just keep trying, go out and be yourself.

Thanks.
Friends come and go. Don't stress about it. People can smell neediness as much as fear.
Reply 6
Thanks.
I've been in university for nearly three years now and I'm in my last semester. I have only made one friend and she's my roommate. My roommate now has a boyfriend and she stays at his place five days out of the week. I'm happy for her , but it made me realize how alone I am now. During classes my professors mostly lecture and do not use time for group work. I feel like the classroom time cannot be used to make friends. At the gym people rarely talk. When I eat I try to speak and sit with as many people as possible but during lunch or breakfast the time spent is usually twenty minutes or so not enough time to grab someone's number for later. Going to the cinema is the same and conversation is limited even when my roommate brings extra people with her and I get invited along. Where/how can I meet friends in university? Some advice please.

You should look out for anyone you see who is on their own because this is a common problem where not everyone is going to have a brilliant, fun time in uni,
Most people have a miserable, lonely experience and have no friends or not many too and those are the people you see sitting on their own wishing that someone would approach them first.
If you notice the same people who are always on their own then you should approach them or even at lunchtimes always just ask within 5 minutes if you can have people's number and arrange to go out for a meal, coffee, bar, club, cinema, etc even if it doesn't seem like the right time to ask because their busy talking just interrupt them because if you wait until the end of lunchtimes they will say they don't have time to exchange numbers because they will be late for class and then it will be easy for them to fob you off and say they'll give it to you later but they won't really
You have to be a little bit forceful by saying Let's exchange numbers instead of saying can I have your number or you can say what's your number on what's app then they can't refuse to give it. That worked on me when a bloke in my music class asked me for my what's app number but I didn't really want to give it to him but I did because he was very forward and did not say it in a grovelling way by asking can I have your number? So even after I left college and he is still there we still keep in contact by what's app and make plans to go different places or he invited me to watch him performing

Even if your not into church start going and don't be same by asking people there if they want to go out after church. Maybe church people will be ore up for making new friends but don't expect people to come to you because you have to make the first move. See if there is any people who attend church alone
I'm not into church but I have been ages times to church service in a cinema which was fun especially when there is a band playing but I can't be bothered to go out at 10am on Sundays otherwise I would go more often because it really can be a good way to meet others even if you're not religious and depending where you go some of them are fun or just try lots of different churches if you find one was boring
If you leave uni with no friends then consider the church option
My friend goes church every Sunday and whenni ask if he met anyone there he says no because there are families there or rolls just do their own thing which no think is such a shame but he needs to put himself out there and introduce himself to people and ask if he can join them inside and out of church but he's too shy to
But if he wants friends he has to go out side of his comfort zone and approach others instead of waiting for people to approach him which does not happen
But sometimes, not often he is invited to barbecues, weddings, and they even had a seminar where somebody came to tell them how they can make extra money which he was so excited about. I think people think that church is boring but it can actually be quite fun. I think anyone who is lonely should try it

Put your own advert up on the uni noticeboard asking for new friends

Type Citysocializer on Google and sign up with them to make new friends because when you leave uni it will be nice to have lots of people to hang out with and Citysocializer looks like a brilliant way to meet new people
Reply 8
Thank you for your ideas and I will try to speak to more people and be generally more decisive with the people that I meet.

I made a few spelling mistakes earlier so you will have to try to work out what I really meant
Don't worry it wasn't hard to follow.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending