The Student Room Group

GCSEs for a medicine career?

I have to decide my GCSEs soon so sorry for spamming a lot of questions.

I'm planning on taking
The 5 core subjects
Compulsory Subject which is Triple Science
Option choices which is Business Studies, French and Geography
Vocational subjects are Health and Social Care
I don't know what to pick now. I'm stuck!

I suck at Fine Art
I don't want to do Photography
I can't do Computer Science after picking Triple Science.
I hate dance
I'm too shy to do drama but I kind of want to do this but I suck at working in groups and im too shy like I said
Food Preparation and Nutrition isn't something that will help me in my future, I don't think so
Ethics, Philosophy and Morality is something I would hate to do
I hate History, but what careers and stuff would it help with?
I want to take Music but apparently you need to know an instrument which I don't and I'm confident in my voice.
PE is definitely NO
I want to take Spanish but I know nothing besides !Hola! !Me llamo sweetstars! pretend those are upside down exclamation marks

Vocational
Child Development - I hate children because they are loud and noisy, I don't see the point of being so loud, but it may help me if I want to be a nurse for children. If I'm helping them I think I'm fine, but the thought of being a teacher kills me because they're too loud and they don't care for their learning
DT Fashion and Textiles - I suck at this
DT graphics - maybe
Engineering- no I hate using the coping saw and other menacing machines
Health and Social Care - I want to pursue a medicine career so would this be good?
ICT - apparently it's towards the creative side like making websites and stuffs. i don't know if I like it or not?
Performing Arts - NO
Public Services - I may since I want to do nursing but it limit what I can do

Thanks! I need to pick one more option, either GCSE or reserved subjects
Original post by sweetstars
I have to decide my GCSEs soon so sorry for spamming a lot of questions.

I'm planning on taking
The 5 core subjects
Compulsory Subject which is Triple Science
Option choices which is Business Studies, French and Geography
Vocational subjects are Health and Social Care
I don't know what to pick now. I'm stuck!

I suck at Fine Art
I don't want to do Photography
I can't do Computer Science after picking Triple Science.
I hate dance
I'm too shy to do drama but I kind of want to do this but I suck at working in groups and im too shy like I said
Food Preparation and Nutrition isn't something that will help me in my future, I don't think so
Ethics, Philosophy and Morality is something I would hate to do
I hate History, but what careers and stuff would it help with?
I want to take Music but apparently you need to know an instrument which I don't and I'm confident in my voice.
PE is definitely NO
I want to take Spanish but I know nothing besides !Hola! !Me llamo sweetstars! pretend those are upside down exclamation marks

Vocational
Child Development - I hate children because they are loud and noisy, I don't see the point of being so loud, but it may help me if I want to be a nurse for children. If I'm helping them I think I'm fine, but the thought of being a teacher kills me because they're too loud and they don't care for their learning
DT Fashion and Textiles - I suck at this
DT graphics - maybe
Engineering- no I hate using the coping saw and other menacing machines
Health and Social Care - I want to pursue a medicine career so would this be good?
ICT - apparently it's towards the creative side like making websites and stuffs. i don't know if I like it or not?
Performing Arts - NO
Public Services - I may since I want to do nursing but it limit what I can do

Thanks! I need to pick one more option, either GCSE or reserved subjects

Doesn't matter, pick something you like - focus on getting as many A* grades as possible. It makes your choices more flexible
Most medical schools tend to count grades rather than the subjects (A-Level choices are comparatively more important).
I chose German (didn't have a choice-EBacc), Graphical Design, History and Geography.

But as the previous commenter said, It's really up to you- choose what you like and what you're good at.
As a GCSE and now A level (A2) historian, i couldn't tempt you to join the dark side could I? :smile:

p.s. I've got nothing against H+S care but I would advise you against choosing it for medicine (as in the degree of medicine and surgery). By all means choose it if you want to enter into a healthcare professional role but I would suggest that academic subjects may be more suited for medicine (or at least they are suited for building up the academic/knowledge/skills (such as essay writing) base before A-levels)

Hope that helps!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by cathasatail
Most medical schools tend to count grades rather than the subjects (A-Level choices are comparatively more important).
I chose German (didn't have a choice-EBacc), Graphical Design, History and Geography.

But as the previous commenter said, It's really up to you- choose what you like and what you're good at.
As a GCSE and now A level (A2) historian, i couldn't tempt you to join the dark side could I? :smile:

p.s. I've got nothing against H+S care but I would advise you against choosing it for medicine (as in the degree of medicine and surgery). By all means choose it if you want to enter into a healthcare professional role but I would suggest that academic subjects may be more suited for medicine (or at least they are suited for building up the academic/knowledge/skills (such as essay writing) base before A-levels)

Hope that helps!

Thanks. I mean I guess history isn't that bad but I suck at analysing sources and I'm not good with dead people, they make me so paranoid, no offence. Any advice for History because I may take it after all? Oh well, it's going to be on my reserve subjects anyway. I don't completely hate History, it's just in the middle subject, i dont hate or love it, just neutral. I need another reserve subject now. What else for medicine do you suggest?
Original post by sweetstars
Thanks. I mean I guess history isn't that bad but I suck at analysing sources and I'm not good with dead people, they make me so paranoid, no offence. Any advice for History because I may take it after all? Oh well, it's going to be on my reserve subjects anyway. I don't completely hate History, it's just in the middle subject, i dont hate or love it, just neutral. I need another reserve subject now. What else for medicine do you suggest?

Not good with dead people? Are you sure medicine is the right career? :wink:

Advice for history? Well the source questions are based around provenance (where it comes from), tone (how its said), emphasis (what is said) and content (whether what is said is tru.
The essays are fairly intuitive- but the main difference is that you pick a viewpoint from the start and use your essay to explain why you think what you think (with evidence).

What else for medicine? Mmm itis a difficult one at GCSE at this stage, just pick subjects you are good at or enjoy the most. Just make sure, whatever you do, that you work your socks off in English, Maths and the Sciences at least (they're the subjects that really count when applying- some med schools take into account your sciences, maths and english separately and then only take 2 of your options and assign numerical weighted values to them (eg: A*=2 A=1 etc))

Hope that helps.
Original post by cathasatail
Not good with dead people? Are you sure medicine is the right career? :wink:

Advice for history? Well the source questions are based around provenance (where it comes from), tone (how its said), emphasis (what is said) and content (whether what is said is tru.
The essays are fairly intuitive- but the main difference is that you pick a viewpoint from the start and use your essay to explain why you think what you think (with evidence).

What else for medicine? Mmm itis a difficult one at GCSE at this stage, just pick subjects you are good at or enjoy the most. Just make sure, whatever you do, that you work your socks off in English, Maths and the Sciences at least (they're the subjects that really count when applying- some med schools take into account your sciences, maths and english separately and then only take 2 of your options and assign numerical weighted values to them (eg: A*=2 A=1 etc))

Hope that helps.

Oh yeah true. XD I'm fine with blood and guts tho. I think I'm just more paranoid about dead people because I dislike ghosts and zombies.

I hate analysing sources mainly because the sources suck. It's so blurry and monochrome so it's hard to see what's there. Also, you need to use your own knowledge to actually understand it which if you don't understand the source, you're technically screwed. I think I'm better off at writing and remembering the dates instead of analysing the sources. And that is also why I hate English, you need evidence as well. ;_; Thanks. I'm sorry if I offended you since you seem to like History very much.

Is it true that you can take further maths at GCSEs if you're good at maths? I will do 9 GCSEsight now and I really want to take further maths.

Quick Reply

Latest